Fuel lines? when do they give trouble?

  • concoursbdh
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2008
      Hi. Got my bike apart right now doing a few things and checking the
      hoses, etc... Bike is an '02 Trophy 1200. Lines feel good, and parts
      appear to be molded. My main question is this: When do most people
      have trouble with kinked lines and such, looks to me like you would
      buying and using regular fuel hose due to it not wanting to lay the
      way the stock hoses do? What problem do most have with these and the
      vacuum hoses? Thanks. New coils on and still waiting for new temp.
      sending unit!
    • Wm Snyder
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2008
        I tried one time using regular black rubber fuel line instead of replacing my moulded ones. Although I routed them quite carefully, they started to kink up at the bends after a few weeks, due to ...them shrinking????...due to...engine heat??? exposure to the fuel????
        I don't really know why, but they did. I've also found that every time I take them loose from the petcock nipples, I have to cut off the piece that was actually around the nipple, so I get about 2 tank removals out of each set before they start looking too short and need replacing.
        The vacuum lines are a bit more forgiving and I replace them with 25 cents a foot stuff from a lawnmower shop. Works great.
        I just bought a new left and right "fuel pipe" and they cost me 26 bucks and change for each, or around 55 dollars after sales tax. A little salty for two little bits of rubber hose. Every time you have the tank off for whatever, do everything you might ever want to do (check valves, renew plugs, clean or replace air cleaner element, czech on the coils, just do it all) so that you don't have to pull the lines loose again for a long time.
        Best Regards,
        Bill

        concoursbdh <moto2wheelin@...> wrote:
        Hi. Got my bike apart right now doing a few things and checking the
        hoses, etc... Bike is an '02 Trophy 1200. Lines feel good, and parts
        appear to be molded. My main question is this: When do most people
        have trouble with kinked lines and such, looks to me like you would
        buying and using regular fuel hose due to it not wanting to lay the
        way the stock hoses do? What problem do most have with these and the
        vacuum hoses? Thanks. New coils on and still waiting for new temp.
        sending unit!

      • Erv
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 26, 2008
          How long they last realy depends on where you live. I live in Texas
          with the high heat and my stock fuel lines started to deteriorate after
          a couple of years(I have an '02 1200 purchased new). Replace with
          5/16'' ID Auto high preasure fuel line and a pair of Motion Pro Fuel
          Line Couplers(appx $15ea-makes taking of the tank a WHOLE lot
          easier!!!!). I routed both lines around to the right side so there are
          no kinks. I also used the same line to replace the factory lines
          between the carbs(I think I used appx 6' of fuel line total). Also use
          1/8" ID Auto vacuum line to replace the stock line. Thicker walls =
          less chance of kinking and shutting off fuel flow from the petcock.
          Hope this helps.
          Erv
          Deep in the Heart of Texas!!
        • stef kirk
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 27, 2008
            Its all down to bad design on Triumphs part. There isnt enough room
            between the fuel tap (petcock) and the frame, so the vacuum line has to
            make more or less a 90o bend, replacing it with braided/stiffer line helps.

            Stef
            Scotland