RE: Petcock worries causing no start....

  • Robert Clark
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
      your petcock may just need cleaning. If the machine has been sitting
      and there is any debris in the tank the plunger and diaphram could get
      sticky. A replacement diphram and plunger are cheap and avaialable at
      the dealer also. I cleaned my assembly and replaced the diaphram. No
      problems now. I chalk it up to being caused by NOT having used Stabil
      each winter. Now I use Stabil.

      Bob Clark
      01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
      96 Magna Red Honda PC-800
      71 Suzuki T-500
      Augusta, GA

      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=290450/grpspId=1705126259/ms
      gId=61559/stime=1202095228/nc1=4767085/nc2=3848621/nc3=5170419>

    • Alec Gore
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
        Thanks Colin, will take a look. I did notice the plastic tap now rotates
        through 360 degrees, whereas previously I thought there was a stop
        somewhere?

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
          I had a similar experience last October. Right down to the joy of
          experiencing the fuel cutoff sensation in rush hour traffic on our
          local Interstate. Pulled off to the side, and had it trailered to the
          dealer (only 2 miles away). I'd just had the fuel & vacuum lines
          replaced, so the next (and last) thing to change out was that vacuum
          operated petcock. In my case, that seems to have fixed the problem
          (which had caused me intermittent problems for about 2 years). I've put
          on over 1000 miles since the new petcock, and no more problems.

          Hope you get yours fixed soon!
          Jack Goertz
          Birmingham, AL
          '96 Trophy 1200
          '00 Legend TT 900
          '07 Suzuki DL650

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Gore" <e-mail@...> wrote:

          > Yes, agreed. Time to sort my petcock and fuel lines out (again). I was
          > coming down the M3 yesterday afternoon and switched to reserve.
          Splutter,
          > splutter, cough cough and I dive for a gap in the traffic and roll
          down theon the normal ON position. Bike ran like a dream all day through
          > 160 miles of advanced training through 5 counties - W. Sussex, Hants,
          > Dorset, Somerset and Wilts. Glorious crisp, sunny winter's day.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Alec
          >
          > <snip>
        • oldchina
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
            Hi All,

            I also had a problem with the petcock knob spinning on the shaft. Discovered
            the knob had busted on the shaft. Got the poops & made a Metal knob about 13
            mths ago. Have not had a problem with the knob since.

            Cheers, Oldchina (from OZ)

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
              Hey Jack? Did you find a non-vacume petcock that would
              fit right on the existing tank's fitment? If so,
              where? I'd sure go for changing out.
              --- JackGoertz <tandems@...> wrote:

              > I had a similar experience last October. Right down
              > to the joy of
              > experiencing the fuel cutoff sensation in rush hour
              > traffic on our
              > local Interstate. Pulled off to the side, and had it
              > trailered to the
              > dealer (only 2 miles away). I'd just had the fuel &
              > vacuum lines
              > replaced, so the next (and last) thing to change out
              > was that vacuum
              > operated petcock. In my case, that seems to have
              > fixed the problem
              > (which had caused me intermittent problems for about
              > 2 years). I've put
              > on over 1000 miles since the new petcock, and no
              > more problems.
              >
              > Hope you get yours fixed soon!
              > Jack Goertz
              > Birmingham, AL
              > '96 Trophy 1200
              > '00 Legend TT 900
              > '07 Suzuki DL650
              >
              > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Gore"
              > <e-mail@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yes, agreed. Time to sort my petcock and fuel
              > lines out (again). I was
              > > coming down the M3 yesterday afternoon and
              > switched to reserve.
              > Splutter,
              > > splutter, cough cough and I dive for a gap in the
              > traffic and roll
              > down theon the normal ON position. Bike ran like a
              > dream all day through
              > > 160 miles of advanced training through 5 counties
              > - W. Sussex, Hants,
              > > Dorset, Somerset and Wilts. Glorious crisp, sunny
              > winter's day.
              > >
              > > Regards
              > >
              > > Alec
              > >
              > > <snip>

            • Martin
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                This got me thinking. I leave the petcock on reserve all the time.
                Never move it (unless I have kinked the vacuum line and need to use
                Prime).

                I cannot see any reason to ever move the petcock, particulary given
                it closes when the vaccum is removed.

                Martin
                03 1200 in Graphite (15,000 miles)

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, oldchina <bfong@...> wrote:

                Hi All,

                I also had a problem with the petcock knob spinning on the shaft.
                Discovered the knob had busted on the shaft. Got the poops & made a
                Metal knob about 13 mths ago. Have not had a problem with the knob
                since.

                Cheers, Oldchina (from OZ)
              • ervdrvr1
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                  I guess you could leave it in Reserve all the time, but what happens
                  when you run out of gas? You done burned up your reserve! I make it a
                  habit to rotate my selector knob about once a week just to make sure
                  it's not stuck and it works when I need it to. Beats sitting on the
                  side of the road dicking with it.

                  But that's just me.

                  Erv
                  Deep in the Heart of Texas!
                • Bieker, Mark
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                    You interested in selling some of your metal knobs?

                    _____

                    Andrew Tenerife wrote:

                    > Hello Everyone
                    >
                    > Needing a little help, I´m a first time Trophy 96 owner after a few years
                    > gap of riding, I bought the bike in England shipped it to Spain and am
                    > slowly doing the paper trail, but in the mean time...
                    >
                    > In the mean time stored it carefully and have taken it for a few spins
                    > until it stopped, stripped down the carbs to find them fully blocked,
                    > cleaned system and added 2 micro filters to the fuel lines, Amazing better
                    > than ever a true Triumph roar ..... another few spins and then again
                    > stopped, sounded like fuel shortage but full flow from drain screws on
                    > carbs, Engine and starter motor turn over with force followed by a couple
                    > of large "back fires"...
                    >
                    > Question.. Where to start looking ?
                    >
                    > I´ve flicked the clutch lever, checked side stand and waggled all the
                    > obvious cables, no easy fix...next step?
                    >
                    > Any ideas..
                    >
                    > Sincerely
                    > Andrew
                    >
                    > Looking for inspiration on a amazing looking machine that just seems
                    > un-trust worthy of it pedigree..

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.