1994 900 trophy getting hot

  • timsdomain2
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4 5:58 AM
      Hello, My trophy is getting hot on my commute to work (Leeds, England)
      it's only about a 30 minute ride from home but the cooling fan is on by
      the time I get to work. I inherited the bike from my father who passed
      away a few years ago. it sat in my garage for several years without
      any riding other that a quick once around the block to turn the engine
      over. I have drained, flushed and refilled the coolant to the right
      spec and level (the old coolant was full of brown rusty water) the cap
      seems good and there are no leaks anywhere and I haven't had to top up
      the levels since. The engine oil is at the right level. please can
      anyone let me know if it's normal for the engine to get hot (3/4 on the
      temp gauge) over this sort of distance/time (quite a lot of queuing as
      you can imagine)
      Thanks
      Tim.
    • Robert Clark
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4 6:42 AM
        If there was that much crud that came out of it, you might need to have
        the radiator flushed and or boiled out also. Remember the radiator is
        now 13 years old. Most Automotive radiators need to be professionally
        cleaned and flushed in less than 10 years also.

        Are you 100% sure everything was properly flushed and there is no more
        crud left in any of the passages? Are you using the correct
        specification antifreeze for aluminum block engines?

        Best Regards,

        Bob Clark
        01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
        96 Magna Red Honda PC-800
        71 Suzuki T-500
        Augusta, GA

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4 6:56 AM
          mail@... writes:

[...]

          All I can say is my experience
          Mine ran rough. It got hot. I too had no fluid leaking, nor oil
          The end result was a warped head. It was found that the fan had siezed and
          was replaced. 3rd one!!!
          I was advices as I said earlier to have a switch fitted and to run the fan
          on every start to keep the fan motor free.
          No trouble yet
          It did cause me to have £1500 of wasted work at a Triumph dealer, a
          complete engine replacement and a huge argument on the list. LOL!
          So my answer is....I still dont know what caused it. Maybe that fan!! I am
          now looking at having another go at the Temp Gauge idea for the future! My bike
          was a 99 triple
          John Bonnewell
          CYMRU AM BYTH.

        • timsdomain2
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4 7:01 AM
            Thanks Bob, I'm sure i'm using the right spec antifreeze - you are
            probably right about the age thing! i guess i didn't think it would be
            age that was causing the problem, my bike has done (only) 35000 miles, i
            think it would be worth flushing it again by the sounds of it!

            Thanks

            Tim.

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Clark" <apsllp@...> wrote:

            > If there was that much crud that came out of it, you might need to
            have
            > the radiator flushed and or boiled out also. Remember the radiator is
            > now 13 years old. Most Automotive radiators need to be professionally
            > cleaned and flushed in less than 10 years also.
            >
            > Are you 100% sure everything was properly flushed and there is no more
            > crud left in any of the passages? Are you using the correct
            > specification antifreeze for aluminum block engines?
            >

            > Best Regards,
            >
            > Bob Clark
            > 01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
            > 96 Magna Red Honda PC-800
            > 71 Suzuki T-500
            > Augusta, GA

          • Wm Snyder
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4 8:22 AM
              My Sprint's gauge always goes to 3/4 of the way to hot before the fan switches on, so U wouldn't consider that abnormal. I've done as John B. has and installed a manual override switch. Running the fan once in a while is a good thing, and I can switch it on at half-a-gauge and save myself the angst of watching the needle edge its way toward the red before the thermo-switch kicks in.
              Bill Snyder
              Hershey, Pa

            • Robert Clark
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4 8:39 AM
                Many people only think of a machines age only in Time on a Hobbs meter,
                or Mileage. What they forget is Corrosion and metal degredation starts
                the day it is manufactured and continues day and night all the time.
                Calender time is important. There are things that can be done to slow
                corrosion but unless you have it in the Vacume of space corrision will
                always occur. even in the vacume of space we aren't sure yet that
                corrision doesn't exist in some form or another.

                Don't feel bad. There are pilots out there with Lycoming engines that
                are advertising Low run times and beliving that thier engines are
                pristine with low hours on them. Lycoming specifications are stated
                that the Time between Overhauls is 2000 hours OR 12 Calender Years
                whichever comes first.

                Our Trophies are the same way, Sitting does them harm also. Service the
                radiator, flush the entire system and then ride it like you stole it
                OFTEN.

                While your at it, if the radiator hasn't been cleaned and flushed
                regularly it's a given the Clutch Fluid and Brake Fluids haven't been
                either.. They should be done about every 2 calender years as Brake fluid
                is Hygroscopic and does absorb moisture even without use. That moisture
                will corrode the insides of cylinders and lines. Be carful and make
                sure all of your body work and painted parts are removed from the bike
                and placed is a separate room when you do this. The Brake Fluid will
                destroy the finish and the plastic parts.

                Bob Clark

                Thanks Bob, I'm sure i'm using the right spec antifreeze - you are
                probably right about the age thing! i guess i didn't think it would be
                age that was causing the problem, my bike has done (only) 35000 miles, i
                think it would be worth flushing it again by the sounds of it!

                Thanks

                Tim.

                .

                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=290450/grpspId=1705126259/ms
                gId=61571/stime=1202139701/nc1=4767085/nc2=3848607/nc3=5170418>

              • pete-f
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 5 12:59 PM