Re: Sick of Snow redux

  • Peter Havas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
      Try setting your valves for summer: i.e. looser. You're dealing with winter climes, contracted
      metal.

      Cheers,
      Zaphod

    • Wm Snyder
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
        Yeah, I was thinking that the whole bike looked smaller. The wife says I look smaller too. :-{)>

        Peter Havas <zaphod@...> wrote: Try setting your valves for summer: i.e. looser. You're dealing with winter climes, contracted
        metal.

        Cheers,
        Zaphod

      • Greg Andrews
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
          Hi Peter, Good observation. I went and looked at my previous data on my
          green bike. The valve clearances would be set and perfect in the Spring.
          Later in the Summer when the valves were checked again, almost all the
          valve clearances changed .001 inch bigger. Come next Spring the
          clearances would go back to the original setting, then big again in the
          Summer. It has done this for the past three years. In three years some
          valves have moved a little and needed adjustments. But the growing and
          shrinking is a general condition of most of the valves.

          My last valve job was done on my blue bike. I shoot for .007 or .008
          in. for the exhaust, and .005 or .006 for the intakes. The temperature
          in my basement where I did the job was 73 degrees F. So if it gets a
          little bit bigger in the Summer that's okay.
          Greg Andrews
          '95 900 Nightshade
          '96 900 BRG