Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Trophy 900 carbs and jets

    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hey Stef,
      I notice more, and more "senior moments myself". If
      you are old enough, you'll recall those straight
      linear tread tires we all ran, just because that's all
      we could get from the Euro World. Tires have for a
      long time now have been made as an integral part of
      the overall suspension. It has finally come tot place
      where the M/C, and moto-tyre must depend on input of
      road, weather, temp, engine state of tune, wetness,
      etc...
      What I think you are referring to is the overall
      list of variables, and just how do we go about getting
      the best combination. I read what the tire mfgs have
      to say. In this litigious era we find our selves
      living, I usually stay pretty close to the mfg input
      for the first couple years. Then If I see something
      like my new dual density skins. Just to delay that
      ugly flat spot my tires used to get.

    • nort75mk3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2007
        Thanks to everyone for their input. I was guessing the tire had to be
        spinning in a way that the water had to be spun out of the way so you wouldn't
        hydroplane. Or loose traction in a dry condition....

        Tim
        96 trident
        96 thunderbird

      • Chris Singleton
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 22, 2008
          Hi again Craig,
          I'm just about to get back into it and change the jets on my 900 after
          a long delay over Xmas, etc. I must ask again, do you know why the
          center cylinder will be leaner than the others? It must surely be
          hotter than the others which is not what you would want?? I'm just
          about to order in those jets
          cheers Chris

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Craig LEE" <bendoccounty@...>
          wrote:

          > Chris, thanks for the follow up. Judging by where it is now to where
          > it will be after the mods, it will be a different bike. It should add
          > a lot of hp purely by opening up the airbox and correct jetting. Even
          > just uniformity across all carbys will improve things. Also a carb
          > sync. They can't be running right from what you describe. If it is a
          > California bike, it should have a certification sticker from CARB on
          > it somewhere. I think the are the equivalent of our EPA. I had an
          > imported Gold Wing from Cal. and it had several stickers referring to
          > CARB on it. Sounds like you're a bit handy and work on it yourself.
          > It's a great way to get to know the bike. Hope it ends up a tyre
          > shredding animal that scares the hell out of you! Well, hope it goes
          > bit better anyway. Cheers, Craig from OZ.

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Singleton" <cps@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi again Craig,
            > I must ask again, do you know why the
            > center cylinder will be leaner than the others? It must surely be
            > hotter than the others which is not what you would want?? I'm just
            > about to order in those jets
            > cheers Chris

            Chris,
            Most every Trophy that I have seen has a "slightly" leaner jetting,
            for the center cylinder(s). What I have been told, it is because
            that a hotter condition requires a proportionally leaner jetting to
            balance out the power.
            The gents that were tasked to set up this machine from the factory
            knew exactly what they were doing!!!

            I have changed my machines jetting to the same across the board
            because of obvious reasons.

            Tom D.
          • nort75mk3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
              I'm curious to why someone might think the center cylinder would be hotter?
              Its liquid cooled therefore all cylinders would be more equally cooled.
              Maybe back in 1969 but not now. I own three original 3 cylinder triumph's a 69,
              and a couple 75's and only once in 30 years have I holed a piston and it
              happened to be the right hand one, #3. I was running late and on the expressway
              and I believe I was running too lean. I probably should have had both gas taps
              on..........

              Tim
              96 trident
              96 thunderbird

            • Chris Singleton
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
                Yes you're probably right that liquid cooling on these modern engines
                will balance the temperatures much more.
                Read the web page www.thunderbike.co.nz/workshop/faq/index.htm Down
                near the end of that I found an answer.
                Chris

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, nort75mk3@... wrote:

                > I'm curious to why someone might think the center cylinder would
                be hotter?
                > Its liquid cooled therefore all cylinders would be more equally
                cooled.
                > Maybe back in 1969 but not now. I own three original 3 cylinder
                triumph's a 69,
                > and a couple 75's and only once in 30 years have I holed a piston
                and it
                > happened to be the right hand one, #3. I was running late and on
                the expressway
                > and I believe I was running too lean. I probably should have had
                both gas taps
                > on..........
                >

                > Tim
                > 96 trident
                > 96 thunderbird
                >

                > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in
                shape.
                > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?
                NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

              • Tom
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, nort75mk3@... wrote:

                  > I'm curious to why someone might think the center cylinder would be
                  hotter?
                  > Tim
                  > 96 trident
                  > 96 thunderbird

                  The inner cylinder are just that, surrounded (captive) by the other
                  cylinders. Each cylinder radiates heat, the outer ones are exposed to
                  the case and seem to have more surface area that is not exposed to
                  another heat source.

                  Seems logical to me, and apparently to the Engineering Staff at
                  Triumph, they called out the specifications!

                  Tom D.
                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
                    wrote:

                    > Yes you're probably right that liquid cooling on these modern
                    engines
                    > will balance the temperatures much more.
                    > Read the web page www.thunderbike.co.nz/workshop/faq/index.htm Down
                    > near the end of that I found an answer.
                    > Chris

                    Chris,
                    This seems to apply logically to the three cylinder but why did
                    my four cylinder have leaner jets? The head pipes are straight
                    through (not split), and the airbox and intake tracks are very much
                    the same!

                    Tom D.

                    "This makes perfect sense as the outer two cilinders are fed more
                    efficiently than the inner one. Just take a good look at the stock
                    airbox-system and you'll see why. Also, the outer two exhausts are
                    more or less strait through while the middle headerpipe is split in
                    two. All in all the middle cilinder has a less efficient intake and
                    exhaust and flows less air. Therefore it needs a smaller jet to get
                    the same air/fuel mixture and maximum performance. So far this is all
                    pretty logical in my opinion. Unlike most people think, temperature
                    has not much to do with it. The middle cilinder doesn't get any
                    hotter than the other two (a tiny bit, not enough to need different
                    settings)."
                  • nort75mk3@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
                      That Thunderbike Shop in NZ is quite a place. I visited them in 1996 while
                      on holiday. They do motorcycle tours and rent Triumph's & BMW's. Nice
                      folks.........

                      Tim
                      96 trident
                      96 thunderbird

                    • Chris Singleton
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 11, 2008
                        Hi everyone who's been following this. (Not the digressions on tyres
                        in the middle of the thread!) Just a report on how it all went.
                        I've fitted the 125/120/125 main jet combination, the #40 primary
                        jets, and set the pilot screws at 2.5 turns. I removed those odd
                        washers under the needles to standardise things - figured that if
                        needed to I may be able to remove the carburretor tops on the bike
                        and fit any washers needed. I checked and double-checked the float
                        height and fuel level, on the bench. This was easy with a length of
                        small silicon plastic tube and I set to 1 to 2 mm above the gasket
                        face as per Haines. (Weren't far out). I fitted the other side
                        snorkel tube and its silencer, and the new K&N element that was
                        waiting. The pilot screws I discovered I had actually put them back
                        to the 5 turns open that I had first found (it was a while ago!) and
                        this time on closer inspection two of the small o-rings and washers
                        were missing from behind the springs. Don't think I had lost those
                        before so more evidence of Mr. Rough Ba***rd being in there before me.
                        At the first startup, (used prime position firstly) it ran
                        immediately and needed about half choke for 30 seconds before it
                        would run smoothly while warming up. Before, with the pilot screws
                        set so far open it would run without choke almost immediately. This
                        seemed OK so far.
                        After a couple of solo rides it has shown more responsiveness and
                        power in the 3000-5000 rpm band and i generally don't have to change
                        down to pass as much, once up above 4000 rpm in top gear. I'm happy
                        overall. We've got a group ride coming up over Easter with pillions
                        and all the gear so that will be a good comparison for the miles per
                        gallon. I was enjoying it too much last couple of rides in the hills
                        and thrashing it a bit!
                        Thanks for everyone's advice. The bike shop couldn't really answer
                        that one of why the centre jet is smaller, but he rang me back after
                        they discussed my question amongst themselves and suggested it might
                        be because the air is hotter in the centre manifold, therefore less
                        dense, therefore less fuel need to make the mixture correct. All
                        these ideas and what you guys have suggested (less air flow to centre
                        cylinder, etc) seem relevant and probably all have a bearing.
                        Whatever the real reason is, doesn't it seem that the centre cylinder
                        would make less power than the outer two??
                        Other things I did while the bike was down was fitted bar warmers,
                        some super-bright LED's and lenses into the blinker idiot lights. Now
                        I can see them in the sunlight and there's less chance of that most
                        common occurence (now why does that bike in front of me keep flashing
                        his indicators left and right??). If I'd seen it it time I would have
                        done the mod to the airbox that was on another site recently and I
                        want to fit a temperature gauge next.