Re: Trophy 900 carbs and jets

  • Craig LEE
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 30, 2007
      I believe they also build the tyre with the belts wound on in a
      certain direction and overlapped. So when torque, rear wheel or
      braking, front wheel is applied, the tyre will work as intended.
      Cheers, Craig from OZ.
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2007
        Hey Stef,
        I notice more, and more "senior moments myself". If
        you are old enough, you'll recall those straight
        linear tread tires we all ran, just because that's all
        we could get from the Euro World. Tires have for a
        long time now have been made as an integral part of
        the overall suspension. It has finally come tot place
        where the M/C, and moto-tyre must depend on input of
        road, weather, temp, engine state of tune, wetness,
        etc...
        What I think you are referring to is the overall
        list of variables, and just how do we go about getting
        the best combination. I read what the tire mfgs have
        to say. In this litigious era we find our selves
        living, I usually stay pretty close to the mfg input
        for the first couple years. Then If I see something
        like my new dual density skins. Just to delay that
        ugly flat spot my tires used to get.

      • nort75mk3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2007
          Thanks to everyone for their input. I was guessing the tire had to be
          spinning in a way that the water had to be spun out of the way so you wouldn't
          hydroplane. Or loose traction in a dry condition....

          Tim
          96 trident
          96 thunderbird

        • Chris Singleton
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 22, 2008
            Hi again Craig,
            I'm just about to get back into it and change the jets on my 900 after
            a long delay over Xmas, etc. I must ask again, do you know why the
            center cylinder will be leaner than the others? It must surely be
            hotter than the others which is not what you would want?? I'm just
            about to order in those jets
            cheers Chris

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Craig LEE" <bendoccounty@...>
            wrote:

            > Chris, thanks for the follow up. Judging by where it is now to where
            > it will be after the mods, it will be a different bike. It should add
            > a lot of hp purely by opening up the airbox and correct jetting. Even
            > just uniformity across all carbys will improve things. Also a carb
            > sync. They can't be running right from what you describe. If it is a
            > California bike, it should have a certification sticker from CARB on
            > it somewhere. I think the are the equivalent of our EPA. I had an
            > imported Gold Wing from Cal. and it had several stickers referring to
            > CARB on it. Sounds like you're a bit handy and work on it yourself.
            > It's a great way to get to know the bike. Hope it ends up a tyre
            > shredding animal that scares the hell out of you! Well, hope it goes
            > bit better anyway. Cheers, Craig from OZ.

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Singleton" <cps@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi again Craig,
              > I must ask again, do you know why the
              > center cylinder will be leaner than the others? It must surely be
              > hotter than the others which is not what you would want?? I'm just
              > about to order in those jets
              > cheers Chris

              Chris,
              Most every Trophy that I have seen has a "slightly" leaner jetting,
              for the center cylinder(s). What I have been told, it is because
              that a hotter condition requires a proportionally leaner jetting to
              balance out the power.
              The gents that were tasked to set up this machine from the factory
              knew exactly what they were doing!!!

              I have changed my machines jetting to the same across the board
              because of obvious reasons.

              Tom D.
            • nort75mk3@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
                I'm curious to why someone might think the center cylinder would be hotter?
                Its liquid cooled therefore all cylinders would be more equally cooled.
                Maybe back in 1969 but not now. I own three original 3 cylinder triumph's a 69,
                and a couple 75's and only once in 30 years have I holed a piston and it
                happened to be the right hand one, #3. I was running late and on the expressway
                and I believe I was running too lean. I probably should have had both gas taps
                on..........

                Tim
                96 trident
                96 thunderbird

              • Chris Singleton
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
                  Yes you're probably right that liquid cooling on these modern engines
                  will balance the temperatures much more.
                  Read the web page www.thunderbike.co.nz/workshop/faq/index.htm Down
                  near the end of that I found an answer.
                  Chris

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, nort75mk3@... wrote:

                  > I'm curious to why someone might think the center cylinder would
                  be hotter?
                  > Its liquid cooled therefore all cylinders would be more equally
                  cooled.
                  > Maybe back in 1969 but not now. I own three original 3 cylinder
                  triumph's a 69,
                  > and a couple 75's and only once in 30 years have I holed a piston
                  and it
                  > happened to be the right hand one, #3. I was running late and on
                  the expressway
                  > and I believe I was running too lean. I probably should have had
                  both gas taps
                  > on..........
                  >

                  > Tim
                  > 96 trident
                  > 96 thunderbird
                  >

                  > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in
                  shape.
                  > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?
                  NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, nort75mk3@... wrote:

                    > I'm curious to why someone might think the center cylinder would be
                    hotter?
                    > Tim
                    > 96 trident
                    > 96 thunderbird

                    The inner cylinder are just that, surrounded (captive) by the other
                    cylinders. Each cylinder radiates heat, the outer ones are exposed to
                    the case and seem to have more surface area that is not exposed to
                    another heat source.

                    Seems logical to me, and apparently to the Engineering Staff at
                    Triumph, they called out the specifications!

                    Tom D.
                  • Tom
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
                      wrote:

                      > Yes you're probably right that liquid cooling on these modern
                      engines
                      > will balance the temperatures much more.
                      > Read the web page www.thunderbike.co.nz/workshop/faq/index.htm Down
                      > near the end of that I found an answer.
                      > Chris

                      Chris,
                      This seems to apply logically to the three cylinder but why did
                      my four cylinder have leaner jets? The head pipes are straight
                      through (not split), and the airbox and intake tracks are very much
                      the same!

                      Tom D.

                      "This makes perfect sense as the outer two cilinders are fed more
                      efficiently than the inner one. Just take a good look at the stock
                      airbox-system and you'll see why. Also, the outer two exhausts are
                      more or less strait through while the middle headerpipe is split in
                      two. All in all the middle cilinder has a less efficient intake and
                      exhaust and flows less air. Therefore it needs a smaller jet to get
                      the same air/fuel mixture and maximum performance. So far this is all
                      pretty logical in my opinion. Unlike most people think, temperature
                      has not much to do with it. The middle cilinder doesn't get any
                      hotter than the other two (a tiny bit, not enough to need different
                      settings)."
                    • nort75mk3@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
                        That Thunderbike Shop in NZ is quite a place. I visited them in 1996 while
                        on holiday. They do motorcycle tours and rent Triumph's & BMW's. Nice
                        folks.........

                        Tim
                        96 trident
                        96 thunderbird

                      • Chris Singleton
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 11, 2008
                          Hi everyone who's been following this. (Not the digressions on tyres
                          in the middle of the thread!) Just a report on how it all went.
                          I've fitted the 125/120/125 main jet combination, the #40 primary
                          jets, and set the pilot screws at 2.5 turns. I removed those odd
                          washers under the needles to standardise things - figured that if
                          needed to I may be able to remove the carburretor tops on the bike
                          and fit any washers needed. I checked and double-checked the float
                          height and fuel level, on the bench. This was easy with a length of
                          small silicon plastic tube and I set to 1 to 2 mm above the gasket
                          face as per Haines. (Weren't far out). I fitted the other side
                          snorkel tube and its silencer, and the new K&N element that was
                          waiting. The pilot screws I discovered I had actually put them back
                          to the 5 turns open that I had first found (it was a while ago!) and
                          this time on closer inspection two of the small o-rings and washers
                          were missing from behind the springs. Don't think I had lost those
                          before so more evidence of Mr. Rough Ba***rd being in there before me.
                          At the first startup, (used prime position firstly) it ran
                          immediately and needed about half choke for 30 seconds before it
                          would run smoothly while warming up. Before, with the pilot screws
                          set so far open it would run without choke almost immediately. This
                          seemed OK so far.
                          After a couple of solo rides it has shown more responsiveness and
                          power in the 3000-5000 rpm band and i generally don't have to change
                          down to pass as much, once up above 4000 rpm in top gear. I'm happy
                          overall. We've got a group ride coming up over Easter with pillions
                          and all the gear so that will be a good comparison for the miles per
                          gallon. I was enjoying it too much last couple of rides in the hills
                          and thrashing it a bit!
                          Thanks for everyone's advice. The bike shop couldn't really answer
                          that one of why the centre jet is smaller, but he rang me back after
                          they discussed my question amongst themselves and suggested it might
                          be because the air is hotter in the centre manifold, therefore less
                          dense, therefore less fuel need to make the mixture correct. All
                          these ideas and what you guys have suggested (less air flow to centre
                          cylinder, etc) seem relevant and probably all have a bearing.
                          Whatever the real reason is, doesn't it seem that the centre cylinder
                          would make less power than the outer two??
                          Other things I did while the bike was down was fitted bar warmers,
                          some super-bright LED's and lenses into the blinker idiot lights. Now
                          I can see them in the sunlight and there's less chance of that most
                          common occurence (now why does that bike in front of me keep flashing
                          his indicators left and right??). If I'd seen it it time I would have
                          done the mod to the airbox that was on another site recently and I
                          want to fit a temperature gauge next.