Noise at low revs - Normal

  • rickh1001
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
      Pete,

      Are you sure it is not simply the normal vibration band running from
      about 2500-3000 rpm? There was a good article on this many years ago
      by McDowel in the tech section of Rider magazine. With a
      counterbalancer, there will always be some (hopefully narrow) rpm
      region where the various engine vibration frequencies fall into a
      harmonic. For the Trophy 900 engine, the engineers deliberately
      placed that region just below 3000 rpm (2750 is the exact number for
      the triple), an rpm range not used for normal riding. So around that
      rpm, the engine produces its characteristic vibration "growl", which
      immediately clears up above 3000. It should also be much less
      pronounced below about 2500.

      This is just part of the Trophy character. Of course, if yours is a
      new vibration going down into the lower rev range, below about 2500,
      then it could be something new failing mechanically. Otherwise, its
      perfectly normal. I use it all the time to let me know if I am
      letting the rpm get too low while riding around town without having to
      look at the tach.

      Rick Hartwick

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, pete-f <peteforest@...> wrote:

      > Hi All
      > I have a noise at low revs in all gears upto 3000 rpm, when the
      engine is
      > pulling, it sounds as if something is out of ballance and it dissapears
      > above that figure. My Trophy is a 99 900 with 45,000 on the clock, any
      > ideas?
      >
      > Pete
      > --

    • Greg Andrews
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
        Hi John, I have been noticing a thunking sound at idle. I'm thinking it
        may be a rod bearing getting too loose.
        I can remove the sump, but can the big end be fixed with only the sump
        removed, or will it involve a total tear down of the engine? The bike
        still runs strong and smooth. I can't justify the cost of a total
        rebuild on an engine with so many miles.
        Greg Andrews
        '95 900 Nightshade
        222,670 miles
        TIA

        BWG3COY@.wrote: I had a noise come and go. I thought it was an
        alternator bolt. The noise did not sound like a big end at all. But it
        was!It is simple to check. Remove the sump and you can see the big ends
        John Bonnewell.
      • nort75mk3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
          Mr. Andrews, sounds to me like you've already got your monies worth . A
          total rebuild would be like money in the bank compared to the price of a new
          bike. Unless the ash tray is full and its time to trade up ?

          Tim

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
            nort75mk3@... writes:

            Mr. Andrews, sounds to me like you've already got your monies worth . A
            total rebuild would be like money in the bank compared to the price of a new

            bike. Unless the ash tray is full and its time to trade up ?

            New Trophy engines are cheap. And cheaper than pissing around with remove
            replace crankshafts ect.
            I got a new Engine £400

            John Bonnewell.
            [Charter member] _Blue Knights Wales 1_ (http://www.bkwales1.co.uk/) Reidio
            y Balchder

          • Greg Andrews
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
              Hi John, Two years ago I bought a wrecked Trophy. The engine looked
              okay, but a mounting tab on the head was broken off and needs to be
              rewelded. I'm in Kansas City and the spare engine is in California at
              my brother's house. Shipping the engine and swapping it out could be
              done. I'd rather fix the blue bike's engine if it wouldn't be too
              expensive. I bought my '96 900 BRG 50,000 miles and 5 years ago. My
              brother gave me the high mileage '95 900 as a parts bike. Damn, it
              runs so good I'd hate to take it apart and let it die.

              To the others that have posted a reply: I have no thoughts of
              changing to a newer touring bike. What bike is as good as a 900
              Trophy? I can't think of any.
              Greg Andrews

              BWG3COY@... wrote:
              New Trophy engines are cheap. And cheaper than pissing around with
              remove replace crankshafts etc. I got a new Engine £400
              John Bonnewell.
            • BWG3COY@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
                In a message dated 11/5/2007 3:28:54 AM GMT Standard Time,
                gandrews2@... writes:

                Hi John, Two years ago I bought a wrecked Trophy. The engine looked
                okay, but a mounting tab on the head was broken off and needs to be
                rewelded. I'm in Kansas City and the spare engine is in California at
                my brother's house. Shipping the engine and swapping it out could be
                done. I'd rather fix the blue bike's engine if it wouldn't be too
                expensive. I bought my '96 900 BRG 50,000 miles and 5 years ago. My
                brother gave me the high mileage '95 900 as a parts bike. Damn, it
                runs so good I'd hate to take it apart and let it die.

                To the others that have posted a reply: I have no thoughts of
                changing to a newer touring bike. What bike is as good as a 900
                Trophy? I can't think of any.
                Greg Andrews

                Seems you are quite lucky with bits
                If that other 900 runs good can you not put your good bits on that?

                You ae absolutely coreect. I have not found a bike yet that does all that my
                900 does. And now knowing engines are cheap I will keep it.
                And I have found an ex Triumph mechanic near me as well.
                : ) good luck. Look like you dont need it Bro : )

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Hii Friend
                  What a life! You have the choice of the two bikes
                  that I tell folks are a boon to own and ride. The 95
                  when the weather is hot, and the 96 when it gets dark
                  and cold. I doubt there is a bike made that sounds as
                  cool as those tripples..They will both run 500,000
                  miles. I'd sure never down one of those. Mightt be
                  tempted to see how cool a naked bike is for a while,
                  hmmmm?
                  Kindest regards,
                  Poppa Jack "95 BRG 1200/4
                  --- BWG3COY@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 11/5/2007 3:28:54 AM GMT Standard
                  > Time,
                  > gandrews2@... writes:
                  >

                  > Hi John, Two years ago I bought a wrecked Trophy.
                  > The engine looked
                  > okay, but a mounting tab on the head was broken off
                  > and needs to be
                  > rewelded. I'm in Kansas City and the spare engine is
                  > in California at
                  > my brother's house. Shipping the engine and swapping
                  > it out could be
                  > done. I'd rather fix the blue bike's engine if it
                  > wouldn't be too
                  > expensive. I bought my '96 900 BRG 50,000 miles and
                  > 5 years ago. My
                  > brother gave me the high mileage '95 900 as a parts
                  > bike. Damn, it
                  > runs so good I'd hate to take it apart and let it
                  > die.
                  >
                  > To the others that have posted a reply: I have no
                  > thoughts of
                  > changing to a newer touring bike. What bike is as
                  > good as a 900
                  > Trophy? I can't think of any.
                  > Greg Andrews
                  >

                  > Seems you are quite lucky with bits
                  > If that other 900 runs good can you not put your
                  > good bits on that?
                  >
                  > You ae absolutely coreect. I have not found a bike
                  > yet that does all that my
                  > 900 does. And now knowing engines are cheap I will
                  > keep it.
                  > And I have found an ex Triumph mechanic near me as
                  > well.
                  > : ) good luck. Look like you dont need it Bro : )
                  >
                  > John Bonnewell.
                  > [Charter member] _Blue Knights Wales 1_
                  > (http://www.bkwales1.co.uk/) Reidio
                  > y Balchder

                  > removed]

                • Ron Sands
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
                    >With a counterbalancer, there will always be some (hopefully narrow) rpm
                    > region where the various engine vibration frequencies fall into a
                    > harmonic. For the Trophy 900 engine, the engineers deliberately
                    >placed that region just below 3000 rpm (2750 is the exact number for
                    >the triple), an rpm range not used for normal riding.

                    In all the years that I have been on this list and other Triumph lists, this
                    is absolutely the best explanation of the "driveline resonance" hands down!
                    Kudos Rich!

                    Ron
                    Ron Sands rcsands@...
                    '02 T100, '96 Trophy 900
                    '69 T120R, '67 T120R
                    "Never ride faster than your angel can fly!"
                  • Tony D.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, pete-f <peteforest@...> wrote:

                      > Hi All
                      > I have a noise at low revs in all gears upto 3000 rpm, when the
                      engine is
                      > pulling, it sounds as if something is out of ballance and it
                      dissapears
                      > above that figure. My Trophy is a 99 900 with 45,000 on the clock, any
                      > ideas?
                      >
                      > Pete
                      Pete - Check the rubber chain slider on the swing arm. I thought I had
                      a serious engine noise developing and like yours, it was only when the
                      engine was pulling. My chain starting wearing into the swing arm and
                      made it sound like it was coming from the engine.

                      Good Luck,

                      Tony D. 01 1200 47K miles