Re: [TriumphTrophy] noise at low revs

  • BWG3COY@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
      nort75mk3@... writes:

      How about checking your timing chain? But then maybe you first should decide

      what kind of noise it is?

      Be careful here. I had a noise come and go. I thought it was an alternator
      bolt. The noise did not sound like a big end at all. But it was!!!
      It is simple to check. Remove the sump and you can see the big ends

      John Bonnewell.
      [Charter member] _Blue Knights Wales 1_ (http://www.bkwales1.co.uk/) Reidio
      y Balchder

    • rickh1001
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
        Pete,

        Are you sure it is not simply the normal vibration band running from
        about 2500-3000 rpm? There was a good article on this many years ago
        by McDowel in the tech section of Rider magazine. With a
        counterbalancer, there will always be some (hopefully narrow) rpm
        region where the various engine vibration frequencies fall into a
        harmonic. For the Trophy 900 engine, the engineers deliberately
        placed that region just below 3000 rpm (2750 is the exact number for
        the triple), an rpm range not used for normal riding. So around that
        rpm, the engine produces its characteristic vibration "growl", which
        immediately clears up above 3000. It should also be much less
        pronounced below about 2500.

        This is just part of the Trophy character. Of course, if yours is a
        new vibration going down into the lower rev range, below about 2500,
        then it could be something new failing mechanically. Otherwise, its
        perfectly normal. I use it all the time to let me know if I am
        letting the rpm get too low while riding around town without having to
        look at the tach.

        Rick Hartwick

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, pete-f <peteforest@...> wrote:

        > Hi All
        > I have a noise at low revs in all gears upto 3000 rpm, when the
        engine is
        > pulling, it sounds as if something is out of ballance and it dissapears
        > above that figure. My Trophy is a 99 900 with 45,000 on the clock, any
        > ideas?
        >
        > Pete
        > --

      • Greg Andrews
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
          Hi John, I have been noticing a thunking sound at idle. I'm thinking it
          may be a rod bearing getting too loose.
          I can remove the sump, but can the big end be fixed with only the sump
          removed, or will it involve a total tear down of the engine? The bike
          still runs strong and smooth. I can't justify the cost of a total
          rebuild on an engine with so many miles.
          Greg Andrews
          '95 900 Nightshade
          222,670 miles
          TIA

          BWG3COY@.wrote: I had a noise come and go. I thought it was an
        • nort75mk3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
            Mr. Andrews, sounds to me like you've already got your monies worth . A
            total rebuild would be like money in the bank compared to the price of a new
            bike. Unless the ash tray is full and its time to trade up ?

            Tim

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
              nort75mk3@... writes:

              Mr. Andrews, sounds to me like you've already got your monies worth . A
              total rebuild would be like money in the bank compared to the price of a new

              bike. Unless the ash tray is full and its time to trade up ?

              New Trophy engines are cheap. And cheaper than pissing around with remove
              replace crankshafts ect.
              I got a new Engine £400

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 4, 2007
                Hi John, Two years ago I bought a wrecked Trophy. The engine looked
                okay, but a mounting tab on the head was broken off and needs to be
                rewelded. I'm in Kansas City and the spare engine is in California at
                my brother's house. Shipping the engine and swapping it out could be
                done. I'd rather fix the blue bike's engine if it wouldn't be too
                expensive. I bought my '96 900 BRG 50,000 miles and 5 years ago. My
                brother gave me the high mileage '95 900 as a parts bike. Damn, it
                runs so good I'd hate to take it apart and let it die.

                To the others that have posted a reply: I have no thoughts of
                changing to a newer touring bike. What bike is as good as a 900
                Trophy? I can't think of any.
                Greg Andrews

                BWG3COY@... wrote:
                New Trophy engines are cheap. And cheaper than pissing around with
                remove replace crankshafts etc. I got a new Engine £400
                John Bonnewell.
              • BWG3COY@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
                  In a message dated 11/5/2007 3:28:54 AM GMT Standard Time,
                  gandrews2@... writes:

                  Hi John, Two years ago I bought a wrecked Trophy. The engine looked
                  okay, but a mounting tab on the head was broken off and needs to be
                  rewelded. I'm in Kansas City and the spare engine is in California at
                  my brother's house. Shipping the engine and swapping it out could be
                  done. I'd rather fix the blue bike's engine if it wouldn't be too
                  expensive. I bought my '96 900 BRG 50,000 miles and 5 years ago. My
                  brother gave me the high mileage '95 900 as a parts bike. Damn, it
                  runs so good I'd hate to take it apart and let it die.

                  To the others that have posted a reply: I have no thoughts of
                  changing to a newer touring bike. What bike is as good as a 900
                  Trophy? I can't think of any.
                  Greg Andrews

                  Seems you are quite lucky with bits
                  If that other 900 runs good can you not put your good bits on that?

                  You ae absolutely coreect. I have not found a bike yet that does all that my
                  900 does. And now knowing engines are cheap I will keep it.
                  And I have found an ex Triumph mechanic near me as well.
                  : ) good luck. Look like you dont need it Bro : )

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Hii Friend
                    What a life! You have the choice of the two bikes
                    that I tell folks are a boon to own and ride. The 95
                    when the weather is hot, and the 96 when it gets dark
                    and cold. I doubt there is a bike made that sounds as
                    cool as those tripples..They will both run 500,000
                    miles. I'd sure never down one of those. Mightt be
                    tempted to see how cool a naked bike is for a while,
                    hmmmm?
                    Kindest regards,
                    Poppa Jack "95 BRG 1200/4
                    --- BWG3COY@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 11/5/2007 3:28:54 AM GMT Standard
                    > Time,
                    > gandrews2@... writes:
                    >

                    > Hi John, Two years ago I bought a wrecked Trophy.
                    > The engine looked
                    > okay, but a mounting tab on the head was broken off
                    > and needs to be
                    > rewelded. I'm in Kansas City and the spare engine is
                    > in California at
                    > my brother's house. Shipping the engine and swapping
                    > it out could be
                    > done. I'd rather fix the blue bike's engine if it
                    > wouldn't be too
                    > expensive. I bought my '96 900 BRG 50,000 miles and
                    > 5 years ago. My
                    > brother gave me the high mileage '95 900 as a parts
                    > bike. Damn, it
                    > runs so good I'd hate to take it apart and let it
                    > die.
                    >
                    > To the others that have posted a reply: I have no
                    > thoughts of
                    > changing to a newer touring bike. What bike is as
                    > good as a 900
                    > Trophy? I can't think of any.
                    > Greg Andrews
                    >

                    > Seems you are quite lucky with bits
                    > If that other 900 runs good can you not put your
                    > good bits on that?
                    >
                    > You ae absolutely coreect. I have not found a bike
                    > yet that does all that my
                    > 900 does. And now knowing engines are cheap I will
                    > keep it.
                    > And I have found an ex Triumph mechanic near me as
                    > well.
                    > : ) good luck. Look like you dont need it Bro : )
                    >
                    > John Bonnewell.
                    > [Charter member] _Blue Knights Wales 1_
                    > (http://www.bkwales1.co.uk/) Reidio
                    > y Balchder

                    > removed]

                  • Ron Sands
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
                      >With a counterbalancer, there will always be some (hopefully narrow) rpm
                      > region where the various engine vibration frequencies fall into a
                      > harmonic. For the Trophy 900 engine, the engineers deliberately
                      >placed that region just below 3000 rpm (2750 is the exact number for
                      >the triple), an rpm range not used for normal riding.

                      In all the years that I have been on this list and other Triumph lists, this
                      is absolutely the best explanation of the "driveline resonance" hands down!
                      Kudos Rich!

                      Ron
                      Ron Sands rcsands@...
                      '02 T100, '96 Trophy 900
                      '69 T120R, '67 T120R
                      "Never ride faster than your angel can fly!"
                    • Tony D.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, pete-f <peteforest@...> wrote:

                        > Hi All
                        > I have a noise at low revs in all gears upto 3000 rpm, when the
                        engine is
                        > pulling, it sounds as if something is out of ballance and it
                        dissapears
                        > above that figure. My Trophy is a 99 900 with 45,000 on the clock, any
                        > ideas?
                        >
                        > Pete
                        Pete - Check the rubber chain slider on the swing arm. I thought I had
                        a serious engine noise developing and like yours, it was only when the
                        engine was pulling. My chain starting wearing into the swing arm and
                        made it sound like it was coming from the engine.

                        Good Luck,

                        Tony D. 01 1200 47K miles