02 Trophy 1200 tire choices!

  • concoursbdh
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
      Thanks for the replies so far on the topics that I have had questions
      on. Just bought the 02 vivid emerald green this last weekend, and now
      searching for tires. What do ya'll recommend for good mileage and
      stick? I have run avons av45 and 46's and the Michelin pilot roads.
      Actually liked the michelin's better, but all these were on the
      concours. Which tires won't cup to badly on the front and hold up well?

      Thanks!
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "concoursbdh" <concoursbdh@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the replies so far on the topics that I have had questions
        > on. Just bought the 02 vivid emerald green this last weekend, and
        now
        > searching for tires. What do ya'll recommend for good mileage and
        > stick? I have run avons av45 and 46's and the Michelin pilot roads.
        > Actually liked the michelin's better, but all these were on the
        > concours. Which tires won't cup to badly on the front and hold up
        well?

        > Thanks!

        1) Avon Storms
        2) Pilot Roads

        Nuff-said!!!

        Tom D.
      • concoursbdh
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
          > I have read on a tire store site, I think SWMototires that they
          don't recommend the Avon 120/70/17 due to all of them that they have
          been getting back in returns. Anyone here have any trouble that is
          running them?

        • deanbar@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
            No problems with mine

            From: "concoursbdh" <concoursbdh@...>

            Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:11:52
            To:TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [TriumphTrophy] Re: 02 Trophy 1200 tire choices!

            > I have read on a tire store site, I think SWMototires that they
            don't recommend the Avon 120/70/17 due to all of them that they have
            been getting back in returns. Anyone here have any trouble that is
            running them?

            > 1) Avon Storms
            > 2) Pilot Roads
            >
            > Nuff-said!!!
            >
            > Tom D.

          • John Lindstrom
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
              I've got Storms on and really like them. I'll be taking my '00 TT1200 to Mexico in Dec. around the 10th. Anybody wanna go with?
              John
              Milwaukee

              concoursbdh <concoursbdh@...> wrote:
              > I have read on a tire store site, I think SWMototires that they
              don't recommend the Avon 120/70/17 due to all of them that they have
              been getting back in returns. Anyone here have any trouble that is
              running them?

              > 1) Avon Storms
              > 2) Pilot Roads
              >
              > Nuff-said!!!
              >
              > Tom D.

              List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
                I put the Avon Storms on my Trident this year. I got 5,500 miles out of the
                rear tire. We, two up did a 4,500 mile trip to Utah and back in mid July
                during all that 100 degree heat. I had to buy a rear tire about 250 miles from
                home to finish the trip. We wore the tire out till it won't hold air anymore.
                Good handling tire but too soft.....................

                Tim

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
                  In a message dated 10/31/2007 5:33:57 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                  nort75mk3@... writes:

                  I put the Avon Storms on my Trident this year. I got 5,500 miles out of the
                  rear tire. We, two up did a 4,500 mile trip to Utah and back in mid July
                  during all that 100 degree heat. I had to buy a rear tire about 250 miles
                  from
                  home to finish the trip. We wore the tire out till it won't hold air
                  anymore.
                  Good handling tire but too soft........Good handGood

                  I'm 260 pounds + gear and have a Avon Storm rear with 6000 miles and has
                  about 2000-3000 miles left. Typical speed about 80 mph. No problems. Just put
                  a new front Storm on.

                • Robert Clark
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
                    Mine run Fantastic (Avon Storms)

                    Robert B. Clark, C.P.M., A.P.P.

                    Purchasing Manager, Further Processing

                    1150 5th St. Building 60

                    Augusta, GA 30901

                    (706) 922-8525

                    robert.clark@...

                    cid:409334721@23022007-253A

                  • nort75mk3@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
                      I attribute the rapid wear to the excessive heat and the load the bike had
                      to carry. I have gotten about 10,000 miles from the old Avon dragon gt's they
                      used to sell.

                      ride safe..........

                      Tim

                    • Tom
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
                        wrote:

                        > > I have read on a tire store site, I think SWMototires that they
                        > don't recommend the Avon 120/70/17 due to all of them that they
                        have
                        > been getting back in returns. Anyone here have any trouble that is
                        > running them?
                        > >
                        > > 1) Avon Storms
                        > > 2) Pilot Roads
                        > >
                        > > Nuff-said!!!
                        > >
                        > > Tom D.

                        I also have heard some negative feed back about the the Avon's. But
                        it was due to the amount of balance material that was required. Some
                        of the tires take more than what has been seen with the other
                        manufactures tires. This may or may not be true but if you see how
                        much some of the car tires require, I would suspect that it will be
                        all become relative.

                        Tom D.