Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Triumph factory visit yesterday

  • Stef Kirk
    Message 1 of 52 , Oct 1, 2007
      Shaft drive because if Triumph want to compete against the might of Japan
      and BMW in the big tourer market they'll need it. You wont get many BMW or
      Pan riders swaping to a chain drive, just the same as sports bike riders
      wont buy shaft drive.

      Giant trailys are becoming popular because a lot sports bike riders are
      moving away from hypersports machinery but still want something that handles
      but wouldnt buy a full on tourer.

      Interesting that some of you guys say you would buy another Trophy if
      Triumph made one, commiting before youve even seen a bike let alone test
      rode one. Seen exactley the same mentality on the GS forum guys putting down
      deposits on the R1200GS before they were even in the show rooms, more than
      one decided after he got his new bike that he prefered the older model, one
      bloke even went back and traded his new shiney 1200 in against his old 1150.

      Triumphs still a relativley small fish in a very big pond and apart from
      Yamaha no ones produced a one off stand alone tourer, all the others are
      developments of older or exsisting models. As the man from Triumph said none
      of there current engines can take shaft drive (and no they wont build it
      with a chain or a wittle sud 1000cc engine) and it will be a long time
      before they look at producing another Trophy. Think of the cost of
      developing and building a one off engine and transmission.

      Anyway they have a shaft drive tourer its called the Rocket III ;o)

      Stef
      Scotland

      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 8, 2007
        Okay now, John, be careful when you start wondering where the Yamaha RD series went! I LOVED my RD350 and sold it for what I paid for it a bunch of years after I bought it. Emission standards in the US and a change in the Learners license in the UK basically killed those bikes. If you can find one in great condition (three times at least its original selling price), you'll see how badly I feel to have ever sold mine. It was as fast as a Kawasaki Z1 (900cc) up to around 75mph, and believe me, that was FAST!

        The reputation for the CX-500, at least where I lived in California, was just AWFUL. A buddy of mine up here in Oregon had one for a while, and it reminded me of each and every problem one back in California. Reliable? I don't think so.

        I think we can all agree on one thing though. We'll all be in HUGE trouble if we are ever forced to replace our Trophys!!!

        Bud Izen
        '99 Platinum 900
        Turner Oregon