RE: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Wobbling in curves

  • Alec Gore
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 3, 2007
      Another cause of the wobbly feel is uneven loading of the
      panniers (bags) or the sail-effect of the top box.

      I agree with what's been said before and in order of causes, I
      would put:

      (1) Tyre pressure
      (2) Tyre profile
      (3) Suspension setting
      (4) Luggage loading
      (5) Rear wheel alignment
      (6) Rider bias to one side of the bike or orther (don't laugh,
      nearly everyone has one arm that relaxes more than the other or
      shifts less in the seat to one side than another).

      Regards

      Alec
      www.alecgore.com
      It's not just the way you ride, it's the way you think about the
      way you ride.
    • bmillard7291
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 3, 2007
        If Greg,John and I are going to meet up (That's if Greg rings me..LOL!)
        then I was wondering if there are any other members of the group living
        in Wales? Would make a great meeting and we could post a photo here at
        a later date.
        Cheers,
        Bob the hooligan! ;-)
      • Stef Kirk
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 3, 2007
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 3, 2007
            bmillard7291@... writes:

            If Greg,John and I are going to meet up (That's if Greg rings me..LOL!)
            then I was wondering if there are any other members of the group living
            in Wales? Would make a great meeting and we could post a photo here at
            a later date.
            Cheers,
            Bob the hooligan! ;-)

            That would be cool
            Maybe a regular meet say once a month. M&Ps is a regular meet for quite a
            few clubs. Because of 'Finks cafe' probably

            Triumph Trophy Yahoo (Hooligan) Wales 1 Chapter
            (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZC)
            (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZC)

            John Bonnewell. [Charter member] _Blue Knights Wales 1_
            (http://www.bkwales1.co.uk/) Reidio y Balchder

          • BWG3COY@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 3, 2007
              stef_kirk@... writes:

              Im sure someone will confirm this, or not, but doesnt it have preload
              adjusting rings on the shock body ?

              Stef

              Steph
              The preload is at the top of the shock in the form of a notched tightening
              ring
              And the rebound is at the bottom . That is adjusted by clicking with a small
              screwdriver
              Early and late models differ in so much as the early models had the preload
              adjuster under the seat and late models have the notched ring

              There is no adjustment for front forks for anything on late trophies but
              early ones had the rebound nut on the fork top
              If anyone needs the sheet tell me?

              John Bonnewell. [Charter member] _Blue Knights Wales 1_
              (http://www.bkwales1.co.uk/) Reidio y Balchder

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 3, 2007
                On Monday, September 03, 2007 at 4:05 AM Guy Dallaire wrote:
                But now, I always fear this bike will throw me out of control if I push it a bit...

                Hi Guy,
                reading your email reminded me of how my Trophy felt when I first started riding it. After reading about the results obtained by some members of the group, I changed the oil in the forks to 15wt without a whole lot of difference to the handling (cheapskate option - I'm now glad I did though), and then I put on some Avon Azaros. There's just no way to describe the immediate transformation of the bike. I went from having to wrestle an ungainly bike around corners to having one of the most exhilarating rides I've ever owned. It is now everything it promised to be when it seduced me away from the Yamaha I'd gone to buy, until today - more of that in a mo'.

                If your tyres are still newish, sell them on Ebay and buy some Avons (or Metzlers, or something else not made of cast iron). Really. Do it straight away and then go out and see how incredibly agile the Trophy (well, the 900 anyway) is. We don't have any straight roads around here, but if we did I wouldn't want to take the Trophy on them. The bends are just too much fun. Even if you find that it is a different problem causing your bike to weave, you should still replace the tyres (you really, really should). Oh, and never listen to that sensible voice that tells you that softer tyres wear out sooner. Of course they do, but you'll never stop grinning.

                Back to today. Returning from a quick shopping trip (the nearest shops are three villages away, not far - maybe 8 or 9 miles - dunno) and the front seemed to be doing its own thing going through the bends, like slipping on a bit of loose gravel except more gentle (does that make sense?). Got home without any problems, but I must have been trying to compensate by leaning on the front of the bike as my wrists and shoulders were aching - unusual for a short ride. I figured that low pressure in the front tyre was the most likely cause, although a thorough inspection (giving it a kick) showed that it was not. I grabbed the tyre gauge and foot pump from the garage and returned to check the pressure anyway.

                No need. The culprit was spreading in a puddle from my front wheel. Oil. All over my front wheel and the sides of the tyre. It was coating everything and running down the inside of the wheel and pooling under the front tyre. B*llocks. I'd had a similar situation a couple of years ago after one of the fork sliders got pitted by gravel (freshly gravelled road - boy cager racer burns off biker trying to stay upright - sprays everything with gravel as he speeds past). I used the Superglue and glasspaper method to repair the fork back then, and had forgotten all about it. I guess the Superglue fix finally gave out. The fact that I'd gouged out the original pitting to make it a bit deeper to give the Superglue a better hold only made the failure worse when it happened. So I won't be doing that again.

                I could kick myself because there were a pair of front forks for an early Hinckley Trophy on Ebay until yesterday. I'd considered bidding on them but reasoned that I was saving up my pennies to buy some proper suspension anyway (Ha! - see what happens when you listen to that damned sensible voice). So anyway, if you happen to discover that you have a right fork leg, or slider, lying around that will fit my 92 900, and you would like to sell it, please feel free to contact me off list - thank you.

                Cheers, Mike
                92 900 Red and Oily
                PS,
                Remember to change those tyres Guy.

              • Wm Snyder
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 3, 2007
                  I'd bet on Stef's diagnosis here (but you'd better check out any other possibilities, too). We just got back from a week-long ride through Pennsylvania,NY, Ontario and Ohio, with the missus on the pillion and all three cases packed to the max, and I was thinking that the old girl (the bike, that is) was sitting a bit low in the water aft. We got home, unloaded everything, and then I started to notice that the rear end bounces up and down like a pogo stick. Quite mortifying if you hit a pothole or a patch while running through a cloverleaf at a good clip. Yeah, the rear shock is trashed, but I guess it oughtta be at 80,000 mi. I think I'm goinmg to try riding it 'til at least some time after Halloween, as I hate a mid-riding season teardown.
                  Bill

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 7, 2007
                      In a message dated 9/7/2007 11:25:50 AM GMT Standard Time,
                      triumph595@... writes:

                      John I have an ancestor from Narbeth in Wales any idea where it is
                      Colin

                      Narbet is about 20 miles north of me in Pembrokshire.

                      Handle Every Situation Like a Dog

                      If You cant eat it or Screw it. Piss on it and walk away.
                      BORDER COLLIES ROCK

                    • Phil Smith
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 8, 2007