Trophy vs Consours 14

  • brillooo
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 10, 2007
      Just read the Motorcyclist write up on the new Connie. Seems it gets
      about the same mileage as my Trophy. The Connie has good mid-range
      starting at 4000 rpm but my Trophy pulls good from 2500 ! The Connie's
      windshield doesn't offer good upperbody protection but my Trophy does.
      Connie has heated grips as does my Trophy. The Connie weighs 100+
      pounds my than my Trophy. Handling ? I can't say since I haven't
      ridden a Connie 14 but am pleased with my Trophy's handling. I suspect
      the Trophy has more character (British bugs) but I can live with them,
      at least for now. Heat on rider's crotch and legs ? Motorcyclist did
      not comment on the Connie's but my Trophy doesn't give off too much.

      The question I pose is "Did the Trophy come along before it's time?"
    • Jack Martin
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 10, 2007
        I had a '99 Connie that I rode 70 miles a day, round trip, for my work commute. Once I eliminated the "Connie Buzz", she was a fabulous, bullet proof motorcycle. I finally wore her out and was considering getting a new 2006 model. Then I heard about the new one coming in 2007, so I waited.

        To be honest, I have yet to ride the Connie14, but I am hard pressed to believe it is worth paying an extra $6000 for, compared to the older model's brand new price. In the end, I decided I didn't like it's silver paint, anyway, so started looking for a new, unsold 2006. Then I stumbled across my enchanting Pacific Blue Trophy 900 and the rest is history.

        The Trophy is a better riding motorcycle than my Connie was. It's prettier, handles better, is marginally faster, weighs less, gets better mpg, and arouses more curiosity from the "unwashed". :) I can only hope it'll prove to be as durable as most of you say it is and as durable as my old Connie certainly was. So, to decide between the new Connie14 and my present, low mileage, 2001 Trophy 900 is a no-brainer for me.

        Man I LOVE that 3-cylinder growl............

        Jack
        Single Springs, CA, USA

      • Brian E.
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 10, 2007
          I had a 2002 Connie for a winter and really like it. It was a great
          winter bike as it gave excellent protection from the elements. It was
          not in the same class as the Trophy in anyway. The Connie 14 is a bad
          scooter and has alot going for it. The price tag and the (to me)
          unappealing design will keep me from it. I like the curves of my
          Trophy, and have yet to find any bike that does as much as well.

          I would definitely have another Older Connie. They are bombproof and
          parts (at least they use to be)are cheap and easy to find.

          I am sure the new Connie will find it's niche.
        • bmillard7291
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 11, 2007
            "Man I LOVE that 3-cylinder growl............"

            Jack,
            Now stop teasing the poor old 12oo owners! ;-)
            Cheers,
            Bob
          • C BENNETT

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 11, 2007
                I just read that they are putting out the 08s in metalic black in the
                near future. The Trophy 1200 weighs more then the 1400 Kawi. The
                trophy has much less power and does not get as good of a gas mileage.
                The Trophy also retailed for 12000+ back in 2002 and 2003. The Kawi is
                about 100% better then the Trophy in every ay except the lines and the
                looks of the Trophy are so much cleaner. And the Trophy has soul.
                Sorry to any sheeple that get offended of my assesment of the Trophy
                but everything I said is true. I will not be trading my Trophy for a
                Kawi and time soon. BTW I am in the market for an old muscle car if
                anyone has one for a good price. This summer heat has convinced me
                that riding a bike in 108F weather is just not humane to me.

                Ed

              • brillooo@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 11, 2007
                  In a message dated 8/11/2007 1:13:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  waleao@... writes:

                  I just read that they are putting out the 08s in metalic black in the
                  near future. The Trophy 1200 weighs more then the 1400 Kawi. The
                  trophy has much less power and does not get as good of a gas mileage.
                  The Trophy also retailed for 12000+ back in 2002 and 2003. The Kawi is
                  about 100% better then the Trophy in every ay except the lines and the
                  looks of the Trophy are so much cleaner. And the Trophy has soul.
                  Sorry to any sheeple that get offended of my assesment of the Trophy
                  but everything I said is true. I will not be trading my Trophy for a
                  Kawi and time soon. BTW I am in the market for an old muscle car if
                  anyone has one for a good price. This summer heat has convinced me
                  that riding a bike in 108F weather is just not humane to me.

                  Opps, The road test put the weight of the Concours at 618 pounds dry and I
                  don't know about your Trophy but mine is 518 pounds according to the book.
                  Mileage on the Concours in the road test was 32 mpg and your Trophy gets ??
                  Granted the Concours has more power but I don't use all my Trophy has anyway.
                  So for all your BS being true it's not. But you are right in that the Trophy
                  has better looks and may handle better and I know I got a deal on mine for a
                  brand new '03 Trophy for $7000 and there's a guy in Florida that got a new
                  '02 at the same dealer I did and he paid $6000 for his (his had a small
                  scratch on the right side of the fairing). Granted those were exceptions. I do
                  like shaft drive but with modern day chains it doesn't seem to be that much
                  difference since chains allow changing gearing much easier and less expensive.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 11, 2007
                    In a message dated 8/11/2007 10:13:45 PM GMT Standard Time, brillooo@...
                    writes:

                    Granted the Concours has more power but I don't use all my Trophy has
                    anyway.
                    So for all your BS being true it's not. But you are right in that the Trophy
                    has better looks and may handle better

                    I actually think that its quite a compliment to Triumph and the Trophy

                    The T3 engine design is about 15 years old, the Bodywork on my 98 triple Mk
                    2 is about 9 years. So for a 2007 1400 comparison to come up with that is
                    brilliant!

                    I think the Trophy will slip into a very classic niche and will always be
                    regarded as a good performance Sports tourer. It is very attractive and falls in
                    line with the 916, BMW R80s, Moto Guzzis, and many other bikes out their
                    that appeal to specific owners. I love my 77 Tiger 750, and Peace Officer
                    Special Edition Harley, the same way.

                    As I said, there is nothing out their that compares to what I want and have
                    in my Trophy.
                    Only thing I regret is slagging it off a while ago. : (

                    John Bonnewell. [Charter member] _Blue Knights Wales 1_
                    (http://www.bkwales1.co.uk/) Reidio y Balchder

                  • Alec Gore
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 11, 2007
                      Talking of which, John, I don't know if you ever road a Pan
                      ST1100 in the job? I didn't and only recently got to have a go
                      on one when an Advanced Riding client of mine let me try his.
                      What a lardy beast compared to the 1200 Trophy! No get up and
                      go, sloppy clutch, and didn't corner half as well as my Trophy.
                      Mind you, I did convince the rider that his biker would draw
                      small circles in a car park, even with a squared off rear tyre
                      and him sitting on the pillion perch saying, "But my bike won't
                      do that ...." Love it when they say that!

                      Regards

                      Alec
                      www.a;lecgore.com

                      BWG3COY@...
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 11, 2007
                        In a message dated 8/11/2007 3:28:25 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                        e-mail@... writes:

                        Talking of which, John, I don't know if you ever road a Pan
                        ST1100 in the job? I didn't and only recently got to have a go

                        Road: generally thought of as a clearing through which pavement of some sort
                        has been laid down to allow the finest British motorcycles, Triumph Trophys,
                        to travel unmolested by law enforcement officials. Rode: such as "I rode
                        down that road once before." Rode: past tense of "ride"

                      • Alec Gore
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 11, 2007
                          Phonetic touch typing after a bottle of Rioja!

                          Actually though, both road and rode have the same etymology:
                          [Middle English rode, rade, a riding, road, from Old English rd;
                          see reidh- in Indo-European roots.]

                          ;0)

                          And probably is the origin of the so-called RAT "raids".

                          Regards

                          Alec

                        • BWG3COY@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 12, 2007
                            e-mail@... writes:

                            Talking of which, John, I don't know if you ever rode a Pan
                            ST1100 in the job?
                            JB: No only Saints and BMW R80. I hated the clutch (Borg Warner Pressure
                            spring)and swing arm twist on right handers on the BMs. Bloody heavy too. I had
                            a CX 500 then. It was like sitting in an armchair on the way home LOL!

                            I didn't and only recently got to have a go
                            on one when an Advanced Riding client of mine let me try his.
                            What a lardy beast compared to the 1200 Trophy! No get up and
                            go, sloppy clutch, and didn't corner half as well as my Trophy.
                            JB: I found speed stability and acceleration OK, but as you probably know
                            most UK Blue Knights ride them, on ride outs? I am up their rears or pulling
                            away. They are not in the same league at all. Boring too Alec.
                            As for the new ones, a lot of officers have been killed on the 1300s and
                            forces have withdrawn them. Bit like the Suzuki TL1000s. All over the place. And
                            Cross ply are recommended!
                            Meanwhile the Trophy's are purring on..... <grin>

                            Mind you, I did convince the rider that his biker would draw
                            small circles in a car park, even with a squared off rear tyre
                            and him sitting on the pillion perch saying, "But my bike won't
                            do that ...." Love it when they say that!

                            JB: Yes they are great at all slow riding manoeuvres

                            John Bonnewell. [Charter member] _Blue Knights Wales 1_
                            (http://www.bkwales1.co.uk/) Reidio y Balchder

                          • mcatrophy
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 12, 2007
                              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, brillooo@... wrote:
                              > Road: generally thought of as a clearing through which pavement of
                              > some sort has been laid down to allow the finest British
                              > motorcycles, Triumph Trophys, to travel unmolested by law
                              > enforcement officials. Rode: such as "I rode down that
                              > road once before." Rode: past tense of "ride"

                              If we're going to get into English, how about these that are seen all
                              the time?

                              Its - belonging to it, as in "I loved my Trophy in spite of its
                              deficiencies"
                              It's - short for "it is", "it was", "it has" etc., as in "It's a
                              really great ride"

                              Your - belonging to you, as in "Your Trophy is nearly as fast as my FJR"
                              You're - short for "You are", "you were" etc., as in "You're not a bad
                              rider"

                              There are many more examples that exasperate me (I read what is
                              written, not say it out loud and try to make sense of what I hear).

                              Anyone want a proof reader?

                              OK, I'm off my soap box now.

                              mcatrophy
                              FJR1300AS
                              ex Trophy 1200

                              http://atrophy.lock.net
                            • brillooo@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 12, 2007
                                In a message dated 8/12/2007 1:14:33 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                mc@... writes:

                                --- In _TriumphTrophy@TriumphTrophTri_ (mailto:TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com)
                                , brillooo@... wrote:
                                > Road: generally thought of as a clearing through which pavement of
                                > some sort has been laid down to allow the finest British
                                > motorcycles, Triumph Trophys, to travel unmolested by law
                                > enforcement officials. Rode: such as "I rode down that
                                > road once before." Rode: past tense of "ride"

                                If we're going to get into English, how about these that are seen all
                                the time?

                                Its - belonging to it, as in "I loved my Trophy in spite of its
                                deficiencies"
                                It's - short for "it is", "it was", "it has" etc., as in "It's a
                                really great ride"

                                Your - belonging to you, as in "Your Trophy is nearly as fast as my FJR"
                                You're - short for "You are", "you were" etc., as in "You're not a bad
                                rider"

                                There are many more examples that exasperate me (I read what is
                                written, not say it out loud and try to make sense of what I hear).

                                Anyone want a proof reader?

                                OK, I'm off my soap box now.

                                mcatrophy

                                yeah man, you know where it's at !

                              • alex_dz
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 14, 2007
                                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "mcatrophy" <mc@...> wrote:

                                  > <SNIP>
                                  > Its - belonging to it, as in "I loved my Trophy in spite of its
                                  > deficiencies"
                                  > It's - short for "it is", "it was", "it has" etc., as in "It's a
                                  > really great ride"
                                  > <SNIP>

                                  Actually I believe it is the possessive version that gets the apostraphe.

                                  Alex
                                • Alec Gore
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 14, 2007
                                    Well, you're wrong. This is the exception that proves the rule.
                                    It also distinguishes "its" from "it's" where the apostrophe
                                    (sp.) represents the missing "i" in is. ;^)

                                    Alec (no "x")

                                  • Wm Snyder
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 14, 2007
                                      Nope, the possessive form gets no apostrophe, so as to differentiate it from the contraction, which gets the apostrophe. I just asked my English professor about this a week ago.
                                      "It's beginning to look like it will lose its masts."
                                      He also told me that nope is not a word.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 14, 2007
                                        You guys just did not get enough drugs when you were younger. That's
                                        all there is to it. LOL Ed

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 15, 2007
                                          No drugs, other than riding my Tiger Cub (when I wasn't fixing it).

                                          For the record, I quote:

                                          Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
                                          its /?ts/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[its]
                                          Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
                                          –pronoun the possessive form of it (used as an attributive
                                          adjective): The book has lost its jacket. I'm sorry about its being
                                          so late.

                                          End quote.

                                          Nothing like a quick stir!

                                          mcatrophy
                                          '06 FJR1300AS
                                          ex '02 Trophy 1200

                                          http://atrophy.lock.net

                                          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Walden" <waleao@...> wrote:

                                          > You guys just did not get enough drugs when you were younger.
                                          That's
                                          > all there is to it. LOL Ed
                                          >
                                          > > Nope, the possessive form gets no apostrophe, so as to
                                          differentiate
                                          > it from the contraction, which gets the apostrophe. I just asked my
                                          > English professor about this a week ago.
                                          > > "It's beginning to look like it will lose its masts."
                                          > > He also told me that nope is not a word.

                                        • Tom
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 15, 2007
                                            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "mcatrophy" <mc@...> wrote:

                                            > End quote.
                                            >
                                            > Nothing like a quick stir!
                                            >
                                            > mcatrophy
                                            > '06 FJR1300AS
                                            > ex '02 Trophy 1200
                                            >
                                            > http://atrophy.lock.net

                                            LOL!!!
                                            Thanks!!!
                                          • alex_dz
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 15, 2007
                                              Hey, I'm old. The important thing is that I'm absolutely SURE of my
                                              errors, much like...nah, won't go there!

                                              Alex

                                              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Gore" <e-mail@...> wrote:

                                              > Well, you're wrong. This is the exception that proves the rule.
                                              > It also distinguishes "its" from "it's" where the apostrophe
                                              > (sp.) represents the missing "i" in is. ;^)
                                              >
                                              > Alec (no "x")
                                              <SNIP>