Re: Cooling problem on my 96 triumph: Partly solved....

  • Guy Dallaire
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "geoffskeats" <geoffskeats@...>
      wrote:

      > My '94 Trophy 3 has a temp guage. According to my Haynes manual, the
      > guage was relpaced by the warning light on the Speed Triple and
      > Trophy from VIN29156 onwards.

      What a dumb move from triumph ! I wonder if the 94 gauge would fit on
      the 96 if I keep the 96's sending unit.

      The original trophys also had 151 BHP instead of 108...
    • Wm Snyder
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
        I'd check with a dealer to find out about the sending unit, but I would wager that it's not the same part. (I could well be wrong here) Also you could find one of the other members in possession of the Trophy fiche for your year and compare the part numbers
        The warning light sensor's job is to start conducting electricity at a certain temperature whereas the gauge sensor's job is to conduct incrementally higher current as the temperature rises, so as to swing the needle on the gauge.
        I would also be willing to wager that, if the sensors are different, they will fit into the same hole in the engine but, once again, I could be wrong. A friendly dealer with both parts in hand could certainly tell you though.

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
          Hi again Guy;
          Gauge website (VDO and others):
          http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=Elec_Engine_Temp&Series=Vision
          Good hunting,
          Bill

          wrote:

          > My '94 Trophy 3 has a temp guage. According to my Haynes manual, the
          > guage was relpaced by the warning light on the Speed Triple and
          > Trophy from VIN29156 onwards.

          What a dumb move from triumph ! I wonder if the 94 gauge would fit on
          the 96 if I keep the 96's sending unit.

          The original trophys also had 151 BHP instead of 108...

        • Gary Granger
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
            The Sprint and Trophy's with gages and warning lights used the same sensor
            in most cases. As an electrician I was hard pressed to believe this, but it
            is true. The gages themselves were different but the sensor is a resistive
            type and not an on/off style. If anybody has questions about temp related,
            or gages, or any part of the cooling system on 1200s, sent me an email, or
            search my screen name for posts. I have tested every part and piece of the
            cooling system on my 2000 and tested with infrared and contact type temp
            probes to verify. I have installed an after market and a Sprint gage on my
            bike. I have done the ground wire mod, fan switch, and extensive testing.
            The 900's never seem to have the overheat issues.

            Gary

            _____

            --- In TriumphTrophy@ <mailto:TriumphTrophy%40yahoogroups.com>
            wrote:

            > My '94 Trophy 3 has a temp guage. According to my Haynes manual, the
            > guage was relpaced by the warning light on the Speed Triple and
            > Trophy from VIN29156 onwards.

            What a dumb move from triumph ! I wonder if the 94 gauge would fit on
            the 96 if I keep the 96's sending unit.

            The original trophys also had 151 BHP instead of 108...

          • Ed Walden
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
              Gary I would like to install a temperature gage on mine. I have a
              2002 1200 if you can tell me what I need to do it I will do it. Ed

            • Ron Willoughby
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2007
                > The 900's never seem to have the overheat issues.

                I agree. Even at well above 100F up to around 115F I have had no
                problem with heat. I gets to about 3/4 on the guage; the fan kicks on
                and it drops to about 1/2 and stays there. Even in traffic! This is a
                95 900 with Speed Triple specs including 12:1 compression.