Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [TriumphTrophy] Help! I need fork advice!

Expand Messages
  • Wm Snyder
    What s a stell rod? C BENNETT wrote: Hi Eric I have just replaced my fork my fork tubes its quite a straightforward job do
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      What's a stell rod?

      C BENNETT <triumph595@...> wrote: Hi Eric I have just replaced my fork my fork tubes its quite a straightforward job do it now while the bodywork is off but you will need two special tools
      1) A fork seal/bush drift (about £50 UK)
      2) A damper rod extractor (I made mine by welding a 30mm nut either end of a 20 inch stell rod
      you will also need
      2x fork tubes (about £110 each)
      2x fork seals (about £10)
      fork oil

      Eric Nefflen <deepsea@...> wrote:
      I need some advice from the collective.. I'm in the process of putting my
      Trophy back together after a 'minor' crash last month, so getting this fixed
      quickly isn't as important as just getting it right for a reasonable price.
      When I bought the bike last year it had been parked in a garage for a few
      years before I found it. The forks had substantial surface rust and the
      chrome was cracking in some places, but not flaking off. I sanded them down
      with progressively finer sandpaper, and it slowed the leaking oil seals but
      didn't solve leaks. So now that the bike is out of commission for a little
      while I wait for painting and some other minor body work to be completed,
      I'd like to properly fix the forks.

      So what do you all think? Should I just replace the fork seals, change the
      oil, and cross my fingers or are there some other options I should consider?
      Replacement Triumph brand forks would run me about $1500, a little more than
      I'm willing to spend right now.

      I should say that the wreck didn't damage the forks, they're strait. They
      do have some small cracks in the chrome that you can (barely) feel if you
      run your had up and down them.

      Thanks,

      Eric

      '98 Triumph Trophy BBBB

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






      ---------------------------------
      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
      Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search.

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • rickh1001
      ... .. I m in the process of putting my ... this fixed ... price. ... Eric, There were just some Trophy forks on EBay not too long ago. They come up fairly
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Nefflen" <deepsea@...> wrote:
        >
        .. I'm in the process of putting my
        > Trophy back together after a 'minor' crash last month, so getting
        this fixed
        > quickly isn't as important as just getting it right for a reasonable
        price.
        > ... The forks had substantial surface rust and the
        > chrome was cracking in some places, but not flaking off.


        Eric,

        There were just some Trophy forks on EBay not too long ago. They come
        up fairly often, and of course the various breakers are a good source.
        I certainly wouldn't pay $1500 for a set, especially as they are just
        average quality damper units! You should find a good used set for
        around $200-300 max.

        All the Trophy forks are same from 96-03. The 96/97 used Kayaba, and
        the later Showa. They are of exactly the same physical dimensions,
        and are damped the same, so it doesn't matter which you find.

        Good luck.

        Rick Hartwick
        00 Trophy 900
      • Trophy Mick
        ... I would think that is a typo, and was meant to be steel rod;o) Mick,Scotland,UK.
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Wm Snyder <snydhack@...> wrote:
          >
          > What's a stell rod?


          I would think that is a typo, and was meant to be steel rod;o)


          Mick,Scotland,UK.
        • Wm Snyder
          Yeah, it took me until I got really curious and was looking it up and the spell checker changed it to steel rod (My mind was going over variations on
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            Yeah, it took me until I got really curious and was looking it up and the spell checker changed it to steel rod (My mind was going over variations on "stellite" and "stellar", and considering that it might be some British term for all-thread or a rebar.), for me to realise this. Better not quit my day job and try making it as a private detective, I guess. (:{>

            Trophy Mick <jmormerod@...> wrote: --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Wm Snyder <snydhack@...> wrote:
            >
            > What's a stell rod?

            I would think that is a typo, and was meant to be steel rod;o)

            Mick,Scotland,UK.






            ---------------------------------
            Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
            Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search.

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • triumphnutter
            ... more than ... Hello Eric, I think you should double check your price for fork tubes... you only need the male sliders not the entire assembly. The male
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Nefflen" <deepsea@...>
              wrote:

              > Replacement Triumph brand forks would run me about $1500, a little
              more than
              > I'm willing to spend right now.
              >
              > run your had up and down them.


              Hello Eric,
              I think you should double check your price for fork tubes... you only
              need the male sliders not the entire assembly. The male end ran about
              $180 US years ago when I replaced mine. Shouldn't be too much more
              than that per leg. It's not worth the aggrevation if they are not
              perfectly smooth... just replace them and be done, you won't regret it.

              Jonathan West
            • C BENNETT
              A typo should read steel Wm Snyder wrote: What s a stell rod? C BENNETT wrote: Hi Eric I have just
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                A typo should read steel

                Wm Snyder <snydhack@...> wrote: What's a stell rod?

                C BENNETT <triumph595@...> wrote: Hi Eric I have just replaced my fork my fork tubes its quite a straightforward job do it now while the bodywork is off but you will need two special tools
                1) A fork seal/bush drift (about £50 UK)
                2) A damper rod extractor (I made mine by welding a 30mm nut either end of a 20 inch stell rod
                you will also need
                2x fork tubes (about £110 each)
                2x fork seals (about £10)
                fork oil

                Eric Nefflen <deepsea@...> wrote:
                I need some advice from the collective.. I'm in the process of putting my
                Trophy back together after a 'minor' crash last month, so getting this fixed
                quickly isn't as important as just getting it right for a reasonable price.
                When I bought the bike last year it had been parked in a garage for a few
                years before I found it. The forks had substantial surface rust and the
                chrome was cracking in some places, but not flaking off. I sanded them down
                with progressively finer sandpaper, and it slowed the leaking oil seals but
                didn't solve leaks. So now that the bike is out of commission for a little
                while I wait for painting and some other minor body work to be completed,
                I'd like to properly fix the forks.

                So what do you all think? Should I just replace the fork seals, change the
                oil, and cross my fingers or are there some other options I should consider?
                Replacement Triumph brand forks would run me about $1500, a little more than
                I'm willing to spend right now.

                I should say that the wreck didn't damage the forks, they're strait. They
                do have some small cracks in the chrome that you can (barely) feel if you
                run your had up and down them.

                Thanks,

                Eric

                '98 Triumph Trophy BBBB

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                ---------------------------------
                Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
                Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search.

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • urco
                -- -Hi, You re in the US where maybe it s not so easy to find a good price for spares. I see a few people have suggested emptying your wallet for new ones, but
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  --
                  -Hi, You're in the US where maybe it's not so easy to find a good
                  price for spares. I see a few people have suggested emptying your
                  wallet for new ones, but , being a skin flint myself i would
                  research the possibility of having the stanchions re-chromed. A good
                  specialist can re-grind and hard-chrome them for you. You will have
                  to research in your area for a contact.
                  Another get-you-by method i've used is to mix-up some chemical-
                  metal, or similar product, fill the cracks and then smooth with very
                  fine wet/n/dry paper, then use a little metal polish. Replacement
                  seals will be necessary anyway.
                  Have a look at the 'Sprint manufacturing' website for UK prices on
                  seals and replacent fork stanchions, they can probably send to US
                  for you, they are very helpful.
                  All the best Urco
                  Tahiti '92 900/3

                  In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Nefflen" <deepsea@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I need some advice from the collective.. I'm in the process of
                  putting my
                  > Trophy back together after a 'minor' crash last month, so getting
                  this fixed
                  > quickly isn't as important as just getting it right for a
                  reasonable price.
                  > When I bought the bike last year it had been parked in a garage
                  for a few
                  > years before I found it. The forks had substantial surface rust
                  and the
                  > chrome was cracking in some places, but not flaking off. I sanded
                  them down
                  > with progressively finer sandpaper, and it slowed the leaking oil
                  seals but
                  > didn't solve leaks. So now that the bike is out of commission for
                  a little
                  > while I wait for painting and some other minor body work to be
                  completed,
                  > I'd like to properly fix the forks.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > So what do you all think? Should I just replace the fork seals,
                  change the
                  > oil, and cross my fingers or are there some other options I should
                  consider?
                  > Replacement Triumph brand forks would run me about $1500, a little
                  more than
                  > I'm willing to spend right now.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > I should say that the wreck didn't damage the forks, they're
                  strait. They
                  > do have some small cracks in the chrome that you can (barely) feel
                  if you
                  > run your had up and down them.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Eric
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > '98 Triumph Trophy BBBB
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >
                • Jim
                  ... some places...
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Nefflen" <deepsea@...>
                    wrote:
                    >
                    >>The forks had substantial surface rust and the chrome was cracking in
                    some places...<<

                    Check your local phone book for 'chrome plating' and you might be able
                    to find a local chromer who will strip, polish and hard chrome the
                    tubes at a very reasonable price.

                    Jim
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.