Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Stubborn Cam Bolts.

  • Andrew Bell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2007
      On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 03:38 +0000, Greg Andrews wrote:
      > Hi Craig,
      > When I finally got the torx bolts out I replaced them with grade 8 hex
      > bolts. Damn torx, why would somebody invent those things? If you only

      Use a GOOD HIGH QUALITY torx bit. No dollar store tools. Then give the
      cap bolt a light tap or two with a hammer before trying to loosen it.

      Or a good quality torx bit and a impact driver and a hammer, will do the
      job as well.

      Once one bolt is loose slightly re-tighten it and then try removing the
      other bolt.

      Or use the valve tool and leave the cam retainer bolts alone.

      Andrew
    • BWG3COY@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2007
        lglamb@... writes:

        I just recently went thru 2 torx bits on those caps
        as well. Finally got a good bit and got them off,
        but every one felt like it broke when it first
        loosened. Think I'll follow Greg's lead and replace
        them with hex heads.

        I would'nt.
        Stay with Torx and get Snap-On tool or equivalent. If you get Hex you may
        just round off the corners anyway. Bet your life they put the bolts in dry?
        Remember Ferrous Oxide and Aluminium Oxide corrode very badly, (Make
        explosive in fact) Caused all that serious damage on HMS Sheffield in Falklands war?
        So put copper grease on when you replace them

        John Bonnewell: Secretary _Blue Knights Wales 1_ (http://www.bkwales1.co.uk/)
        Cofion & Reidio y Balchder.

        Blue Knights Wales1
        Freternal Order of Police
        Royal British Legion Rider
        Welsh Guards Association Pembroke
        Infantry Junior Leader
        Son of Confederate Veteran (Colorado)
        Rides, Peace Officer Special, Triumph Trophy 900 and 750 TR7V with Knab
        Rockers