Re: Misfire

  • Ed Walden
    Message 1 of 75 , Apr 2, 2007
      Mc on the back of your tank are two nipples. The right one goes to the
      vent or drain from the gas lid. The left one is a vacuum breaker line
      which I have no idea how it works. Right and left as if you are
      sitting on the bike. What I gather is that the plastic valve is in
      line from the gas tank so that if your drop your bike gas will not leak
      out. One of the other owners here can explain it to us. I have
      checked mine and the valve is positioned so that gas can flow out of
      the line but that does not make any sense. Anyone here have the
      correct direction for which way in and out should be on this valve? Ed
    • gordon4046
      Message 75 of 75 , Jan 16, 2012
        Hi John, well done you!

        From what you have listed then 2) would be my favourite, but then I would say that wouldn't I ?
        3) always a good bet that the centre carb (#2) float bowl, being more difficult to get to, will have much more crap in it than #'s 1 & 3.
        3) - yes the second 3) No subsitute for removing and thoroughly cleaning all 3 carbs - Yes, I know it's a pain but it is worth it to know that all is well. Once I'd done mine (both bikes) I switched to using the Sh**l fuel that has the cleaning additive in it. Supposed to do wonders for keeping carbs clean internally. Not had any fuel related problems in the 18 months I've been using it - (OK, so I put 3.5 litres of Diesel in my MkII Trophy (Sharon) a while back but no damage done. Just an odd smell for a few miles).
        It's no more expensive than supermarket muck but is of a known quality. If it fouls up your bike you can sue them...but I don't think it will.

        I once had to drain about 7 litres of water from an MZ250 fuel tank - that's why I don't like supermarket fuel. Took ages to get them to check their storage tanks and when they did - they couldn't apologize fast enough. Needless to say the MZ coughed a bit then carried on regardless.

        Cheers
        Gordon
        '92 BBB Oxford Blue (aka Tracey)
        '96 BBB BRG (aka Sharon)