Re: Seating height-Will I fit?

  • shodan64
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
      I'm the same height & inseam as you. I always ride with a pair
      of "water proof" Carolina linemen boots with a thick heal & sole. That
      gave me an extra 2" height for manuvering my Trophy for parking.
      Otherwise my feet reach the ground, but I have barely enough friction
      to move it.

      Be careful with the front brakes at slow speeds if it has the OEM
      forks. The nose will dive and if you happen to have the wheel turned,
      you will have a problem holding her up.

      Besides that it's all balanced and a real smile maker on the road! :)

      John
      '99 Trophy 1200

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Lenny <motoleo@...> wrote:
      > I'm 5' 10" and have a 30" inseam. Curious to see if any other
      riders/owners are the same size as me or if there are any issues with
      seat height, to heavy steering at low speed, etc.
    • Lenny
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
        John and others,
        Thanks for the feedback so far.

        I do have a few additional questions.

        John, without your thick soled shoes and at a standstill (like at a traffic
        light) are you able to have both feet on the ground?

        I usually never try and park my bikes while sitting on them (unless they are
        low and light like the new Bonneville). I generally put the side stand down,
        get off the bike and then walk it back into a parking spot and the either
        use the side or center stand. How difficult is the 900 Trophy to maneuver
        this way? How difficult is it to put the bike on the center stand?

        Lenny

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
          For me, stopping at lights, in traffic, etc. I have no problems. I am
          about 75% flat footed with sneakers on (slide up REAL close to the gas
          tank, she likes that). Just use your feet for basic left/right balance
          and make sure you don't stop on an incline that runs perpendicular to
          the bike. If that is unavoidable, you have to lean the bike up hill or
          you WILL be replacing the blinker and swearing at fairing blemishes.

          As far a parking goes, if there is an incline I ride the bike up the
          slope and let the bike roll back into place. If it's level, you
          shouldn't have an issue. Personally, I think it's harder to park the
          bike when out of the saddle. Even in my garage I stay in the saddle
          and k-turn it until I'm backing into its spot. Then I get off with
          the side stand down.

          Pulling her onto the center stand is just a matter of leverage. Left
          hand on the handle bar, center her upright, pull the right hand lever
          out (connected to the bike frame), step on the center stand and pull!
          Make sure not to step too heavily on the center stand foot lever. It
          will bend. Try to keep most of your weight on the heal of your foot.

          These are the type of issues that prevented the Trophy from being a
          top seller and thus her demise on the production line. But in my
          opinion, the performance of this machine is worth learning how to
          handle her. We have to put special work in to keep our fine Ladies
          happy too! :)

          John

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Lenny <motoleo@...> wrote:
          ... without your thick soled shoes and at a standstill (like at a
          traffic light) are you able to have both feet on the ground?
          I usually never try and park my bikes while sitting on them (unless
          they are low and light like the new Bonneville). I generally put the
          side stand down, get off the bike and then walk it back into a parking
          spot and the either use the side or center stand. How difficult is the
          900 Trophy to maneuver this way? How difficult is it to put the bike
          on the center stand?
        • Ross
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
            I have a 34" inseam and the extra leg doesn't help much, because the
            foot pegs are exactly where my legs need to be when at a light or
            during parking. It is the single most irritating thing about the bike
            for me.

            If you want to do a lot of two up riding, I don't think I'd recommend
            any chain-drive bike.
          • pnwwill
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
              Lenny,
              Howdy. I am 5'9", 31 inch inseam. My seat is lowered such that a
              local seat builder said "You're sittin on the pan!". I wear police
              tactical leather boots and both feet rest flat on the ground. I added
              two medium thickness lambs wool seat cover pieces ($20 at the local
              retailer). As far as comfort, 6-8 hours in the saddle is plenty.
              I do not notice the machine being top heavy accept when tank is full
              and dropped it once when I first bought it.

              Safe rides
              Will '99 1200
            • C BENNETT
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
                Hi Lenny I'm 5'8'' with a 29'' inside leg and can easily manage a 91 trophy 93 trident & 94 sprint my 98 t595 was a bit of a stretch though.
                Colin

                Lenny <motoleo@...> wrote:
                Hi,
                I'm a new member and I do own a new Bonneville (02) and a 79 T140
                Bonneville. I'm considering purchasing a 97 Trophy and haven't seen it yet
                but I'm hoping I will not have a problem with seat height and my legs
                touching the ground at a standstill.

                I'm 5' 10" and have a 30" inseam. I've tried an 02 Tiger and that was too
                tall and top heavy.

                Curious to see if any other riders/owners are the same size as me or if
                there are any issues with seat height, to heavy steering at low speed, etc.

                Thanks,

                Lenny Seidman

              • C BENNETT

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
                    Once you learn the tech the bike is easy to put on a center stand.
                    At 5'9 and above and with a 30" inseam you should be able to reach
                    the ground on mid sole. Those are my measurements as well.
                    Especially with loose clothing. There are a multitude of seats that
                    will give you that extra edge if you need to lower the ride a bit. I
                    will not lower mine. I am afraid of losing the ride of the bike. As
                    for your method of parking the bike you should be able to do it
                    sitting on the bike but if you do it the way you say you do there
                    should be no problem. The 900 weighs a bit less then the 1200 and I
                    manhandle mine (1200) on occasion but never by choice. I even once
                    brought it up from almost the ground with one leg once. I have the
                    memories of pain in my head for a life time. Ed

                    I usually never try and park my bikes while sitting on them (unless
                    they are
                    > low and light like the new Bonneville). I generally put the side
                    stand down,
                    > get off the bike and then walk it back into a parking spot and the
                    either
                    > use the side or center stand. How difficult is the 900 Trophy to
                    maneuver
                    > this way? How difficult is it to put the bike on the center stand?
                    >
                    > Lenny

                  • taylorrguk
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Lenny <motoleo@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > I'm a new member and I do own a new Bonneville (02) and a 79 T140
                      > Bonneville. I'm considering purchasing a 97 Trophy and haven't seen
                      it yet
                      > but I'm hoping I will not have a problem with seat height and my legs
                      > touching the ground at a standstill.

                      I went from a '78 T140 to a '97 Trophy 1200 with no problem, and I
                      have the rear suspension raised ~1.5".
                      (I'm also 6'4")
                      Looked for some photos of me with my feet down, found these 2 from
                      hols in August '05, Austria.

                      Richard T.
                    • mcatrophy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
                        Lenny -

                        I had an '01 Bonneville (it seduced me back into motorcycling after a
                        35 year break!), and after a year I changed to a Trophy.

                        I am 5/8", 31" inseam.

                        The Trophy I found very top heavy (stationary), but once moving, no
                        problem at all.

                        As others have said: unless the steering is absolutely straight,
                        don't use the front break at parking speeds.

                        I could (at a stretch) just get my feet flat (normal motorcycle
                        boots). I found (when stationary) I would feel the foot-pegs behind
                        my ankles, and play springing them back/up, but not a problem.

                        Most likely to drop it with your foot slipping sideways when parking
                        if you choose something slippery to put your foot in (I've done this
                        twice, once on diesel spill, once in some doggy-doo).

                        Apart from that, I learned to let the seat slide me forward into the
                        tank. If you know you are doing it, you can ensure your manhood isn't
                        affected. If you try to sit back on the seat, you will be
                        uncomfortable and you will have trouble getting your feet down.

                        Again, as others have said, pick your parking place so you never have
                        to push the bike up any slope. Unless you are REALLY strong, you
                        won't do it.

                        Getting it onto its centre stand takes a little getting used to, but
                        once you master it, it is easy enough. Stand beside the bike, left
                        hand on the left bar, right hand on the pull-out lever. Use your
                        right foot to push the centre stand so it touches down, then slowly
                        push the bike upright until you feel the other centre stand foot
                        touch the ground. Now put all you weight straight down on your right
                        foot and pull back on bar and handle (keeping it all straight). If
                        you try to pull up with the handle you risk tipping the bike away
                        from you. It takes a bit of a knack, but it becomes straight forward
                        with practice. I would suggest having someone to stand on the other
                        side of the bike when you first try it, just to give you confidence.
                        And, if it is going wrong, just lean it back onto the side stand.

                        The Trophy after the Bonneville was a revelation, much more comfort,
                        handling, performance, grin factor. Oh, yes, much more fuel usage and
                        wind noise.

                        Hope some of that helps.

                        You can find more of my ramblings here:
                        http://atrophy.lock.net/atrophy/do/Trophy.html

                        Although I gave up my Trophy, it wasn't because of the bike, it was
                        due to an arthritic left little finger that gave me agony pulling the
                        clutch lever. My new mount has electric assistance.

                        mcatrophy
                        '06 FJR1300AS
                        ex '02 Trophy 1200
                        ex '01 Bonneville