Headlamp Failure !!!

  • grahameprior
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2007
      Hi All

      After dusting off the bike started it up (new battery Fitted) switched
      on headlamps dip and beam both went very bright then blew. Thought it
      was with standing over a year off the road , so put new bulbs in and
      it did the same again. all other lamps appear to be ok , the "!"
      warning light is on.

      HELP

      any thoughts on what to test for etc
      bike 900 trophy year 1999
      Many thanks

      Grahame
    • AJ Turner
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2007
        The "!" warning light means your sidestand is in the down
        position...unrelated to your headlamps.

        First of all.....did the bike start? I ask to be sure you didn't get the
        battery leads backwards.

        I assume the battery is correctly connected since you mention the other
        lamps are working OK.

        So from there I'd guess there's a short inside the headlamp switch housing
        on the handlebar or around the bike's headstock in the wiring harness
        feeding the headlamps.

        Relays normally just quit on you when they go bad so I'm guessing it's not
        the relay.

        AJ Turner
        '96 Merlot BBBB

        > After dusting off the bike started it up (new battery Fitted) switched
        > on headlamps dip and beam both went very bright then blew. Thought it
        > was with standing over a year off the road , so put new bulbs in and
        > it did the same again. all other lamps appear to be ok , the "!"
        > warning light is on.
        >

        > HELP
        >
        > any thoughts on what to test for etc
        > bike 900 trophy year 1999
        > Many thanks

      • mcatrophy
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2007
          It looks like the alternator is giving out too many volts. The
          headlight circuit is directly off the alternator main feed before the
          fusebox.

          I can't see why other bulbs haven't blown, though, unless your no. 1
          fuse has blown.

          It could happen; if the alternator was giving out far too much into
          the battery, I guess it could blow this main fuse, so the battery is
          no longer across the alternator. The other bulbs would still be lit
          safely from the battery.

          That's my theory, anyway.

          mcatrophy
          FJR1300AS
          ex '02 Trophy 1200

          http://atrophy.lock.net

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "grahameprior"
          <grahameprior@...> wrote:

          > After dusting off the bike started it up (new battery Fitted) switched
          > on headlamps dip and beam both went very bright then blew. Thought it
          > Grahame
        • nigel keating
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 23, 2007
            Sounds like there is a rectifier problem in that you are getting unregulated
            AC current to your circuit. You can do a basic check with a voltmeter across
            the battery with the engine running at about 3000 revs. From memory it
            should go no higher than about 14.5 volts dc. Not sure why the headlamp bulb
            should be the only one to go unless it's because it's the only halogen bulb.
            Guessing now though. The other possibility is the headlight relay but I
            don't understand how it can cause that problem. I hope someone else can help
            on that one.

            Nigel Keating

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
              Thanks for your help.

              On checking I found no 1 fuse had blown "The Headlamp Bulb one" !!! replaced it and all now fine. seems funny that when that fuse blows the lamps pop from the alternator

              <grahameprior@ ...> wrote:

              > After dusting off the bike started it up (new battery Fitted) switched
              > on headlamps dip and beam both went very bright then blew. Thought it
              > Grahame

            • mcatrophy
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
                Grahame -

                Chalk one up for the good guys!

                As for "funny", if you mean why the fuse blowing allows the headlamp
                bulb to blow, it can only be because the battery isn't holding the
                alternator's output voltage. I think you should keep a careful eye
                out for overcharging the battery.

                If by "funny" you mean why did Triumph design it this way, I suppose
                it keeps the voltage on the bulbs at the maximum for highest light
                output. But I still think the alternator output must have been too
                high to start off with. As before, watch for over-charging.

                mcatrophy
                ex '02 Trophy 1200
                FJR1300AS