Re: Michelen Macadam 100's

  • Trophy Mick
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2007
      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Walden" <WALEAO@...> wrote:
      I might go back to the 170/60s
      > just to get more wear out of the rear tire instead of just the center.
      > What is the latest opinion on the macadams. Ed

      I have run Macadams since the original Bridgestones wore out. For the
      price they take some beating, I get about 8,000 from a rear (macadam
      90) and because they are so cheap I change them as a pair. Last set I
      fitted (at about 31,000 miles) I was sent a Macadam 100 rear and a
      Macadam 90 front, a perfectly acceptable combination, and they handle
      well(Belgium,France,Andorra and Spain on these), especially in the rain;o)
      If I were to run them to their limit, I think 9,000 possibly 10,000
      miles would be possible.
      Reccomended!

      Mick,Scotland,UK.
    • Ed Walden
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2007
        Never mind on the michelens. They were the 90x and not the 100x.
        Makes no difference. I like bridgestone and dunlops. Never had a set
        of Avons. Ed

        > Why bother...
        > Get a pair of Avon Storms!!!!!!!!!!
        > If you are not vertical challenged and you want a quicker turn in,
        > install a "160/70-17" not the stock 170/60.
        >
        > In any case the Avon would be a MUCH better choice over the Macadam's.
        >
        > If you have to stay with the Michelin's, get a set of Pilot Roads.

      • Alec Gore
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2, 2007
          My choices

          1st (by far) Avon Storms - They are brilliant
          2nd Michelin Pilot Roads

          Regards

          Alec
          www.alecgore.com
        • John Parmer
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2007
            I'm learning that if I like what I have, I should probably stick with
            it. Tires preferences are just that. Bridgestone is replacing the 020
            with 021 which I intend to try, or perhaps the 014. I've ridden lately
            with a 012 front on the Trophy, but I don't think a 012 rear would get
            enough mileage. It's Bridgestone or Dunlop for me since that's what I
            know and prefer.

            ~ JP
          • Ed Walden
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2007
              Me too. I am looking at some Dunlops right now. Ed

              > I'm learning that if I like what I have, I should probably stick with
              > it. Tires preferences are just that. Bridgestone is replacing the
              020
              > with 021 which I intend to try, or perhaps the 014. I've ridden
              lately
              > with a 012 front on the Trophy, but I don't think a 012 rear would
              get
              > enough mileage. It's Bridgestone or Dunlop for me since that's what
              > know and prefer.
              >
              > ~ JP

            • Robert Clark
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
                My Avon Azuro's (ST45 & 46) have 9000 miles on them and tread still
                left.

                Is there an unofficial I-95 run this year heading south on 95?

                Bob Clark
                01 Sunset Red Trophy1200
                96 Magna Red Honda PC-800
                71 Suzuki T-500
                Augusta, GA

                Me too. I am looking at some Dunlops right now. Ed

                > I'm learning that if I like what I have, I should probably stick with
                > it. Tires preferences are just that. Bridgestone is replacing the
                020
                > with 021 which I intend to try, or perhaps the 014. I've ridden
                lately
                > with a 012 front on the Trophy, but I don't think a 012 rear would
                get
                > enough mileage. It's Bridgestone or Dunlop for me since that's what
                > know and prefer.
                >
                > ~ JP

              • Phil Smith
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
                  Don't know of the Dunlops... Compared...the Avons are like cleats on
                  the football field and the bridgestones are like tennis shoes.
                  :)

                  Phil

                  Makes no difference. I like bridgestone and dunlops. Never had a
                  set
                  > of Avons. Ed
                  >

                  > > Why bother...
                  > > Get a pair of Avon Storms!!!!!!!!!!
                  > > If you are not vertical challenged and you want a quicker turn
                  in,
                  > > install a "160/70-17" not the stock 170/60.
                  > >
                  > > In any case the Avon would be a MUCH better choice over the
                  Macadam's.

                  > > If you have to stay with the Michelin's, get a set of Pilot Roads.

                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Clark" <apsllp@...> wrote:

                    > My Avon Azuro's (ST45 & 46) have 9000 miles on them and tread still
                    > left.
                    > Bob Clark
                    > 01 Sunset Red Trophy1200
                    > 96 Magna Red Honda PC-800
                    > 71 Suzuki T-500
                    > Augusta, GA

                    Bob,
                    Glad to hear from you, Americade is on my sights.
                    Why not come North and I'll buy the first round!

                    Tom D.
                  • Tom
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Smith" <pjsmithres@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Don't know of the Dunlops... Compared...the Avons are like cleats on
                      > the football field and the bridgestones are like tennis shoes.
                      > :)
                      >
                      > Phil

                      LOL!!!
                      Ah yes, the Phil from the West Coast sure have a way with words...
                      Speaking of, has anybody heard from Phil K. lately?
                    • Ed Walden
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 4, 2007
                        Hey Bob. I see you have a Suzuki. I had the 73 750GT Water buffalo
                        years ago. I bought it when it was 20 years old and it only had 900
                        miles on it. Had to sell it a few years back when I tried to start my
                        own business. Wish I still had it. It was my first ground up rebuild.
                        Ed

                        > > My Avon Azuro's (ST45 & 46) have 9000 miles on them and tread still
                        > > left.
                        > > Bob Clark
                        > > 01 Sunset Red Trophy1200
                        > > 96 Magna Red Honda PC-800
                        > > 71 Suzuki T-500
                        > > Augusta, GA
                      • Phil Smith
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 5, 2007
                          I still catch him occasionally on line.
                          He's still up north (california)

                          phil

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 5, 2007
                            Hey Ed,
                            I just spooned an 021 on to my '95/1200, and did a
                            1000 mi. trip to Arizona this last weekend. It's a
                            dual compound tire with harder center. It sure was a
                            nice ride. I hit some very strong crosswinds, and the
                            bridgestones held like glue. Lots of Interstate miles,
                            and no flat tread in the center of the tire. I do like
                            them a lot.
                            Regards,
                            Poppa Jack

                          • OfficerRawson@msn.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
                              I am on my 2nd set of Avon 45 & 46 and have had no problems with them. I have to agree about 8500 -9500 is about right. I changed the last set only as it was approaching MOT time but at 8500 there was tread to spare.

                              Officer R

                              My Avon Azuro's (ST45 & 46) have 9000 miles on them and tread still
                              left.

                              Recent Activity
                              a.. 6New Members
                              b.. 2New Photos