Re: Fuel Starving?

  • Ed Walden
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 28, 2007
      Well I could not wait so I pulled the carbs. I once again took and
      flushed the gas tank. This time I broke down the petcock and cleaned
      it after inspecting the diaphragm. It looked good so I cleaned it
      and lubricated it and the formed orings. This time I pulled the
      carbs tops off and inspected all orings and diaphragms so there would
      not be any chance of missing anything. They all looked good so I
      lubed them and put everything back together. All orings were there
      and good. I then broke down the bottom half and checked it out.
      Disassembled the floats and the pilot needle. Cleaned everything and
      put it back together after lubing all orings. Everything was flushed
      with carb cleaner and I reassembled it. I then puled the small
      inline filters and there was some crap in them so I cleaned them
      out. Only at the pointy end but hey what can I say.

      So I have done everything suggested and tomorrow when I can start it
      up I will reinstall the carbs. I am losing my hair a bit so the idea
      of putting the carbs back in in the dark kinda made me think tonight
      was not the time to lose more hair. Anyway a state cop moved in next
      door and I am not too keen on cranking up the beast with a set of
      D&Ds on it at 10PM. Not to mention my wife may chose to pull the
      hairs off of another part of my anatomy. I will let you guys know
      tomorrow what the resultst are. Oh and BTW that damn new geared
      screwdriver I bought that someone here suggested allowed me to pull
      the carbs without pulling off the side fairings. Man I love my
      tools. Ed
    • Ed Walden
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 3 8:22 PM
        Yes, I have done everything I can with the fuel system. I even tried
        adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw to 3 turns and to 2 turns to see
        if it made a difference. It ran great for a while and then I stopped
        at a red light and the idle started missing again. Its embarrasing to
        be riding such a beautiful bike and a harley sounds better then it
        does. Its even started dying at low speeds now. I know its not the
        carbs, I think its not the petcock. I will check the spark plug wires
        and coils when I get home at the end of the month. I am in Richmond Va
        for the next month and no motorcycle. Life is so tough. I have a
        Chrysler Pacifica in the same color as my bike for a rental and I have
        to admit its nice but my wife says its gay. Oh well.

        Ed