improving early Trophy headlights?

  • Bil Swartz
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2001
      Greets all,

      I'd like to hear from any early ('94/'95) Trophy owners that have
      successfully improved the headlight, either by changing the aim or the
      bulbs.

      If anyone has an aiming guide, and/or a compatible bulb list (don't
      wanna melt anything!) please drop me a line.

      Thanks!

      Woovis
      bil@...
    • Bil Swartz
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001
        --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "Bil Swartz" <bil@w...> wrote:
        > Greets all,
        >
        > I'd like to hear from any early ('94/'95) Trophy owners that have
        > successfully improved the headlight, either by changing the aim or
        the
        > bulbs.
        >
        > If anyone has an aiming guide, and/or a compatible bulb list (don't
        > wanna melt anything!) please drop me a line.

        Unbelievable, no one? No replies?

        Has anyone tried the H4 55/60 or similar bulbs? Anyone? Beuhler?

        Woovis
        bil@...
      • Don Kames
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2001
          --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "Bil Swartz" <bil@w...> wrote:
          > --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "Bil Swartz" <bil@w...> wrote:
          > > Greets all,
          > >
          > > I'd like to hear from any early ('94/'95) Trophy owners that have
          > > successfully improved the headlight, either by changing the aim
          or
          > the
          > > bulbs.
          > >
          > > If anyone has an aiming guide, and/or a compatible bulb list
          (don't
          > > wanna melt anything!) please drop me a line.
          >

          > Unbelievable, no one? No replies?
          >
          > Has anyone tried the H4 55/60 or similar bulbs? Anyone? Beuhler?
          >
          > Woovis

          Bill,
          I have a '95 1200 bought new and have been using a 100/55W premium
          xenon boosted (130/71w intensity) for a couple of months. Puts out
          much more lite. These are available from Sport Touring
          Accesories .Before that I had a regular 100/55W H-4 in for a
          couple of years with no ill effects on the wiring. On aiming, I put
          the high beam where I want it with out it interfearing with oncomming
          traffic.
          I have also made several other improvements such as adding a "ride-
          on" rear fender from the 1200 Daytona with a further fender extension
          below the swing-arm to keep the tire from flinging muck,dirt,etc. all
          over the suspension linkages; extending (lengthening) the sidestand
          and adding aslightly larger "foot" so the bike doesn't lean over so
          far and has a larger contact area; braided brake lines; H-Bars
          from '91 & '92 model for a more sport-touring riding position;
          replaced the upper (straight) crossbar on the centerstand with one
          that has a thicker wall section as the original one was colapsing
          where it contacted the "stop" (bottom of the engine mount plates).
          I can furnish details on the size tubing used also how to make a
          simple
          jig to keep everything all aligned and spaced properly while the tube
          is replaced. Other mod's; rear sprocket change from 44T to 42T (used
          on '94 1200 Daytona) couldn't tell any difference in acceleration but
          fuel usage went up to 42MPG (US) average. Also later converted stock
          airbox to use "K&N" filter (Million mile garuntee and you can
          clean 'em, much less than buying a new unit over & over).
          Am thinking of fitting cams from a 1200 Daytona for more "poop".
          like I need it. If anyone does there own valve adjustments there is
          an automotive machine shop supply house that can supply those shims
          much more economicly that your dealer. These shims are fairly
          standard items and used in several cars.
          Lastly, some thoughts on oil, everyone should read the article that
          appeard in the febuary 1994 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News
          titled "motorcycle oils vs. Automotive oils along with their articles
          on oil from august '00, october '00 and november '00. I have just
          over 65K miles on my Trophy it burns no oil and I've had "0"
          problems. Since my "free" 500 mi. service when the dealer drained the
          initial break-in oil I have used Mobil-1 15W-50. I buy it on sale
          wherever I can. I've changed it and the filter every 5,000 miles.
          Some things to also think about this newer Triumph/Mobil 4T didn't
          come out till '96, before that Triumph recomended the Daytona models
          use full synthetic 15W-50 and all others use mineral or semi-
          synthetic 10W-40. Also remember the much publicized 900 Trident owned
          by the british chap who used it in his messenger business and drove
          it over 250K mi. with "0" problems in three years. That was 1995 a
          full year before the "4T" came out. The one common thread is to
          change the oil and filter every 5,000 mi. I look at all the excelent
          results recieved and that these machines were engineered/designed
          without the "4T" at $10 a Qt. in mind. Well there you have it , I
          hope this is a help to someone

          Enjoy

          Don K.
          > bil@w...
        • Pierce/Rogers
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2001
            Don, I have a 95 1200 and have not had any problems with the headlight. I
            must tell you that I drive with the high beam on all the time, day or night.
            In California, all the ninja bikes, and the one I have, 95 Kawa 900, have
            converted to the aftermarket blue and ultra white lights, so the cage
            drivers expect to see a bright light from a motorcycle. John.