Should I buy a Trophy 900?

  • derekpleb
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi all,
      I'm new to Triumph and am wondering about whether to buy an
      early '90s model. This will be quite a change for me, but I need a
      practical two up long distance machine. I have been riding 70's and
      80's italian machines for 17years so this will be quite a technology
      leap. My love for Laverdas makes me tend towards the 900 rather than
      the 1200, better mileage would also be a plus point. Why early
      nineties you ask? Well they seem to be very cheap with pristine
      examples going for well under £2K and more importantly I can add it
      to my classic insurance policy for free if it's over 15 years old.
      Can anyone help me with any of the following questions or any other
      tips you fancy throwing in.

      How much should I pay?
      Are there any models I should avoid?
      What kind of fuel mileage might I expect?
      What kind of engine life should I expect?
      What are the week points?
      What do I need to check when I get hold of one?
      Anyone got one for sale? I'm in Sheffield in the UK.

      thanks for your help!

      Chris
    • Ed Walden
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
        Well for one thing there is really not that big of a technology jump
        other then electric start and no points. Other then that try to buy
        the newest you can for the least amount of money and $4000 can buy
        you a very very nice late model triumph. Hell I have seen 1200s made
        in 1999 go for that.

        Ed
        :

        > Hi all,
        > I'm new to Triumph and am wondering about whether to buy an
        > early '90s model. This will be quite a change for me, but I need a
        > practical two up long distance machine. I have been riding 70's
        and
        > 80's italian machines for 17years so this will be quite a
        technology
        > leap. My love for Laverdas makes me tend towards the 900 rather
        than
        > the 1200, better mileage would also be a plus point. Why early
        > nineties you ask? Well they seem to be very cheap with pristine
        > examples going for well under £2K and more importantly I can add it
        > to my classic insurance policy for free if it's over 15 years old.
        > Can anyone help me with any of the following questions or any other
        > tips you fancy throwing in.
        >
        > How much should I pay?
        > Are there any models I should avoid?
        > What kind of fuel mileage might I expect?
        > What kind of engine life should I expect?
        > What are the week points?
        > What do I need to check when I get hold of one?
        > Anyone got one for sale? I'm in Sheffield in the UK.
        >

        > thanks for your help!
        >
        > Chris

      • Andy Lorenz
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
          I have a 1996 Trophy 900 for sale in Stafford, UK.
          It has 8700 miles and 5 (yes 5 ) owners from new.
          Full Service History.
          It is dark blue, with some scratches on it's left side.
          £1500 with an MOT, but NO TAX.

          give me a shout if you are interested, I can e-mail photos.

          Andy

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "derekpleb" <c.grigson@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I'm new to Triumph and am wondering about whether to buy an
            > early '90s model. This will be quite a change for me, but I need a
            > practical two up long distance machine. I have been riding 70's and
            > 80's italian machines for 17years so this will be quite a technology
            > leap.
            Not that much of a leap. CDI ignition, carbs, conventional clocks,
            more reliable electrics.

            My love for Laverdas makes me tend towards the 900 rather than
            > the 1200, better mileage would also be a plus point. Why early
            > nineties you ask? Well they seem to be very cheap with pristine
            > examples going for well under £2K and more importantly I can add it
            > to my classic insurance policy for free if it's over 15 years old.
            > Can anyone help me with any of the following questions or any other
            > tips you fancy throwing in.
            >
            > How much should I pay?
            Should get one of that age for well within your budget. Watch eBay or
            biketrader website.
            > Are there any models I should avoid?
            Very early ones with fixed front discs, sliding calipers & 18" rear
            wheel (restricts tyre choice)

            > What kind of fuel mileage might I expect?
            40-50 mpg. Depends on the nut on the throttle!
            > What kind of engine life should I expect?
            Provided the oil & coolant changes have been done, infinite.
            > What are the week points?
            You 'll want to ride it all week? (Coils and/or pick-up. Make sure any
            you look at continue to fire cleanly when hot - long-ish test ride?
            and that the radiator is brim full, not the expansion tank)
            > What do I need to check when I get hold of one?
            That the vendor is legally entitled to sell it! (Tyre wear - must be
            even. Rears flatten off with motoway work. Chain & sprockets last 10k,
            or 25k with scottoiler)
            > Anyone got one for sale? I'm in Sheffield in the UK.
            Good luck!

            Richard T
            about 40 miles east of you.
            '97 1200 Trophy
            '99 Thunderbird Sport
            Neither seen the inside of a bike shop except at MOT time!
          • bmillard7291
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
              Hi Chris,
              I own a '69 900 and love it! :-)
              Great for touring, although I added a custom seat as the missus was
              moaning the seat became a pain after a few hours of riding (she happy
              with the new seat!).
              Off the top of my head, the only bad points I can think of are:

              Weight- it's a big lump of a bike especially with a full tank and fully
              loaded. Just becareful moving at very slow speeds.

              Airbox- this is a real pig of a job to change but can be done with a
              handful of valium! ;-)

              Coils- some members have had strange problems with these (check the
              posts).

              Screen- this very much depends on you. Some like a taller screen,
              others like a shorter screen. Me? a taller screen is on my list as I
              find after several hours in the saddle with the wind hitting the top of
              my shoulders, they start to ache.

              Remember this is no supa dupa sports bike, just a really nice touring
              bike but saying that, rip open the throttle and hang on tight as it
              will put a HUGE grin on your face! :-)
              Cheers,
              Bob
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
                Howdy Friend,
                I have a '95 BRG Trophy 1200/4, and have zero
                experience with any of the other models. I can say
                that I think the '95 back models seem to be a bit more
                on the sport bike side, and I like the looks of them
                more than the newer models with that Elvis style
                headlite rig, and bigger fairing. The only
                improvements I've added is the seang micro swirl
                edging on my stock screen, and I've had the Racetech
                emulators and 1kg springs put in my front end. I think
                this is the best bike I've ever owned (most of my
                previous rides were H-D makes). It's Jap bike
                dependable, handles very well at any speed, and has a
                huge grin factor. I've used it as a daily commuter,
                and as a long distance touring machine that I could
                easily stay on for those very long days in the saddle
                (Corbin that is!). Solo or two up never make much
                difference to my Lady.
                I've ridden both the tripple, and the four banger,
                and couldn't say that threr was much difference in the
                power or ride, but I do like the sound of the triple
                more. It has an unmistakeable Triumph growl that will
                definitly turn more heads. I hear that the mileage may
                be somewhat better, but I get around 50 mpg on the
                road, at any sane speed.
                I've had mine 11yrs now, and in all that time I have
                not seen another bike that I thought I'd trade for. I
                enjoy the "old tech" nature of the bike as I don't
                feel intimidated by excessive electronics, or fuel
                systems. It is not a great slow speed bike, but at the
                same time, the sort of top heavy feel goes away as
                soon as you get moving at all. BRG is absolutely the
                fastest color, as all my breatheren will attest, but I
                think that this will only be noticeable at autobaun
                speeds. It isn't the delicate, or fragile machine that
                the Italians are used to, and will reward your buying
                price with many happy carefree years of riding.
                Another big plus is that one can find useable parts on
                the shelves of other marquis.
                Best wishes,
                Poppa Jack

              • Greg Andrews
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Hi Chris,
                  The fairing is smaller on the Trophy before 1996. More sport than
                  touring. The triple engines are the same. They had Mikuni carbs until
                  1998. The Kehein carb models get better fuel mileage. I get about 40mpg
                  U.S. My '95 900 still runs great with over 221,000 miles. The dual
                  headlights on the '96 and up are great. My '95 has auxillary headlights
                  mounted by the mirrors. No weak points.
                  Greg
                  '95 &'96 900's

                  "derekpleb" wrote:
                  > Hi all,
                  > I'm new to Triumph and am wondering about whether to buy an
                  > early '90s model. I lean towards the 900 rather than
                  > the 1200, better mileage would also be a plus point.
                  > Can anyone help me with any of the following questions or any other
                  > tips you fancy throwing in.
                  > What kind of fuel mileage might I expect?
                  > What kind of engine life should I expect?
                  > What are the week points?
                  > Chris
                • Ed Walden
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 1, 2007
                    jESUS man. You have over 200k on your trophy. You need to contact
                    Triumph and have theme give you a new bike for free. That is amazing.
                    Ok I guess now I am going to hear from members that have more miles
                    then you do. I only have 20k on my 02 but I was in Iraq for 2 years so
                    I could not ride it. Congrats

                    Ed

                    I get about 40mpg
                    U.S. My '95 900 still runs great with over 221,000 miles. The dual
                    headlights on the '96 and up are great. My '95 has auxillary headlights
                    mounted by the mirrors. No weak points.
                    Greg

                  • skipton78
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Walden" <WALEAO@...> wrote:

                      > jESUS man. You have over 200k on your trophy. You need to contact
                      > Triumph and have theme give you a new bike for free. That is amazing.
                      > Ok I guess now I am going to hear from members that have more miles
                      > then you do. I only have 20k on my 02 but I was in Iraq for 2 years so
                      > I could not ride it. Congrats
                      >
                      > Ed
                      >
                      > I get about 40mpg
                      > U.S. My '95 900 still runs great with over 221,000 miles. The dual
                      > headlights on the '96 and up are great. My '95 has auxillary headlights
                      > mounted by the mirrors. No weak points.
                      > Greg

                      Hi
                      Looks like I have a long way to go as my 92 1200 has only done
                      32,600 miles can't fault the Trophy they just improve with age.
                      so good luck in finding a Trophy you have come to the right place for info
                      Sedge 92 1200 oxford Blue
                    • Gavin Bruce
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                        Hi Chris,

                        Go for the early 90's bike. They look better and you shouldn't find
                        anything wrong with it mechanically. My 900 Trophy has done 71000 miles
                        and still going strong.

                        Gavin
                      • john binns
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                          Hi Chris
                          I have a 95 900 with a 99 engine in it, I’m also on my
                          third Duck. I use the Trophy for touring and commuting
                          both solo and two up. The bike is my daily ride, my
                          “grocery getter.” I bought the pieces separately and
                          spent about 2 weeks of after dinner time putting it
                          together. The bike was put through hell by the
                          previous owner until one of the con rods gave up and
                          tried to leave through the front engine case. When I
                          got it there was a few ounces of oil in the bottom of
                          the engine. In all my experience with the bike I
                          would characterize it as over built almost to a fault.
                          It’s big, heavy, strong, and can be a bit clumsy but
                          it’s also a comfortable place to sit (all day if need
                          be), Parts are easy to find, it will carry what or
                          whoever you may find home with you. it will reward a
                          steady hand as long as you remember how big and heavy
                          it is, and you can depend on it.
                          The niggles I have with it are: 1) the fuel tank vents
                          through the cap so your tank bag will smell of petrol
                          and if it’s like mine the foam padding will rot away.
                          2) the main chaises ground (one of the alternator
                          bolts) needs to be constantly checked for security. 3)
                          the weight of the bike hopelessly overpowers the side
                          and center stands. I’ve had my side stand reinforced
                          but it still leans over too far. Hoisting it onto the
                          center stand even without a load is a strain. I
                          thought about replacing it with a new sprint but I
                          bought a new duck instead. The sprint would not be as
                          good a sport bike as the ducati and it would not be as
                          carefree or inexpensive as the Trophy. So all in all
                          I’m happy with my little fleet as it is.

                          Don't pick lemons.
                          See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                          http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
                        • Ross
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                            John, re: your sidestand, I found out a couple weeks ago that the '99-
                            up stand is a little longer to make the bike sit up straighter. Check
                            back through the threads.
                          • bty20815053
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 30, 2007
                              wrote:

                              > Hi all,
                              > I'm new to Triumph and am wondering about whether to buy an
                              > early '90s model.

                              <snipped by group owner - something the poster should be doing!!)>

                              Go for a post 93 model as they have some minor gearbox mods and a
                              better finish have you tried ebay or the mcn website