New AVONs for what it's worth

  • Phil Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
      Someone here mentioned the new STORMs.
      I sent a note to AVON as I can't find any Azaros in San Diego at the
      two shops that usually have them.
      The shop that ususally gets the tires said they are not available.
      This is the email exchange...

      Dear AVON:
      I have been buying the Azaros ST 45/46 for the last three years.
      (6 rears and 4 fronts) 5-7000 miles rear and 8-11000 miles on the
      fronts.
      I have a 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200cc Sport Tourer.
      I use the 120/70 – 17 front and the 180/55 – 17 rear.

      A heavy sport tourer that runs a lot of miles in the sandy canyons
      and mountains with mostly sport bikes on the weekends.
      Commuter during the week (40 miles a day)
      It takes at least one or two long rides (1000-2000 miles) each year
      to fit the touring set.
      I see a new tire (STORM) that I can't tell if it is better for me.
      The Azaros are better for mileage and better for grip than the
      original Bridgestone 020's.
      They are great for my bike and me!

      QUESTIONS about AVON tires…
      Where does the new AVON Storm fit in line for wear?
      Where does the new AVON Storm fit in line for grip?
      Where does the Michelin Pilot Powers fit against your tires?
      Or what is the best AVON tire for grip with decent miles for my bike?
      Are the Storms going to be replacements for the Azaro, or the second
      choice?

      Phil Smith

      This is the reply from AVON:
      From: McNally, Pete J. [PMcNally@...]

      Hi Phil,
      The new Storm tyres are replacing the Azaro 45/46 range.
      Differences are :-
      - The same mileage as the Azaro range
      - Slightly improved handling over Azaro
      - Much improved wet and dry grip over Azaro.

      The Pilot Power is more of a sports tyre which may have a softer
      compound and I guess would just wear out much quicker.

      For your bike I would definitely recommend the new Storm tyres.
      I hope this helps.
      Best regards,

      Peter J McNally

      M/C Technical Product Manager

      01225 357753

      CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY AND / OR TRADE SECRET INFORMATION

      The information contained in this e-mail (along with any attachments)
      is intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is
      addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary and / or trade
      secret information that is the property of Cooper Tire and Rubber
      Company and / or Cooper Tire and Rubber Company Europe Limited. If
      the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
      hereby notified that you should not read any further, and any
      strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please
      notify the sender immediately via e-mail or phone (+44(0)1225 703101)
      and immediately delete this transmission. Copyright © Unpublished.
    • bmillard7291
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
        Hi Phil,
        Many thanks for sharing that interesting info with us.
        Hopefully during this year others in the group will report back about
        the tyre and how it works with our beloved Trophys.
        Cheers,
        Bob
      • Alec Gore
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
          Well Phil and others,

          I've just put the first 20 miles on my new pair of AV55/56s
          (Storms). I got them same price as a pair of Azaros because the
          seller promised me a pair and then Avon couldn't deliver the
          170/60 rear, so I got a new pair. A good start.

          It gets better. These tyres have little of the usual squiggles
          that you get with a new pair. Within 3 miles I was riding them
          as I normally would; they warmed up quickly and have a real
          grippy feel, especially the front. In fact, I thought the front
          was under pressure because I couldn't move the handlebars while
          stationery with my normal ease; it wasn't, that's what the
          compound is like.

          IF, and that's the if, these tyres do the 11,000 miles I've just
          got on a pair of AV45/46s that were still above the wear bar, I
          will be both pleased and a little surprised.

          They definitely inspire confidence. Nice one, AVON!

          Regards

          Alec
        • alexdz@cox.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
            Nice. Are these supposed to be a sport-touring formulation?

            Alex

            ---- Alec Gore <e-mail@...> wrote:
            > Well Phil and others,
            >
            > I've just put the first 20 miles on my new pair of AV55/56s
            > (Storms). I got them same price as a pair of Azaros because the
            > seller promised me a pair and then Avon couldn't deliver the
            > 170/60 rear, so I got a new pair. A good start.
            > <SNIP>
          • Greg Andrews
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2007
              Hi All, I also couldn't get an Azaro ST 46 for my rear wheel. The
              local tire dealer's book didn't mention anything about the Storm. He
              put on an Avon Viper V60 and said it was the replacement for a Trophy.
              Last night I looked up Avon's catalog. The Viper is more of a sport
              tire. Oops. Not a whole lot of sport riding can be done in Kansas
              City. We'll see how long the tire lasts.
              Greg Andrews
              '95 900 Nightshade

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2007
                I'd take it back and ask for an exchange. You went in for a
                sport-touring tyre, not a sports tyre. Not only will it probably
                wear out in half the mileage, the handling may not be suited to
                the Trophy, especially in the wet.

                Regards

                Alec

                05/01/2007 11.11 a.m.
              • J.R. Boylan
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Gore" <e-mail@...> wrote:

                  > I've just put the first 20 miles on my new pair of AV55/56s
                  > (Storms). >

                  Alec -
                  Keep us apprised of how the Storms are working out. One of my off season projects is to put
                  some new rubber on the beast and I am seriously considering the Avons. That is, if you don't
                  mind the rest of us going to school on you ;).

                  To the rest of the gang - here's to a safe and bountiful new year. May you all enjoy more
                  miles astride our favorite bike in 2007 than you did in 2006.

                  Take care.
                  Jim