Re: What happened?

  • taylorrguk
    Message 1 of 90 , Oct 2, 2006
      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "K W Dix" <deltaixsply@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know why the Trophy, especially the 1200 was pulled from
      > production?
      > It seems that the sport tour mindset is a growing proposition.

      A whole list of reasons:

      1) Declining sales, compared to better equipped competitors.
      2) Inability to meet future emissions legislation without fuel
      injection - excluded by spine frame. Same reason as
      Thunderbird/Adventurer models discontinued.
      3) Unfashionable styling, compounding item 1.
      4) Corporate need to direct development effort at the cruiser market,
      Bonneville derivatives and R3. The sales achieved with those models
      will never be surpassed by a single tourer?
      5) Typical Trophy owner age profile 40+. Corporate branding aimed at
      younger owners, 25-35? (We oldies should all be riding cruisers!)

      Sprint ST now occupies the sports-based tourer slot, and Tiger the
      trailly-based tourer slot.
      Like others, I hope they do eventually return to the proper tourer
      market, as BMW, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and even Moto Guzzi all
      consider it a worthwhile sepment to be in?

      Richard T.
    • psmetti@aol.com
      Message 90 of 90 , Oct 5, 2006
        Hi im Paul from the midlands in the UK. Just bought a 96 1200 Trophy a few
        months back. Great fun and im 38.
        cheers paul