Re: taller windscreen

  • Andy Suter
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 31, 2006

      > 4b. Re: taller windscreen
      > Posted by: "Lee Kendrick" cruisncomfort@... cruisncomfort
      > Date: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:39 pm (PDT)
      >
      > G'day Andy,
      >
      > Yes, Eagle Screens ship worldwide. Easy to deal with and prompt
      efficient service. I have no affiliation with them, just an extremely
      satisfied customer.

      > Lee.

      Thanks,

      I've got a reply from Eagle screens, but I've no idea which one to get (I
      could get a selection and sell the others of I suppose, but its a bit
      expensive!). I'm 5'11 but I'm getting quite a nasty bit of buffeting around
      the bottom of my helmet - If I duck down behind the screen its fine, if I
      stick my head up and sit _really_ upright, it gets better. Ideally something
      to kick the airflow over my head would be fine.... Any advice chaps and
      chappeses?

      Thanks in advance

      Andy
      1999 1200 Big Blue Thingy.
    • Abel Rivera
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
        I have the Eagle screen on my Trophy. Nice piece and that guy John
        over there know's his stuff. I am just a hair over 6' and I got the
        100mm taller screen, which takes the buffeting over to the top of my
        helmet.

        The screen follows the contours of the stock one pretty closely, and
        mine has very good optical quality. He offers the option to have the
        paint added on the bottom to cover the gasket between the screen and
        the fairing, get it if you are particular about your machines
        appearance, ( I didn't get it ).

        Glad to shoot you a picture if you like.

        Abel
        02' 1200 Sunset Red
      • Andy Suter
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006

          > Posted by: "Abel Rivera" abelriv@... abelrvr
          > I have the Eagle screen on my Trophy. Nice piece and that guy John
          > over there know's his stuff. I am just a hair over 6' and I got the
          > 100mm taller screen, which takes the buffeting over to the top of my
          > helmet.

          Does it follow the same lines? - it seems to "lean back" at bit. I tried to
          imagine what it was like by placing a six inch ruler on the top of the
          existing screen and squinting... but it wasn't working to well!

          > The screen follows the contours of the stock one pretty closely, and
          > mine has very good optical quality. He offers the option to have the
          > paint added on the bottom to cover the gasket between the screen and
          > the fairing, get it if you are particular about your machines
          > appearance, ( I didn't get it ).

          There is a gasket? I have noticed water bubbles up on the inside when you
          ride
          > Glad to shoot you a picture if you like.

          If you could, that would be great. I know need to work out if there is any
          difference between the diagram
          he sent me and my fairing mounting points - the diagram implies a straight
          line of screen bolt holes, but looking at thge bike the screen holes form a
          gentle curve around the edge of the fairing. Did the mounting change
          throught the model life of the post 96 trophy?

          Andy

          1999 Big Blue Vroomy Thing.
        • Lee Kendrick
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
            Absolutely great to see other Trophy riders using Eagle Screens! I donated my 2001 stock screen to him so he could make a mould from it. I now have a 4" (100mm) taller screen and it is bloody magic.

            My bike is my daily transport and I use it in all weather conditions. The screen has made it worth my while riding in the cooler winter months down here in Australia. Excellent product at a very good price!!!

            Lee @ 'Cruis'n Comfort' Motorcycle Sheepskins.
            Australia...

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 5, 2006
              It doesn't really "lean" back, it has a leading edge angle like the
              stocker then goes vertical on about the same angle. Of course, the
              taller the screen, the farther back it will be L*A=D.

              Try cutting a piece of cardboard and taping it to your existing screen
              to see the resulting depth.

              Yes, there is a gasket, and mine bubbles in the water too, just need
              to crank it up to triple digits for a bit to blow it all out :-).

              I'll capture a picture or two tonight and send it along.

              Abel

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Suter" <andy@...> wrote:

              > > Posted by: "Abel Rivera" abelriv@... abelrvr
              > > I have the Eagle screen on my Trophy. Nice piece and that guy John
              > > over there know's his stuff. I am just a hair over 6' and I got the
              > > 100mm taller screen, which takes the buffeting over to the top of my
              > > helmet.
              >
              > Does it follow the same lines? - it seems to "lean back" at bit. I
              tried to
              > imagine what it was like by placing a six inch ruler on the top of the
              > existing screen and squinting... but it wasn't working to well!
              >
              > > The screen follows the contours of the stock one pretty closely, and
              > > mine has very good optical quality. He offers the option to have the
              > > paint added on the bottom to cover the gasket between the screen and
              > > the fairing, get it if you are particular about your machines
              > > appearance, ( I didn't get it ).
              >
              > There is a gasket? I have noticed water bubbles up on the inside
              when you
              > ride
              > > Glad to shoot you a picture if you like.
              >
              > If you could, that would be great. I know need to work out if there
              is any
              > difference between the diagram
              > he sent me and my fairing mounting points - the diagram implies a
              straight
              > line of screen bolt holes, but looking at thge bike the screen holes
              form a
              > gentle curve around the edge of the fairing. Did the mounting change
              > throught the model life of the post 96 trophy?
              >
              > Andy
              >
              > 1999 Big Blue Vroomy Thing.

            • Andy Suter
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 5, 2006
                > Posted by: "Abel Rivera" abelriv@... abelrvr
                >
                > It doesn't really "lean" back, it has a leading edge angle like the
                > stocker then goes vertical on about the same angle. Of course, the
                > taller the screen, the farther back it will be L*A=D.
                >
                > Try cutting a piece of cardboard and taping it to your existing screen
                > to see the resulting depth.
                >
                > Yes, there is a gasket, and mine bubbles in the water too, just need
                > to crank it up to triple digits for a bit to blow it all out :-).
                >
                > I'll capture a picture or two tonight and send it along.
                >
                > Abel

                That would be great (you might need to CC me directly though - not sure
                about attachements in the digest). I'm still in a quandry now about screens,
                and more importantly being able to see over them... while still keeping the
                buffetting at bay... I looking at the eagle touring or extended touring...

                Andy
                Big Blue Thingy That Needs Cleaning!
              • Abel Rivera
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Andy

                  Look in the Photos section, there is a folder called Tall Eagle
                  Screens created by PJSmith. I guess thats his, I added two images,
                  side and front view.

                  Sorry for the delay.

                  Abel
                • Andy Suter
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006
                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Abel Rivera" <abelriv@...> wrote:

                    > Andy
                    >
                    > Look in the Photos section, there is a folder called Tall Eagle
                    > Screens created by PJSmith. I guess thats his, I added two images,
                    > side and front view.
                    >
                    > Sorry for the delay.
                    >
                    > Abel

                    Would that be the touring one or the extended touring one?

                    Thanks,

                    Andy
                  • Phil Smith
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006
                      Eagle screens email works well. John spent lots of time figuring out
                      what would be best for size.

                      My screen was the "new" version tallest screen that they make
                      (standard). They hasd a flip up version, but I think they went to the
                      straight back flow.

                      After I sent a few pics with the profile of sitting in place, John
                      said he could make it a couple inches taller than the XL Taller screen
                      that I got if I wanted to try it.

                      The main thing different with Eagle over the Clearview is the shape.

                      The Eagle is NOT wider than the OEM. THe clear view seems to have a
                      slight bulge wider than the OEM.
                      It's almost exactly 4 inches taller than the OEM.
                      It's a straight back screen with no UP (flip) of the top of the
                      screen. I haven't spent any time figuring out the measurement but the
                      wind is a pretty smooth straight over the top of the screen. The flip
                      might "throw " the air over higher than the straight back, but I think
                      the straight back has a smoother flow of the air.(over the OEM)
                      It hit's me just at the top of the facesheild on my ARAI helmet and I
                      sit pretty tall in the CORBIN saddle. If I duck down slightly it
                      flows over the helmet. 2 more inches would probably help the pillion
                      too. You can definitely get "OUT OF THE AIR stream...

                      Phil