Re: [TriumphTrophy] Performance/handling

  • Steve Wassenich
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
      markhaughan wrote:

      > Love my Trophy 900 1997. I think they are still one of the better
      > looking bikes
      > around........but want a little more zing. Have changed pipes to
      > Thunderbike pipes (made
      > in NZ)...sound great fantastic at 5000-8000 rpm 2 and 3rd gear
      > (lovely when you shut off
      > the throttle also). The bike is now due for a good tune up...any
      > reccommendations....
      > Mainly want to address the rear shock and front brakes. The bike
      > wallows a little and
      > wants to stand up all the time ( I am changing front tyre which is
      > pretty shot especially the
      > right hand side....)The bike is only used for one up (wife has own
      > bike). The brakes are
      > pretty bad especially compared with new Sprint....once again any
      > tried successes....

      The Trophy's suspension is pretty sad on both ends, but especially
      the front. Replacing the front springs with Race Tech springs will
      make the bike feel _much_ better, especially if you crank up the rear
      shock to match. The springs are about USD 100 or so. A new shock is
      a lot more; USD 400 or so, and that's just the beginning. They can
      go up to a thousand bucks if you go for all the options.

      A set of Suzuki Hayabusa 6-piston calipers will bolt right on and
      will improve the front brakes about 300 percent. The same calipers
      come on other bikes as well, but the 'Busa brakes seem to show up on
      eBay more than the others.

      Steve W.
    • K W Dix
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
        Mark, This spring I did a complete suspension rebuild. I went with
        the heaviest Race Tech front sprins available (because of my wt.) and
        had a Hagon upgraded rear shock built. The change in the manners of
        the bike was unbelievable. It handles like a different bike and is as
        crisp in the corners and switchbacks as many smaller and lighter bikes.
        I also put six piston calipers on and a larger Eagle screens wind
        screen. The overall package was a great upgrade in both hadling and
        pleasure of the overall ride.
      • Phil Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
          Best fixes for the money

          Prices are approximate...

          Brakes
          $60 for carbon-lorraine brake pads SBK-3 or new model sbk-5

          Or go the extra mile and get 6 pot calipers ~$100
          new pads-$60
          new master cylinder $3-800
          For my money the Carbonne lorraine brake pads were a great upgrade
          over the EBC pads and are better than the ferodos or triumph OEM's.
          Someday I might go to the 6pots as they are a good upgrade, but my
          trophy stops great now.

          As far as wallowing that is very broad.

          Here the fix is stiffer springs in the front forks and cartridge
          emulator kit. I got the full banana from Racetech for about $500
          and it makes the bike conform to the direction you point it. very
          compliant ride. Parts (springs $100/emulator $135/seals and boots
          $100)

          A rear shock will run from 350 to 650 to 800 to 1250 depending on
          brand and function. Read the FAQ about rear shocks and send Tom D
          an email for extreme details.

          I think the wash out of the front is best fixed with the racetech
          frontend and new pads for under $600

          Front tire first might fix alot of the stand up.
          I'll throw in a vote for Avon Azaro 45/46 first and then Michelin
          Pilot Powers (not RACE)

          Phil

          > Love my Trophy 900 1997. I think they are still one of the better
          looking bikes
          > around........but want a little more zing. Have changed pipes to
          Thunderbike pipes (made
          > in NZ)...sound great fantastic at 5000-8000 rpm 2 and 3rd gear
          (lovely when you shut off
          > the throttle also). The bike is now due for a good tune up...any
          reccommendations....
          > Mainly want to address the rear shock and front brakes. The bike
          wallows a little and
          > wants to stand up all the time ( I am changing front tyre which is
          pretty shot especially the
          > right hand side....)The bike is only used for one up (wife has own
          bike). The brakes are
          > pretty bad especially compared with new Sprint....once again any
          tried successes....

        • Ross
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
            Did the upgraded springs stop the excessive nosedive? I don't find the
            spring rate so bad as the damping on the front. I was going to try
            heavier oil. I'm tired of having the tank "firmly" beteen my legs on
            quick stops...
          • Steve Wassenich
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
              Ross wrote:

              > Did the upgraded springs stop the excessive nosedive? I don't find
              > the
              > spring rate so bad as the damping on the front. I was going to try
              > heavier oil. I'm tired of having the tank "firmly" beteen my legs on
              > quick stops...

              It did on my '01 900. The front end still goes down but not nearly
              as much. Heavier oil might help but I'm a little leary of having the
              damping do work the springs should be doing. The only reason we have
              fork and shock oil is to control the springs. The Trophy's stock
              fork springs are waaaay too soft.

              Steve W.