Re: [TriumphTrophy] my personal delima.......

  • Jeff Fennema
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
      OK, I'll try...A friend has had a K1000LT (1987) from new, it now is closing in on 100,000 miles. He has recently stated that he will NEVER buy another BMW, and is glad he bought the BMW bike before he bought a BMW car, as the lesson was cheaper. He is sure the BMW car is a similar money pit.
      Cases in point:
      The final drive is maintenance intensive; the driveshaft needs lubrication on the splines,but BMW does not specify the need until 40,000 miles. His went (splines sheared) at 25,000. The dealer, who had maintained the bike from new, claimed that since BMW did not specify the need, that they were doing their job properly. They would not even back him in a warranty claim. He has needed to replace the entire ring and pinion unit since, he bought used do to the enormous cost of new. ($600 used). Also worth pointing out, it seems that everything that is easy to get to will never need servicing, however, anything that is difficult will need regular servicing (the clutch splines are supposed to be lubricated regularly (every 30,000?), this requires 9 HOURS of labor by the book.
      And lastly, the 'R' models have had a lean surge problem since introduction of the OHC "oilheads". BMW does not have a fix, even after 10 years. Sounds like they hired the engineers that Harley obviously wasn't using. (old farts I'd bet, as Harley hasn't had new engineering since the valves went upstairs---1936.)

      P.S. In case you might be wondering, I've owned over 100 bikes, 14 of them Harleys and a couple BMW's, loads of Italian and British iron, some Japanese, but I'd buy a new Triumph in a heartbeat.

      P.P.S. What IS a stereo GPS system?? Tells you where you are twice???
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
        Towman,

        Is the grass always greener on the other side of the fense? I test
        drove the R1100RT before taking the Trumpet 1200. GPS and stereo
        would have made no diff. ABS would not have made any diff since ABS
        takes over for the skills required of the rider, and I did not think
        that was necessary. Other experience riders will tell you the same.
        Can you imagine ABS on a race track? I love the
        value/performance/look of my Trophy. You can add the GPS/Stereo to
        any bike. I can't radically change the looks. Plus, after doing a
        few net present value calculations, it doesn't make financial sense
        to fork out the additional down payment.

        Since buying the Trumpet 1200, I purchased an eMap GPS and mounted it
        on the plastic triple tree cover (works very nicely there). However,
        GPS does not a bike make. Stereo comes thru my headset which also
        delivers CB conversations from my push to talk CB radio. Stereos/CBs
        do not a bike make. I added all of this for less than $500 dollars.

        What the BMW does offer is the perceived status factor. I am not
        much for status symbols.

        Don't get me wrong, the BMW R1150RT is a great bike. It just didn't
        do it for me. Someday that might change. Never know. Good luck
        with your quandry.

        Best regards,
        Richie

      • towman85@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
          john have you ever driven power anti lock brakes I have not I wonder wat they
          are like
          what elese do you not like about the bmw 1150rt slick bike in my opinion
          towman85aol.com jeff gartside.......
        • Pierce/Rogers
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
            Jeff, the power anti-lock brakes do not give you the feel that you get from standard brakes. I realize that I just may not want to change, but if they were that good the race bikes would have jumped all over them, and they did not.

            I should tell you that I personally like to lock the rear brake, many years of off road racing, and like to be able to feel what the brakes are doing by the bike and the feed back from the levers. Read any of the Keith Code books, Superbike Schools, and you will understand how important the brakes are. John
            john have you ever driven power anti lock brakes I have not I wonder wat they
            are like
            what elese do you not like about the bmw 1150rt slick bike in my opinion
            towman85aol.com jeff gartside.......

            Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations and comments are solely and strictly the responsibility of each contributor.  Making use of the information is solely at the risk and discretion of the reader!

            Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • TBuse5@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2001
              richie750@... writes:

              .  Stereo comes thru my headset which also
              delivers CB conversations from my push to talk CB radio.  Stereos/CBs
              do not a bike make.  I added all of this for less than $500 dollars.

              Speaking of steraos, does anyone have any experience with MP3 players?

              Terry