Re: [TriumphTrophy] Centerstands

  • Trevor Collier
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 2 1:57 PM
      All this talk of centre stands makes me ask a question. I have an early 1200
      and using the centre stand is a real struggle. Like it takes me a somebody
      else to get the bike onto the stand.

      OK so I am not built heavy but is this a general problem? I have already
      tried fitting the stand from a later model bike and this does change the
      amount of effort required.

      Trevor

      92 12000 Trophy
      71 A65

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2 8:50 PM
        Trevor, I have 95 and weigh 210 lbs. at 6' tall, work out all the time and
        it's a struggle to get the bike up on the center stand, but rocking it back
        and forth seems to work the best. John. P.S. you can buy one of the race
        stands and they are much easier to use.

      • dougjc1@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 3 5:49 AM
          <I have already tried fitting the stand from a later model bike and
          this does change the amount of effort required.>

          I dont normally use the centerstand. I think all the years are the
          same, they are preety tough to use. Although there is definitly some
          technique involved. I practiced with someone else guiding the right
          bar a few times to get the feel. But its still takes a good heave to
          get it up.

          Doug
          2000 platinum trophy 900
        • ynotfixit
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 3 7:54 AM
            From: "Pierce/Rogers"
            > it's a struggle to get the bike up on the center stand, but rocking it back
            > and forth seems to work the best.

            I've found that laying a piece of wood under the wheel and rolling the bike
            onto it before lifting, makes it a breeze to get the bike up on the stand.
            All that's needed is 1/2" to 3/4" and 6X8" in size. Just roll the bike onto
            the wood and push the stand down and lift. The stand must not be on the
            wood. I use 3/4" plywood but anything will work. Even a thick newspaper will
            do the trick.
            HTH
            Tony Angco
            <www.ynotfixit.com>
            Ear plug home page:
            http://home1.gte.net/res04azf/plug2/plug2x.html
          • BWG3COY@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 3 8:44 AM
              In a message dated 03/04/2001 14:29:51 GMT Daylight Time, pproduc1@...
              writes:

              << John. P.S. you can buy one of the race
              stands and they are much easier to use. >>

              I take it you mean me? John Bonnewell?
              What is a race stand? a paddock stand?

              Reidio y Balcher
              John Bonnewell Lloegr II
            • BWG3COY@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 3 8:49 AM
                dougjc1@... writes:

                << I dont normally use the centerstand. I think all the years are the
                same, they are preety tough to use. Although there is definitly some
                technique involved. I practiced with someone else guiding the right
                bar a few times to get the feel. But its still takes a good heave to
                get it up.

                Doug
                2000 platinum trophy 900

                That is the problem! The 99s are supposed to be easier to use. I have found
                that they are the same. But because you have to use so much force to get it
                on the stand the foot bar just cannot take the strain and it bends like mine.
                Goes against the grain! but the BMW you just stand on the plat and it rocks
                itself onto the stand.

                <A HREF="http://homestead.com/AnnJohnBonnewell/start.html">
                Http://homestead.com/AnnJohnBonnewell/start.html</A>
                Reidio y Balcher
                John Bonnewell Lloegr II
              • Steven E. Heathman
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 3 10:43 AM
                  I use my centerstand a lot. But, it's still the hardest to use of the 4
                  bikes I've owned. I can easily pop my Nighthawk onto its centerstand as I
                  swing off the bike. And I don't think that's just because of the raw weight
                  difference. I had a '76 KZ900 that was only a little heavier then the
                  Nighthawk and I couldn't do the same maneuver. The position of the stand to
                  the center of gravity and it's leverage are important.
                  Btw, I'm 5'9" and 215 lb. stripped.

                  Steve H.
                  '91 CB750 NH "The Metal Mule"
                  '00 1200 Trophy "Mons"
                • Pierce/Rogers
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 3 7:30 PM
                    John, It's a stand that fits under the swing arm and lifts the rear of the
                    bike up. We get them here in the states for about $79.00 US.

                    Hope that helps
                    John.

                  • BWG3COY@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 4 1:18 AM
                      In a message dated 04/04/2001 05:00:09 GMT Daylight Time, pproduc1@...
                      writes:

                      << ohn, It's a stand that fits under the swing arm and lifts the rear of the
                      bike up. We get them here in the states for about $79.00 US.

                      Hope that helps
                      John.

                      Yes, that's we call a paddock stand. They are good. I may get one. Thanks John

                      <A HREF="http://homestead.com/AnnJohnBonnewell/start.html">
                      Http://homestead.com/AnnJohnBonnewell/start.html</A>
                      Reidio y Balcher
                      John Bonnewell Lloegr II
                    • Tom Witt
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 4 6:44 AM
                        Certainly not to disagree with anyone because maybe my particular
                        situation is different, but I think getting my Trophy up on the
                        centerstand is easier than any bike I have ever owned. Even easier
                        than my 400lb Ninja. When I first got it (about a month or so ago) it
                        would sometimes take two or three attempts to get it, but I can get
                        it with one motion on the first try just about every time now. I
                        think the side "Lift Lever" is the greatest idea ever!<g>

                        Tom (Southwestern Ohio)
                        96 Triumph Trophy 900 BRG
                        93 Kawasaki ZR1100 Zephyr
                        92 Kawasaki ZX600 Ninja R
                        76 Honda GL1000 Goldwing

                      • JWargowski@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 4 9:52 AM
                          I think it is all in the technique. I had a hell of a time getting my
                          bike on the center stand as well. And at 6"3" 225lbs, I was a bit
                          miffed about it. Clearly it is not a size/strength issue. Helpful
                          listers explained that you have to 1) Keep the handle bars straight 2)
                          Make sure the bike is perfectly upright, so when you press down on the
                          centerstand, both legs of it are touching the ground. 3) With your
                          left hand on the left hand grip of the bars (this is to steady the
                          bike only), and your right hand on the center stand lift assist
                          handle, put your left foot on the centerstand and press down firmly,
                          while pulling up and back on the assist handle. Sounds a bit like
                          Twister I know, but it should pop right up with no problem. Once that
                          I got the tecnique down, I almost always use the centerstand rather
                          than the side stand - especially in the garage, where space is at a
                          minimum. Hope this helps - the info may sound obvious, but it was a
                          big help to me.
                        • alan.a.lowes@ntlworld.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 4 1:12 PM
                            --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "Tom Witt" <Witttom@a...> wrote:
                            > Certainly not to disagree with anyone because maybe my particular
                            > situation is different, but I think getting my Trophy up on the
                            > centerstand is easier than any bike I have ever owned. Even easier
                            > than my 400lb Ninja. When I first got it (about a month or so ago)
                            it
                            > would sometimes take two or three attempts to get it, but I can get
                            > it with one motion on the first try just about every time now. I
                            > think the side "Lift Lever" is the greatest idea ever!<g>
                            >
                            > Tom (Southwestern Ohio)
                            > 96 Triumph Trophy 900 BRG
                            > 93 Kawasaki ZR1100 Zephyr
                            > 92 Kawasaki ZX600 Ninja R
                            > 76 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
                            >
                            > I have to agree, but there again, like you, I did my apprenticeship
                            on a GL100 without lift handle
                          • Tom Witt
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 4 5:46 PM
                              --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., alan.a.lowes@n... wrote:
                              > --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "Tom Witt" <Witttom@a...> wrote:
                              > > Certainly not to disagree with anyone because maybe my particular situation is different, but I think getting my Trophy up on the centerstand is easier than any bike I have ever owned. Even easier than my 400lb Ninja. When I first got it (about a month or so ago), it would sometimes take two or three attempts to get it, but I can get it with one motion on the first try just about every time now. I think the side "Lift Lever" is the greatest idea ever!<g>
                              > >
                              > > Tom (Southwestern Ohio)
                              > > 96 Triumph Trophy 900 BRG
                              > > 93 Kawasaki ZR1100 Zephyr
                              > > 93 Kawasaki ZX600 Ninja R
                              > > 76 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
                              > >
                              > > I have to agree, but there again, like you, I did my apprenticeship
                              > on a GL100 without lift handle

                              The GL1000 is pretty rough, but my ZR1100 is just short of impossible. Perhaps that's why I think the Triumph is so easy. Heck, I've thought about mounting a "Lift" handle on my other bikes because of it!<G>

                              Tom (Southwestern Ohio)
                              96 Triumph Trophy 900 BRG
                              93 Kawasaki ZR1100 Zephyr
                              93 Kawasaki ZX600 Ninja R
                              76 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
                            • Trevor Collier
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 10 1:07 PM
                                Thanks for all of the tips and ideas on Centre Stand use. I have tried the
                                piece of wood under the wheels trick and this works OK. At least I can get
                                it on the stand without getting help.

                                A general observation on the stands themselves. The original was made of
                                material about 25% thicker than the later version I have fitted now. Looks
                                like the factory was trying to save metal as they changed the design but one
                                good thing on the latest versions is that the feet are spread further apart.
                                Defiantly makes the bike more stable when lifting onto the stand.

                                Trevor

                                92 1200 Trophy
                                71 BSA A65
                              • BWG3COY@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 11 6:06 AM
                                  trevor.collier@... writes:

                                  << Thanks for all of the tips and ideas on Centre Stand use. I have tried the
                                  piece of wood under the wheels trick and this works OK. At least I can get
                                  it on the stand without getting help.

                                  A general observation on the stands themselves. The original was made of
                                  material about 25% thicker than the later version I have fitted now. Looks
                                  like the factory was trying to save metal as they changed the design but one
                                  good thing on the latest versions is that the feet are spread further apart.
                                  Defiantly makes the bike more stable when lifting onto the stand.

                                  Trevor >>
                                  You seem well up on the centre stands Thanks!
                                  I took mine in as I told you and he miked up the thickness. From that I
                                  assumed that the wrong stand was refitted?
                                  You are now worrying me into thinking that the new one I am likely to get is
                                  going to be just as weak?? Am I right to worry Trev?

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 15 1:35 PM
                                    I don't think you need to worry too much about the thickness of the new
                                    style centre stands unless someone is making them incorrectly. My starting
                                    point was with an original 92 type stand that looks like it will support a
                                    truck, let along a Trophy. The later ones look lighter but I have looked at
                                    a couple on friends bikes, 1 Trophy and a Sprint and they are the same. My
                                    guess is that Triumph felt the early stand was over engineered and decided
                                    to save weight.

                                    BTW if anybody goes looking for a second hand stand watch out for one issue.
                                    If the bike has been recovered on a trailer or flatbed there is a good
                                    chance the brace bar at the top of the stand is bent. As far as I can tell
                                    this is cause by the people lashing the bike down real hard with the winch
                                    straps. This bends the top bar against the frame that stops it going forward
                                    further than you need.

                                    Trevor

                                    92 1200 Trophy
                                    71 A65 Thunderbolt