Question about rear brake pad replacement

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 16, 2006
      Upon removal of my rear tire for tire replacement (new Avon
      Azaros from old Michelin Macadams) I discovered that my rear brake
      pad was pretty much gone. I've ordered a new pad (EBC FA215/2, but
      I've never replaced a brake pad (kind of a novice wrench, but
      learning). As such, what do I need to do? I've got a Haynes manuel
      and it's pretty good, but are there any tricks or tips you all have
      for doing the job, or is it just as easy as removing the pad holder
      bolt, sliding in a new pad, and re-attaching the bolt? By the way,
      other than trying to find a 12 mm hex socket for torquing the front
      axle holder bolt, removal of the front and rear wheels wasn't too
      bad. A local shop though still charged me $25.00 a tire to mount
      and balance the new tires. It would have been $50.00 a tire if I
      had brought in the bike. I ended up using a bolt with a 12 mm head
      and a couple of nuts torqued together to create a socket for the
      front axle bolt. That seemed to work fine. Let me know about the
      brake job. Thanks.

      Tom
      '98 Sprint Executive
      Ashland KY
    • BWG3COY@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 16, 2006
        Just be careful taking out the pad pins. They can easily seize and you can
        round of the corners. Get a Snap on socket.

        Cofion (Regards in Welsh)
        John Bonnewell. Secretary _Blue Knights Wales 1_ (http://www.bkwales1.co.uk/)
        Reidio a balchder
        British Legion Riders Branch
        Bexley Triumph Owners MCC
        Welsh Guards Association. 'Support Our brave troops'

      • Wal_THO
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 17, 2006
          This happen to me and it sucked for lack of a better
          word. The service guy stated that they heat the pins
          first. I have a solder gun with a clean tip and it
          does the job.

          WalTHO

          > Just be careful taking out the pad pins. They can
          > easily seize and you can
          > round of the corners.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • jkhaug
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 25, 2006
            Hi Tom. FWIW I had the same difficulty looking for a 12mm hex socket. It finally occured to
            me that a 12mm crowfoot wrench, which was easily available, could go on the torque
            wrench and hook to the 12mm hex wrench that came with the bike. Worked fine.

            -Jim

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tlavender@...> wrote:

            > Upon removal of my rear tire for tire replacement (new Avon
            > Azaros from old Michelin Macadams) I discovered that my rear brake
            > pad was pretty much gone. I've ordered a new pad (EBC FA215/2, but
            > I've never replaced a brake pad (kind of a novice wrench, but
            > learning). As such, what do I need to do? I've got a Haynes manuel
            > and it's pretty good, but are there any tricks or tips you all have
            > for doing the job, or is it just as easy as removing the pad holder
            > bolt, sliding in a new pad, and re-attaching the bolt? By the way,
            > other than trying to find a 12 mm hex socket for torquing the front
            > axle holder bolt, removal of the front and rear wheels wasn't too
            > bad. A local shop though still charged me $25.00 a tire to mount
            > and balance the new tires. It would have been $50.00 a tire if I
            > had brought in the bike. I ended up using a bolt with a 12 mm head
            > and a couple of nuts torqued together to create a socket for the
            > front axle bolt. That seemed to work fine. Let me know about the
            > brake job. Thanks.
            >
            > Tom
            > '98 Sprint Executive
            > Ashland KY

          • JP
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 27, 2006
              Rear brake pad replacement is about as easy as the Haynes manual says
              it is, but as you say you're a novice wrench I caution you to be sure
              your wheel is aligned when reinstalling or you'll have very hot rear
              pads. There isn't much room back there and even slight misalignment
              causes constant friction against the disk.

              ~ JP
            • tlctn2003
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 29, 2006
                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "jkhaug" <jkhaug@...> wrote:

                > Hi Tom. FWIW I had the same difficulty looking for a 12mm hex socket.

                Here's just what you need.
                http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=2347&PartNo=FAM12E&group_id=274&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all
              • Phil Smith
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 30, 2006
                  Snap on are unquestionably great tools but you can also find the set 5-
                  15mm with 7 sockets for about $7.00 at Harbor freight tools and mine
                  works fine. they have lifetime warranty and are made by pittsburg
                  tools i think. I also have a standard set from SEARS that has 9
                  sockets that was about $15.00 with lifetime warranty.

                  phil

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 30, 2006
                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Smith" <pjsmithres@...> wrote:

                    > Snap on are unquestionably great tools but you can also find the set 5-
                    > 15mm with 7 sockets for about $7.00 at Harbor freight tools and mine
                    > works fine. they have lifetime warranty and are made by pittsburg
                    > tools i think. I also have a standard set from SEARS that has 9
                    > sockets that was about $15.00 with lifetime warranty.
                    >
                    > phil

                    The ones I saw at Sears had no size larger than 10mm in the sets, or
                    individually.
                  • Phil Smith
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 31, 2006
                      Ask someone there
                      I got 3/8 drive sockets and they also sell them one at a time.
                      if now the store you go to try the catalog. it's there too

                      > > Snap on are unquestionably great tools but you can also find the
                      set 5-
                      > > 15mm with 7 sockets for about $7.00 at Harbor freight tools and
                      mine
                      > > works fine. they have lifetime warranty and are made by pittsburg
                      > > tools i think. I also have a standard set from SEARS that has 9
                      > > sockets that was about $15.00 with lifetime warranty.
                      > >
                      > > phil
                      > >
                      > The ones I saw at Sears had no size larger than 10mm in the sets, or
                      > individually.

                    • Phil Smith
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 31, 2006
                        I'll check today. maybe it's not sears brand but I bought it there. I
                        thought it was.

                        phil

                        > > Snap on are unquestionably great tools but you can also find the
                        set 5-
                        > > 15mm with 7 sockets for about $7.00 at Harbor freight tools and
                        mine
                        > > works fine. they have lifetime warranty and are made by pittsburg
                        > > tools i think. I also have a standard set from SEARS that has 9
                        > > sockets that was about $15.00 with lifetime warranty.
                        > >
                        > > phil
                        > >
                        > The ones I saw at Sears had no size larger than 10mm in the sets, or
                        > individually.

                      • Phil Smith
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 31, 2006
                          Also you can cut off a chunk of the long end of a 12 mm allen wrench
                          and stick it into a 12mm socket. of you want it permanent, put a
                          dab of JB weld in there and it should last forever.

                          By the way,
                          > other than trying to find a 12 mm hex socket for torquing the
                          front
                          > axle holder bolt, removal of the front and rear wheels wasn't too
                          > bad. A local shop though still charged me $25.00 a tire to mount
                          > and balance the new tires. It would have been $50.00 a tire if I
                          > had brought in the bike. I ended up using a bolt with a 12 mm
                          head
                          > and a couple of nuts torqued together to create a socket for the
                          > front axle bolt. That seemed to work fine. Let me know about the
                          > brake job. Thanks.
                          >
                          > Tom
                          > '98 Sprint Executive
                          > Ashland KY

                        • Wal_THO
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 31, 2006
                            I bought a three pack at autozone like 10, 12, 13mm
                            for $5.00.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Phil Smith
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 31, 2006
                              My mistake. Not a sears socket...

                              My 12mm hex socket is made by baxter tools. It was purchased at a
                              specialty tool store. (mechanics and carpenters)

                              It is a half height socket with a very short 12 mm allen stub in the
                              socket. I think it's friction inserted but there is no lock or set
                              screw to remove it.

                              I picket it up for 6 bucks. I chose this one over similar to the
                              snap on as the clearance on my 01 1200 is close on the rear wheel
                              adjuster. There are probably other ways. If you want the cheap
                              way, cut the end off a 12 mm allen key and stick it in a 12mm socket
                              and you're set. since you only need it every 15K miles or so, you
                              probably dont have to glue of affix it permanently.

                              Phil