Re: Vibes, clunks 'n things?

  • radcpa@vmmc.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2001
      > 2 Vibes? Often at between 3500 &4500rpm I can feel an intermittent sort of
      > harshness, not really a vibration as its not at all constant. It happens
      > accelerating, decelerating, and cruising, I can feel it in my feet and a
      > little thru the bars. It just doesn't feel right and it's in my main
      > cruising rev range.

      I had a similar harsh vibration on my '97-12 when new. It turned out
      to be the muffler hangers being loose and setting up some kind of
      raspy/buzzing in the rear chassis almost heard as much as felt. It
      took awhile, but after tightening the hanger bolts (just behind the
      pillion pegs) the vibration went away. Hope this helps you!

      Court
    • Jeff Fennema
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2001

        Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 6:21 PM
        Subject: [TriumphTrophy] Vibes, clunks 'n things?

        The big green Pommy shiela (1200 Trophy) has just done 11,000miles and is
        out of warranty.
        1 Clunking?  When I ease the clutch out to move off from standstill,
        sometimes the bike makes a loud clunking noise.  It makes the same noise
        accelerating & decelerating in low gear, like when I'm dawdling along in
        slow traffic.

        I'm with the chain. FWIW I got 20K out of the original chain, with the aid or a Scottoiler,
        still good when I replaced it due to a gearing change; see below....

        2 Vibes? Often at between 3500 &4500rpm I can feel an intermittent sort of
        harshness, not really a vibration as its not at all constant.

        I changed my original 43 tooth rear sprocket to a 38 tooth. Radical change,
        I know, but all vibes such as you describe are gone, mileage is up considerably,
        (in the 40's regularly, high 30's before), and almost no tradeoffs, save for a
        little more slippage to get moving (duh).
      • Rick Willmore
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
          G'day Court
          I checked all the muffler mounts and they are all good.
          Thanks for all the responses indicating the problem is the chain. I am
          pretty sure this is correct. I tried putting the bike in low
          and getting my mate to rock the bike back and forth as hard as he could
          while I had a good listen. I'm pretty sure now that it is the chain, which
          is something of a relief.
          The preferred option seems to be AFAM so I'll see if I can find a supplier
          down here in NZ or Oztralia.

          On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:46:21 -0000 radcpa@... wrote

          > I had a similar harsh vibration on my '97-12 when new. It turned out
          > to be the muffler hangers being loose and setting up some kind of
          > raspy/buzzing in the rear chassis almost heard as much as felt. It
          > took awhile, but after tightening the hanger bolts (just behind the
          > pillion pegs) the vibration went away. Hope this helps you!
          >
          > Court

          G'day Jeff
          I am certainly intending to gear mine up when I do the chain/sprocket swap.
          It'll feels like it could use some taller gearing. What front sprocket did
          you use and can you recall how many links in the chain you used?

          > Message: 3
          On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:10:40 -0600 "Jeff Fennema"
          <jeff@...>wrote