Re: Advice Needed on Front Sprocket change for 900

  • mick307helen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
      > This is one time that you'll wish you didn't have a
      > 900 (oil dipstick, rather than sight glass.) That side
      > plate that holds the passenger pegs *will* have to
      > come off. The side stand doesn't have to come off- you
      > can push it to one side then the other to remove the
      > sprocket cover. Stop trying to remove the large torx
      > bolt that you can see. It has a nearly inaccessible
      > nut on it- in amongst swingarm bits and pieces. Remove
      > the side plate then remove a smaller bolt above the
      > torx. Then you can pivot the side stand around.
      >
      > This is not a job I'd try to do in a hurry. In fact it
      > took me weeks (long story...)You will need the
      > sprocket cover gasket and it's recommended to replace
      > the shifter shaft seal. Others have written that you
      > can use sealant in place of the gasket. A 1/4" socket
      > set came in very handy for getting to some of the
      > cover bolts.
      >
      > Good luck. The next time I do this, I expect it will
      > be a little easier. ;-)
      >
      > Don Varnau
      > '97 900

      Don, im doing something similar at the moment. Do you know if there
      is an oil seal inside the sprocket cover that the clutch pushrod
      passes through by any chance???

      I have an oil leak that is coming round the clutch pushrod and
      dripping from the bottom of the clutch cylinder.

      Ta,

      Mick.
    • Don Varnau
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
        Hi Mick,
        Sorry for the delay... busy weekend.

        I don't remember much about the clutch slave cylinder and pushrod because
        removal and reinstallation went smoothly. I'm not certain if the oil seal
        (there is one) is installed in the sprocket cover or is installed in the
        crankcase and protrudes through a hole in the sprocket cover. I *think* it's
        the second. But... removal of the clutch slave cylinder was easy and you'll
        get a good view of things once you remove it. I'd think that replacing the
        oil seal would be fairly easy.

        Are you sure that you're seeing engine oil and not brake fluid from the
        slave cylinder?

        Regards,
        Don

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
          > Hi Mick,
          > Sorry for the delay... busy weekend.
          >
          > I don't remember much about the clutch slave cylinder and pushrod
          because
          > removal and reinstallation went smoothly. I'm not certain if the
          oil seal
          > (there is one) is installed in the sprocket cover or is installed
          in the
          > crankcase and protrudes through a hole in the sprocket cover. I
          *think* it's
          > the second. But... removal of the clutch slave cylinder was easy
          and you'll
          > get a good view of things once you remove it. I'd think that
          replacing the
          > oil seal would be fairly easy.
          >
          > Are you sure that you're seeing engine oil and not brake fluid
          from the
          > slave cylinder?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Don
          > '97 900

          Hi Don. Hope the weekend was a good one, the sun came out here so i
          managed to get a few miles in.

          The jobs done, the oil seal in question is indeed in the crankcase
          under the sprocket cover. Very easy job all in all, its easy to say
          that after ive finished!!

          Cost of the seal was about £4 so not too bad.

          Thanks for the help though,

          Cheers

          Mick.