Re: Connecting new chain; Tire recommendations for touring

  • Trophy Mick
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
      What is the
      > best, safest way to connect the new chain. The master link clip type
      > system is not recommended for this bike. Do I need a riveting tool,
      > or can I just take a hammer and punch, or should I get one of those
      > master links that rivet by screwing them on?

      > Tom
      > '98 Sprint Executive
      > Ashland KY

      I am just about to replace the drive chain and sprockets. After
      consideration and information from trusted sources, I am going for the
      Triumph kit. I am informed that it is best (at least) to use the
      Triumph front sprocket, due to it being "rubber mounted" and takes a
      bit of lash out of the system. I would use a riveting tool for "peace
      of mind" and safety, you know the job is done correctly:0) Tyres are
      such a personal choice. I like Michelin Macadams, others loath them!
      But I like the 8000+ miles I get from the rears and the fact that they
      are a well made real world tyre.
      As a aside I have still got the original chain and sprockets on the
      Trophy after nearly 28,000 miles, I have a "Loobman" fitted, and clean
      the chain regulary (anal). It is still good for a few more thousand
      miles, no hooks. But I will be touring in Europe
      (Belgium,France,Andora and Spain) in August/September. So if I change
      it at 30,000 miles, that will make the Triumph kit "cost effective" :0)

      Mick,Scotland,UK.
    • Steve Wassenich
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
        Tom wrote:

        > I would appreciate recommendations of a good all weather
        > durable tire that would be best for interstate road type of riding. I
        > doubt that I'll be doing much riding on this bike in the twisties. I
        > have a smaller bike for that purpose.

        Probably the best touring tires are the Metzeler ME880s. Most of the
        sizes are bias-plies, which obviously won't work, but they do make them
        in 120/70VR-17 and 170/60VR-17 sizes, which are radials and fit a
        Sprint or Trophy perfectly.

        One (possibly former) lister answered a question like this in 2003.
        Russ Pagenkopf has run a couple of Iron Butt rallies on a Trophy and
        knows a bit about tire mileage. Here's what he said then:

        "I'm running ME880's at the stock sizes as they have a reputation for
        being one of the highest mileage tires available. This set has had
        serious highway mileage put on them and it shows. They have
        approximately 10,500 miles on them over the course of four major trips
        this summer and some minor mileage in-between. The front and rear have
        worn pretty evenly and are both worn to the point of needing
        replacement in the center. Now if I could run nothing but the edges,
        they'd have another 3000 miles in them. :-) The front tire has
        exhibited some very minor cupping and I'm hesitant to report even that.
        Noise from the tires over time has been minimal. They do very well in
        the rain, even plowing through torrential rain and standing water. I'm
        very pleased with them and will be replacing them shortly with the same
        tires."

        Since you're doing a lot of Interstate riding, I'd say the 880s would
        be worth a look.

        Steve W.
      • Phil Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
          Talk to the shop that will change the tires and get them to change
          the chain for nominal charge.
          My shop did it for $10 over the tire change.usually 1/2 hour labor
          charge $35. But with tire change, it's half that... It's labor, it
          is negotiable.

          Phil

          > In a nutshell......
          >
          > YES, you would need the chain riveting tool.
          >
          > But since you are having the tires mounted and balanced at a bike
          shop, I
          > personally would just allow them to also change the chain for you
          while you
          > are at it. The rear wheel's got to come off for the tire work
          anyhow.

          > As far as tires go, my opinion is that the Avon Azaro ST AV45/46
          tires are
          > the best (especially in the wet)...... although they do cost a few
          more
          > dollars -it's well spent.
          >
          > AJ Turner
          > '96 Merlot BBBB

          On the

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
            Hey Phil,
            Was the shop you used Rocket Motors? How long did it
            take to get it done?
            Regards,
            Poppa Jack

            --- Phil Smith <pjsmithres@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------
            Talk to the shop that will change the tires and get
            them to change
            the chain for nominal charge.
            My shop did it for $10 over the tire change.usually
            1/2 hour labor
            charge $35. But with tire change, it's half that...
            It's labor, it
            is negotiable.

            Phil

            > In a nutshell......
            >
            > YES, you would need the chain riveting tool.
            >
            > But since you are having the tires mounted and
            balanced at a bike
            shop, I
            > personally would just allow them to also change the
            chain for you
            while you
            > are at it. The rear wheel's got to come off for the
            tire work
            anyhow.

            > As far as tires go, my opinion is that the Avon
            Azaro ST AV45/46
            tires are
            > the best (especially in the wet)...... although they
            do cost a few
            more
            > dollars -it's well spent.
            >
            > AJ Turner
            > '96 Merlot BBBB

            Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data
            citations & comments are solely & strictly the
            responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the
            information is solely at the risk & discretion of the
            reader!

            Unsubscribe:

            URL to this page:

            FAQs:
            color="#FF0000" size="3"><strong>FAQs (Frequently
            Asked Questions),

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------
          • Phil Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
              During a Major service I also had them do tires and a chain.
              Since I'm a "regular" customer, and the bike has had all services
              done there, they did it as a package deal. I estimate they charge
              too much to change a tire, so I "negotiated" a chain exchange with
              the tire change and it was a wash for price.

              They only have two mechanix and they get service done in reasonable
              time. The owner is also the back up mechanic. it's getting into
              the workflow that's hard. appointments are only 80% reliable.

              I you were a traveller on the road you might bump a scheduled
              repair. They are a very small shop and are very personable.

              Still don't know why it's never open Sunday or Monday.

              They are usually swamped and they have the drive in "help" calls
              that delay some of the work.
              They are the only Triumph shop in town (One T shop in North County
              35 miles farther away).

              They would do a tire in an hour if they had it planned. and the
              chain would only add a few minutes if it was cut to size.

              James is the mechanic that I rely on the other is OK but James knows
              what's going on.

              They carry RK chains in stock at Rocket but I got chain and
              sprockets from AFAM in Huntington Beach. Best choice!!!

              Phil

              > Hey Phil,
              > Was the shop you used Rocket Motors? How long did it
              > take to get it done?
              > Regards,
              > Poppa Jack
              >
              > --- Phil Smith <pjsmithres@...> wrote:
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Talk to the shop that will change the tires and get
              > them to change
              > the chain for nominal charge.
              > My shop did it for $10 over the tire change.usually
              > 1/2 hour labor
              > charge $35. But with tire change, it's half that...
              > It's labor, it
              > is negotiable.
              >
              > Phil
              >

              > > In a nutshell......
              > >
              > > YES, you would need the chain riveting tool.
              > >
              > > But since you are having the tires mounted and
              > balanced at a bike
              > shop, I
              > > personally would just allow them to also change the
              > chain for you
              > while you
              > > are at it. The rear wheel's got to come off for the
              > tire work
              > anyhow.
              > >
              > > As far as tires go, my opinion is that the Avon
              > Azaro ST AV45/46
              > tires are
              > > the best (especially in the wet)...... although they
              > do cost a few
              > more
              > > dollars -it's well spent.
              > >
              > > AJ Turner
              > > '96 Merlot BBBB

              9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_PyLZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL
              _FAQ/FAQ.html"><font