Shifter Shaft Seal

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2006
      Anybody here ever pulled the shifter shaft seal? I know how to replace
      the oil seal, it's getting at the little bugger that I'm talking
      about. It looks like removing the side stand is required, which
      requires removal of the grey side plate and God knows what.

      Any tips?

      RF Whatley
      Suwanee, GA
      '96 BRG 900
    • Tony D.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2006
        Richard, be sure you're not fooled by any excess oil dripping from the
        chain (in the area of the shifter) seal before you do anything.

        Tony D. '01 1200

        > Anybody here ever pulled the shifter shaft seal? I know how to
        replace
        > the oil seal, it's getting at the little bugger that I'm talking
        > about. It looks like removing the side stand is required, which
        > requires removal of the grey side plate and God knows what.
        >
        > Any tips?
        >

        > RF Whatley
        > Suwanee, GA
        > '96 BRG 900

      • Ken Hastie
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2006
          I agree. What I thought was an oil leak (I was convinced it WAS an oil leak)
          from that area was no more than oil
          splatter (Scottoiler-fed to chain) from the drive pinion. There was no oil
          at all getting on the rear rim, but a drip drip drip from that front pinion,
          especially when the bike was at rest. It's no more than a minor
          inconvenience.

          Ken Hastie
          List Owner