'96 trophy

  • david & peggy gens
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 25, 2006
      hi, thanks for letting me join. i have a question. i am looking at a '96 trophy 1200, that appears to be in very good to excellent shape. well maintained. however, it's got 84000 miles on it. allegedly uses a qt. of oil between oil changes, at 6000 miles. but the price seems right at $2000.00. so...is that alot of miles, or does she still have alot of life left in her? anybody got any experiance in putting high miles on a trophy 1200? i am thinking of this over a harley.
      all advice appreciated. thanks dave
    • Tandems, Ltd
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 25, 2006
        Dave, I have a '96 Trophy1200 w/42000 miles. I think it's still the
        best looking bike out there, and it's never let me down. I know the
        bike you're looking at has twice the miles, but I expect mine to get
        there, too. Mine doesn't use a drop of oil. If the plastic & tires
        are in good shape, and you have the maintenance records, I'd look it
        over carefully and, if satisfied, try to make the deal for it. I'd
        think you'd be able to get at least another 20-30,000 miles --
        probably much more -- out of this bike, if it's been well maintained.

        At 12:57 PM 2/25/2006, you wrote:
        >hi, thanks for letting me join. i have a question. i am looking at a
        >'96 trophy 1200, that appears to be in very good to excellent shape.
        >well maintained. however, it's got 84000 miles on it. allegedly uses
        >a qt. of oil between oil changes, at 6000 miles. but the price seems
        >right at $2000.00. so...is that alot of miles, or does she still
        >have alot of life left in her? anybody got any experiance in putting
        >high miles on a trophy 1200? i am thinking of this over a harley.
        > all advice appreciated. thanks dave

      • AJ Turner
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 25, 2006
          Hi Dave,

          I also have a '96 with 55,000 miles. Mine probably uses around a quart
          between changes too...but it has done about that since new actually. They
          don't like to be overfilled with oil AT ALL........... so I normally keep
          mine a touch below the full line anyhow

          These engines are bullet-proof with anything even close to proper
          maintainence.

          I also own a couple of Harleys. The Triumph will do EVERYTHING better than
          any Harley.

          The price is about right.

          As long as everything is working correctly, I'd go for it. And stay a
          member of this list as you will find it to be invaluable for any little
          things that may pop-up.

          AJ Turner
          '96 Merlot BBBB

          > hi, thanks for letting me join. i have a question. i am looking at a '96
          > trophy 1200, that appears to be in very good to excellent shape. well
          > maintained. however, it's got 84000 miles on it. allegedly uses a qt. of
          > oil between oil changes, at 6000 miles. but the price seems right at
          > $2000.00. so...is that alot of miles, or does she still have alot of
          > life left in her? anybody got any experiance in putting high miles on a
          > trophy 1200? i am thinking of this over a harley.
          > all advice appreciated. thanks dave

        • MICHAEL CHEYNE
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26, 2006
            Hi Dave,
            A pal of mine has a 1200 Trophy he bought from new and has now done in excess of 150000 miles on it and the engine has never been apart. It uses a little oil but he reckons it's good for another 150000 before anything need be done!! He has had it dyno tested regularly and he tells me it is as good today as the day he bought it! His troubles have been electrical (if you want to know about troubles) - apparently, his harness chafed through around the headstock - it cut out one day and wouldn't restart! Having fixed that, it's run fine. Having said that, his is a'92 model Trophy and the harness problem may well have been redesigned on later models.
            If that's not enough to help you change your mind, I remember seeing a bike at the Birmingham bike show a lot of years ago (here in the UK) where a courier had bought a new 900 Trident and had left it at his courier firm for anyone to use when he was not there - in a few short years it had done over 250000 miles and Triumph heard about it and bought it back off him to strip down and see how it was doing! They listed endless new parts the owner had replaced - brake pads, chains, footrest rubbers and so on. Having stripped the engine Triumph reported there was no discernable wear after a quarter of a million miles!
            My pal and I have always changed oil and filters every 5000 miles instead of the 6k Triumph recommend - apart from anything else, it makes it easier to see from the odometer when it's due!!
            Go for it!! If it lets you down get rid of it (or fix it)!!
            Good luck,
            Mike.

            david & peggy gens <captndaveandpeggysuetoo@...> wrote:
            hi, thanks for letting me join. i have a question. i am looking at a '96 trophy 1200, that appears to be in very good to excellent shape. well maintained. however, it's got 84000 miles on it. allegedly uses a qt. of oil between oil changes, at 6000 miles. but the price seems right at $2000.00. so...is that alot of miles, or does she still have alot of life left in her? anybody got any experiance in putting high miles on a trophy 1200? i am thinking of this over a harley.
            all advice appreciated. thanks dave

            Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

            FAQs:

            Triumph motorcycles Trophy Sports tour Triumph Sprint

          • Phil Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 26, 2006
              The problem with this forum is we all provide honest opinion based
              on our own experience. Some love it some don't. I l;ove it with
              all of it's warts. The bike is a work in progress, always. Mine is
              almost perfect now. Better than original. Read any of the last 100
              messages and you'll see we always are working on or fixing or
              adjusting or improving the machine.
              If the price is right for you, buy it. Just a bearing for
              comparison is the bags on the back are $500 each (retail). Two side
              fairings are $500 each. There's the $2000.
              Motorcycle is free! 8-)

              There are some here with over 100K miles.
              The engine, sounding like hell at idle, is smooth and powerful at
              speed. For $2K, it's not much, for alot of bike. You would have a
              great time riding the beast. In southern California $2000 doesn't
              get much bike. If it rides good and has had mainteance performed
              regularly it should last to the hundreds... If it's AFU and has
              maintenance issues it could cost alot to fix.

              I'm not lecturing, but this bike is not a scooter for the weak. It
              is a great, powerful machine that will put a grin from ear to ear
              that's hard to rub off. It can also make you change your shorts
              frequently if you let it get away from you. IMHO, It's not for the
              brand new rider. It (IS)/can be a handful...read FAQ re handling ,
              top heavy, power, etc.

              I was a little concerned about if it was the right one to buy and
              it's been fun and a challenge, but a great bike.

              Reliable, after you sort out the rubber vacuum issues and fuel. (FAQ)

              A lot of work getting the bugs off it after any ride as it really
              wants to go...fast.

              I ride with the faster liter bikes (Speed Triple and Daytona) and it
              keeps up just fine.

              2001 Pacific Blue 1200
              31K miles
              Heading for the snow on March 6th

              Commander Phil

              > hi, thanks for letting me join. i have a question. i am looking at
              a '96 trophy 1200, that appears to be in very good to excellent
              shape. well maintained. however, it's got 84000 miles on it.
              allegedly uses a qt. of oil between oil changes, at 6000 miles. but
              the price seems right at $2000.00. so...is that alot of miles, or
              does she still have alot of life left in her? anybody got any
              experiance in putting high miles on a trophy 1200? i am thinking of
              this over a harley.
              > all advice appreciated. thanks dave

            • John Haynes
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 26, 2006
                I found a second '99 Trophy seat to have a custom seat built from it. But, it doesn't have the fold out tie down hooks on it, but it does have the holes for them to be installed. Does anyone know where I can get the 4 hooks for this seat?

              • Phil Smith
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 26, 2006
                  Do you use the tie downs now?
                  If not, don't bother. Triumph probably gets $25-50 each! ;.)
                  I don't use them and My Corbin doesn't have them. With the panniers
                  I never have the need. With the Corbin I added the back rest and
                  can strap anything on to that.

                  > I found a second '99 Trophy seat to have a custom seat built from
                  it. But, it doesn't have the fold out tie down hooks on it, but it
                  does have the holes for them to be installed. Does anyone know
                  where I can get the 4 hooks for this seat?

                • lgl12356
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "david & peggy gens"
                    <captndaveandpeggysuetoo@...> wrote:

                    > hi, thanks for letting me join. i have a question. i am looking
                    at a '96 trophy 1200, that appears to be in very good to
                    excellent shape. well maintained. however, it's got 84000 miles
                    on it. allegedly uses a qt. of oil between oil changes, at 6000
                    miles. but the price seems right at $2000.00. so...is that alot
                    of miles, or does she still have alot of life left in her?
                    anybody got any experiance in putting high miles on a trophy
                    1200? i am thinking of this over a harley.
                    > all advice appreciated. thanks dave

                    Sorry, I don't check in here as often as I should.

                    Run away from this bike as fast as you can!

                    Oh, by the way, ..um... where is this bike located?
                    Send me the phone number. ...err, so I can put the seller
                    in his place. Yeah, that's it. How dare he try to sell
                    you this pathetic bike at such an outrageous price. Shame!

                    :)
                    Lowell
                    '96 Merlot (the color that doesn't care how fast it is)