Help on carb adjust.

  • Ed Walden
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
      Hey guys. I know that there was a very good recent article here about
      someone doing a carb adjustment on thier ride. Can you guys tell me
      what the article said about the turns on the screw out and the needle
      level. I want to do my own this next week and I want to do it on a
      2002 Triumph BBBB. Thanks for any help. Ed
    • Gregory Andrews
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
        Hi Ed, I wrote about my carb settings a few weeks ago. Mine is a '96
        900 with Mikuni carbs. What kind is yours? My settings would be
        worthless on a 1200.
        Greg Andrews

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2006
          Hey Greg. I have a 1200. I need to know how many turns to do and then
          what level the jets sould be at. Then I can do the rest my self.
          Thanks

          Ed

          > Hi Ed, I wrote about my carb settings a few weeks ago. Mine is a '96
          > 900 with Mikuni carbs. What kind is yours? My settings would be
          > worthless on a 1200.
          > Greg Andrews
        • Gregory Andrews
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2006
            Hi Ed, Most of us that have fiddled the idle air adjustment screw
            have it 2 - 2.5 turns out from lightly seated. The engine sound at
            idle is waaay better. For others reading this, the air screws are
            hidden by a cap or aluminum plug. The main jets are probably real
            close to right, however the middle carb had one size smaller. I
            still wonder about that. Now they are all the same at 125.
            I was looking for better gas mileage so I started dropping all the
            needles a notch at a time. The effect of the needles is more
            noticeable when starting to pass without shifting on the highway. I
            knew I went too far when it acted like it had turbo lag. Grab some
            throttle and it just waited for a moment before taking off. I raised
            it back up one notch. It was on that middle notch for a year and all
            seemed will,then I put it on a dyno that had a four gas analyser.
            The gas numbers were showing that it was still a little lean in the
            mid range. Up went all the needles one more notch. Back to the dyno.
            Gas numbers say-----Perfect. The mid range is stronger on passing.
            And the top end speed is still like its alway been. Go to straight
            Jail without passing Go.
            After you think you've got it right, find a shop with dyno that has
            an exhaust gas analyser.
            Hope this helps.
            Greg Andrews
            '96 900 BRG
            49,000 smiles

            "Ed Walden" wrote:

            Hey Greg. I have a 1200. I need to know how many turns to do and
            then what level the jets should be at.