Re: Shakes and brakes

  • Rob Sherman
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
      Phil is absolutely right on the tire pressure issue. MINIMUM of 38psi
      in the front. I've had my '99 Trophy 900 going on 4 years now, after
      riding Guzzis for nearly 30 years. I always noticed a slight weave at
      highway speeds, it just didn't feel as solid as my old Guzzis.
      Things improved greatly with a Racetech front end upgrade and new
      Avons but I could still detect a slight "hunting" feeling at high
      speeds and my front tire started cupping at around 5k miles (my rear
      tire is still good with 9k miles on it). I replaced the front tire
      and upped the pressure from 36 to 38, after reading the
      recommendations on this board, and the difference is amazing. The
      bike is absolutely rock solid at any speed now.

      Rob

      '99 Trophy 900
      '76 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans
      '94 Kawasaki KDX200

      > From my experience with the trophy, it's really suseptable to low
      > front tire pressure problems. 38 psi and no less and you should be
      > ok. I really feel like this is the gremlin. I thouht it was BS
      > when my dealer said 38 not 36 and it cured the wobble.
      > Also the lower pressure seems to let the cupping happen on the
      front
      > tire.
      >
      > From four different manufacturer reps over the last two years of
      > inquiries (Avon, Dunlop, Bridgestone, and Michelin) emails and web
      > sites or direct concersations the tire pressure on the 2001 triumph
      > trophy needs to be 38 front and 41 rear.
      >
      > I talked to them all due to the cupping wear on the tires. They
      > mentioned the cyclic wobbble as something that they had been aware
      > of.
      >
      > phil

    • trophykev
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Gore" <e-mail@a...> wrote:

        > Must be thing about Trophy-riding ex-police!
        > I do find the Trophy makes a superb bike for
        > instruction/observing and hope Triumph eventually come up with a
        > replacement. No rush though. My 03 with only 5,000 miles on it
        > has got to be good for another 20 years yet.

        Your Trophy is a mere baby, she should last well into her twenties.
        My '92 trophy 1200 has 89,000 she is heavy as hell to push but then
        can slow walk or weave the cones like any moped when instructing.
        Definately proves a point to the youngsters.

        KEV (Ex Rat but still serving)
      • mark wurty
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
          2001 Triumph Trophy

          Anyone have an idea of a part number for the 1" square module under the front fairing that turns off the headlight when the starter button is pushed ??
          It has five wire plug going into it.
          Mine is shorting out and the head light flickers all the time.
          Our local Triumph shop doesn't have a clue...

          wurty

        • Phil Smith
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
            Hope this helps.
            #1 Fire the Triumph Dealer (as usual). It's in the service manual and
            should be known. Also on the microfiche. Also documented in the
            furum Photos (see below)

            #2 Look in the photo section for my headlight and indicator relays
            pics.
            Last year I moved mine from the center fairing to the main frame next
            to the indicator relay and it doesn't stress the wiring harness
            anymore. I found it flickered and it was loose in the fairing.
            The screw mount broke off so I just wire tied it to the same spot as
            the indicator relay on the subframe in front of the forks.

            #3 It's referred to as the headlight cutout relay (when fitted). Not
            all have this.
            It should be the same as the other two (high and low beam relay) in
            the fairing.
            One test would be to check the others for similar part number and
            exchange to check to see that it's the relay. If it's the same just
            swap out with replacement. Triumph gets about 60 bucks for one but
            I've heard that auto parts places can substitute with similar relay
            for $15. 12V 30A
            From the microfiche
            P/N for the relays are:
            T2500155 is the relay nearest the wiring harness
            T2500167 is the relay wire harness
            T2500025 T0301 is the indicator relay
            My dealer found a substitute in his stock.
            NOT the trophy refered part. It just needs the same plug ins and the
            same rating.
            It's a relay and just needs to cycle on and off.

            Phil

            > 2001 Triumph Trophy
            >
            > Anyone have an idea of a part number for the 1" square module
            under the front fairing that turns off the headlight when the starter
            button is pushed ??
            > It has five wire plug going into it.
            > Mine is shorting out and the head light flickers all the time.
            > Our local Triumph shop doesn't have a clue...
            >
            > wurty

          • Dean Barger
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
              What occurs to me when I am stopped for speeding - "How freakin' fast must you have been going to catch up to me, officer !?!"

              LONDON (Reuters) - A British traffic officer caught driving at 159 mph but cleared by a court of speeding and dangerous driving faces a legal move at the High Court in London Wednesday to convict him.
              if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write(""); if (window.yzq_a) { yzq_a('p', 'P=QElvTkLaS.ZhZQueQ9fhvArj0BHUY0PiOsQAAtal&T=13ofk7a4h%2fX%3d1138899652%2fE%3d7666457%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d3380897746%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d83A949D1'); yzq_a('a', '&U=139ce5hkb%2fN%3dzVtrP0LaS.w-%2fC%3d386172.7627636.8651953.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d3224111'); }
              The Attorney General will appeal against the acquittal of constable Mark Milton and seek a High Court order that the advanced police driver should be convicted over his high speed blast in the early hours of December 5, 2003.
              Milton, a qualified advanced driver, was recorded by an onboard camera in his upgraded unmarked Vauxhall Vectra police car traveling at 91 mph in a 30 mph zone and hitting 159 mph on the M54 motorway. The legal limit in Britain is 70 mph.
              Milton's defense, accepted by the local judge in May 2005, was that he had taken the car on a test run around Telford, Shropshire, where he was based.
              The judge said the prosecution had failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he had driven dangerously and that the car was being "used for police purposes" when the incident occurred.
              The ruling prompted outrage in the media and condemnation from motoring groups.
              Wednesday, lawyers for the Attorney General will argue the district judge erred in law when he made his judgment.

              mcatrophy <mc@...> wrote:

              Ok, ok I seem to have started something amongst our boys in blue
              (fluorescent yellow?).

              I met up with a policemen whilst touring in Scotland (see
              http://atrophy.lock.net/atrophy/Documents/hebrides.html) last year.
              Steve (see
              http://atrophy.lock.net/atrophy/Pictures/hebrides_better/index.php?image=DSCF1536.JPG&size=1)
              used to be a Metropolitan motorcycle copper. He told me he got himself
              transferred from the road. He said he wasn't prepared to continue when
              he believed road policing was going in an unsafe direction.

              I would also add he was an excellent rider, it was an absolute
              pleasure to see the way he could tag onto our tour leader (who was
              police trained) and follow him as if on a piece of string.

              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
                In a message dated 02/02/2006 17:14:01 GMT Standard Time, deanbar@...
                writes:

                What occurs to me when I am stopped for speeding - "How freakin' fast must
                you have been going to catch up to me, officer !?!"

                What concerns mw is why a police car flies past me when I am on 70 mph
                National Speed Limit and further up the road I see them in a fuel station munching
                sweets. Then go off and report some poor guy for speeding!

                Cofion, (Regards in Welsh) Reidio Y Balchder.
                John Bonnewell., Secretary & Treasurer _Blue Knights Wales 1_
                (http://www.bkwales1.co.uk/)

              • Randall Rolling
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Dean Barger <deanbar@...> wrote: "What occurs to me when I am stopped for speeding - "How freakin' fast must you have been going to catch up to me, officer !?!"
                  Now, that's part of the fun. Going fast to arrive timely at a scene or to catch as violator is one thing. Going fast just for the fun of it, well personally I feel if you get caught and get a citation, then you got caught and you pay it. If you can't afford to get caught and have to pay the fine, then slow down. Or, at least get a better radar detector.

                  Randy

                • Phil Smith
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
                    > What occurs to me when I am stopped for speeding - "How freakin'
                    fast must you have been going to catch up to me, officer !?!"

                    My last stop, the LEO (California Highway Patrol) on a BRAND NEW BMW
                    (he wore the last one out) said if I didn't slow for the traffic jam
                    on the freeway he never would have caught up to me.

                    He also took nearly 5 minutes admiring the Trophy and asking me about
                    it and the workings of the new (Hinckley) Triumphs.

                    He did say the BMW was nice, quick, smooth, but he thought they were
                    having a lot of maintenance compared to the endurance. Maybe it's a
                    warrranty thing. I think the maintenance contract that the CHP got
                    with the BMRs must be keeping BMW afloat. He rode a lot and had a HD
                    Road King. YUCK!

                    phil
                  • mcatrophy
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 3, 2006
                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Smith" <pjsmithres@...>
                      wrote:
                      > He also took nearly 5 minutes admiring the Trophy and asking me
                      about
                      > it and the workings of the new (Hinckley) Triumphs.

                      This is very common. Even a vicar came up to me when I had just
                      parked, same sort of conversation (only he didn't ride a HD, it was a
                      H*nd*.

                      He asked me "how fast does it go?". My answer was truthful - "I don't
                      know".

                      I didn't tell him it had done 140 mph, but wasn't flat out!

                      I would add that there was no significant vibration, but a few
                      hundred miles later the front end started shaking at about 90. At the
                      time I had some anti-puncture gunk in the tyres, I think the high
                      speed might have moved it to cause an out of balance. Or maybe the
                      wear of the tyre (with some cupping) may have caused it to go out of
                      balance. I'll be changing it in a few weeks (at its annual service),
                      hope all will be well after that.

                      Not that I'll be going that fast again. Honest.

                      mcatrophy
                      '02 BBBB
                      http://atrophy.lock.net
                    • Randall Rolling
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 3, 2006
                        Rob Sherman <rsherm@...> wrote:"Phil is absolutely right on the tire pressure issue. MINIMUM of 38psi"

                        Ok, I'll bump it to 38 and try it for a while.

                        Randy

                      • Dean Barger
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 3, 2006
                          Can someone demystify the chain tensioner for me? I can't see the tightener that the manual shows. 99 Trophy 1200.

                        • mark wurty
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 4, 2006
                            Thanks Phil for the heads up.
                            Right now I have it bypassed but I assume the relay was put there for a reason.

                            wurty

                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 5, 2006
                              Drop me an email at shodan64@.... I have some documentation that
                              I can send you for this.