Ohlins Fork Springs for the Trophy

  • R. Hartwick
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
      With the fork spring thread, I thought I would throw in my experiences
      with them. I had put in a set of RaceTech 0.95 rate springs on two
      different Trophys over the years, and was not thrilled with the
      results. In the end, I always took them back out and went back to
      stock, as I felt they were too harsh for touring. I also put the RT
      emulators in, and liked the results, so they stayed (not much choice,
      after drilling out the compression holes).

      Ohlins has had a set of replacement fork springs for the Trophy since
      way back when the Trophys were first introduced. I ordered a set - they
      are not a common stock item, but they are still available from the
      factory with a few weeks wait. They don't list their exact rate. They
      come with pre-cut spacers, that if I didn't have the RT emulators in,
      would have fit perfectly without cutting.

      The results on these were Fantastic! They are not harsh at all. The
      ride is supple, yet controlled, and in my experience, an order of
      magnitude better than the RaceTechs. Not long after getting everything
      settled in and the sag set exactly where I want it, I took them on a 5K
      mile round trip out west, and they were just the most comfortable,
      confidence inspiring setup one could wish for. So there is an
      alternative to the RaceTechs, if you are willing to wait to receive them.

      The Ohlins part numbers are:

      08800-01 FSK Trophy 900/1200

      As for the RT emulators, they work, but remember all they do is replace
      the compression fixed holes with their spring-valve, so they only soften
      and allow control over the compression. Rebound is unchanged, and is
      thus controlled via the oil weight. They take the harshness out of
      sharp bumps, but otherwise, you can get by without them just fine.

      I also had put the Ohlins shock on the rear with a 550 rate spring, and
      the smoothness of the ride with the combination of good front forks and
      a good rear shock is just mind boggeling. The bike just feels under
      total control at all times, and is way more comfortable than stock.
      With new Avons, the bike just feels like it has incredible handling
      capabilities. Suspension fussing takes time, but once you get it right.
      it is a joy to behold.

      Rick Hartwick
    • John Doak
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
        Hi all,

        Based on Rick Hartwick's recommendation of Ohlins fork springs and rear
        shock for the Trophy 1200, I went to the Ohlins USA website and clicked on
        their recommendation for the Triumph Trophy. The only Trophy 1200's for
        which they list suspension components are 1996 through 1999, for which they
        recommend the #08800-01 fork spring kit and the #TR601 rear shock. Retail
        for the spring kit is $116.50 and $755.00 (gulp!) for the rear shock with
        spring.

        I called Ohlins USA at 828-692-4525 to see if these components would fit my
        2001 Trophy 1200. A very helpful guy named Steve at Ohlins said they had no
        information whether these components would fit my 2001 Trophy, but said he
        would "check with Sweden" to see if they knew if these would fit my 2001
        Trophy.

        Does anyone know if there were any changes to either the forks or the
        mounting positions of the rear shock on the Trophy 1200 after 1999 that
        would suggest the Ohlins fork spring kit and rear shock for 1996-1999 Trophy
        1200's would or would not fit my 2001?

        Thank you in advance.

        John Doak in Baltimore, MD
      • Tom
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "John Doak" <JohnHuntD@C...>
          wrote:

          > Hi all,
          A very helpful guy named Steve at Ohlins said they had no
          > information whether these components would fit my 2001 Trophy, but
          said he
          > would "check with Sweden" to see if they knew if these would fit my
          2001
          > Trophy.
          >
          > Does anyone know if there were any changes to either the forks or
          the
          > mounting positions of the rear shock on the Trophy 1200 after 1999
          that
          > would suggest the Ohlins fork spring kit and rear shock for 1996-
          1999 Trophy
          > 1200's would or would not fit my 2001?
          > Thank you in advance.
          >
          > John Doak in Baltimore, MD

          John,
          Take a look at the files section, this should help you make a
          very informed descion about suspension upgrades.
          Regards
          Tom D.

          20Information./

          20Information./

          20tips/
        • Alec Gore
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
            Ohlins 46ERS, listed for 96-99, bolts straight into any of the
            later 1200s. Guaranteed, I have one! I asked the same question.
            I wondered why they are reluctant to commit themselves to an
            answer. The reason, I believe, is that they've never done it
            themselves. Harris, their UK agent confirmed this when I saw
            them at the NEC show in November.

            Mark at MH Racing did mine for me: http://www.mhracing.com/ I'd
            recommend him to anyone in UK.

            For the front forks, I would recommend RaceTech gold valve
            emulators / .95kg springs with 35mm sag. (Based on 185-200lbs
            weight and moderately positive riding style.) Don't go with
            RaceTech's low sag figure, you'll upset the geometry of what is
            basically a sport-TOURER. Remember stock springs were only .5kg
            and 50-odd mm sag, that's why the stock front is so mushy.

            Mine is perfect now. Rode 90 miles each way through B-roads from
            SW London over the Sussex Downs to Arundel Castle yesterday. All
            riders in the groups were advanced-riding instructors/observers.
            What a ride! The Trophy behaved impeccably on all sorts of
            debris and road conditions. And that's still with the stock
            BT054s.

            Regards

            Alec
          • Tom
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Gore" <e-mail@a...> wrote:
              > Mine is perfect now. Rode 90 miles each way through B-roads from
              > SW London over the Sussex Downs to Arundel Castle yesterday. All
              > riders in the groups were advanced-riding instructors/observers.
              > What a ride! The Trophy behaved impeccably on all sorts of
              > debris and road conditions. And that's still with the stock
              > BT054s.
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > Alec

              Alec,
              I want to read your post once you get better tyres on your
              machine...
              Tom D.
            • Alec Gore
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
                I know, but then I'd have no reason to keep the Ascot TT ;0)

                Regards

                Alec

                > > What a ride! The Trophy behaved impeccably on all sorts of
                > debris and
                > > road conditions. And that's still with the stock BT054s.
                > >
                > > Regards
                > >
                > > Alec
                >

                > Alec,
                > I want to read your post once you get better tyres on
                > your machine...
                > Tom D.
              • Tom
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006