Re: ! HELP! Thinking of getting a non-running 1996 Triumph Trophy 900. ! HELP !

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Gore" <e-mail@a...>
      wrote:
      Sikorsky sold HK Government a helicopter
      > fleet with lifetime guarantees on the electronics. When the
      > atmosphere dissolved the precious metals in the circuit boards
      > every two years or so, the replacement costs meant they "had to"
      > re-write the contracts!
      >
      > The oxidising effect of sunshine can be pretty potent too.
      >
      > If you can cover a bike with a good cover that breathes, do it.
      > Regards
      >
      > Alec

      I will confirm this info and that in this type of atmosphere;
      a "CLEAN" fresh water rinse is a very good thing to do!!!
      Tom D.
    • lgl12356
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Clark" <apsllp@b...>
        wrote:

        > Unfortunately Triumphs In running shape they don't bring much.
        In great
        > running shape it might bring $3K
        >
        > Bob Clark

        Actually, that might be a good thing in this case.
        He can use that in negotiating a (ahem) "fair" price
        for this piece of junk that doesn't even run. Bring
        up a dealer quote on parts and labor for a carb rebuild.
        Heck, you might get the guy to pay you to take it away.
        :)

        Then, throw a few dollars and a couple weekends at it,
        and drive away with this silly grin the rest of us keep
        getting.

        Better check the title if it was wrecked before. Might
        be a "Salvage".

        So far as a little rain, my '96 has pretty much set out
        since I got it in Oct 2001. Sometimes covered. Only a
        couple winter months a couple years in a storage unit
        or trailer, not yet this year. Runs and starts good as
        ever (as long as it's above freezing).

        Lowell
      • chris orbics
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
          I just went to the Triumph shop today and got a quote of $280 for the carb cleaning and tuning. It would be $40-45 for each gasket for the three carbs which is what the owner says it needs. the mechanic there says he doesn't think it's needs any news parts but he says it probably just needs a good cleaning do $280 isn't that bad.

          as far as what i am i going to offer it will be $100-200. he has no interest at all in the bike and i don't have a lot of money to offer anyway. besides i've never seen the bike even turn over so i could be buying a basket case although i'd dought it.

          hopefully i'll get it and get it cheap. i have a feeling if i tell him that i'll save him the trouble of trailering it away (which he said he's going to junk it), tell him i'll let him ride it when it's done then i'll probably get it for free. we'll see how it goes. I hope it won't be too much for me since it will be my first street bike. i've been riding dirtbikes since i was 13 so i have 2 wheel experience but i know this is totally different. i sat on the new Triumph 955 sport touring bike today to see what something like this feels like and it seems i'll just have to get used to the weight and the power.

          i was thinking about trying to do the carb work myself but i've never worked on a multi cylinder motorcycle before. I have read a couple over general motorcycle repair books in the bookstore and it doesn't seem too hard but i'n not to sure about evening out the carbs. i was thinking that i would just try to leave all the settings where they are and just try to get it running and spray carb cleaner in. if thay doesn't solve it than possibly take the carbs appart. i'm really unsure of my self because i've never done it but i am very open to learn about new things when it comes to engines. i can always try to get one of my buddies to come over and help me if i can ever pry them away from their girls.

          chris

          wrote:

          > Unfortunately Triumphs In running shape they don't bring much.
          In great
          > running shape it might bring $3K
          >
          > Bob Clark

          Actually, that might be a good thing in this case.
          He can use that in negotiating a (ahem) "fair" price
          for this piece of junk that doesn't even run. Bring
          up a dealer quote on parts and labor for a carb rebuild.
          Heck, you might get the guy to pay you to take it away.
          :)

          Then, throw a few dollars and a couple weekends at it,
          and drive away with this silly grin the rest of us keep
          getting.

          Better check the title if it was wrecked before. Might
          be a "Salvage".

          So far as a little rain, my '96 has pretty much set out
          since I got it in Oct 2001. Sometimes covered. Only a
          couple winter months a couple years in a storage unit
          or trailer, not yet this year. Runs and starts good as
          ever (as long as it's above freezing).

          Lowell

          Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

          FAQs:

          Triumph motorcycles Trophy Sports tour Triumph Sprint