Re: [TriumphTrophy] fuel costs

  • Jamie Town
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
      I filled up today at $3.22/gallon. Cost me $18 and change. With my new
      commute, that'll last me about 3 days. :P I'm thinking of taking the
      bus. More because I hate putting >1200 miles a month on the Trophy just
      going to work and back than the cost of gas.

      Jamie
    • Grant Marshall
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3, 2005
        >> I'm thinking of taking the
        > bus. More because I hate putting >1200 miles a month on the Trophy
        just
        > going to work and back than the cost of gas.
        >
        > Jamie

        The trip on the bus means you can read or space out. I find the ride
        is a pleasure though. It starts the day right.

        Grant
        98 bbb (Evil Eye)
      • russ
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 5, 2005
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Town <jtown@c...> wrote:
          > I filled up today at $3.22/gallon. Cost me $18 and change.

          just got back from Europe after a 2000 mile trip. Was paying Over
          £1.00 a litre for petrol in France!!!!!

          only problem with bike was bracket for cut out switch on side stand
          broke off.

          Saw LOTS of WWII battle sites, and can only wonder how those guys did
          it.

          Ride With Pride

          russ nurse
        • shodan64
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 10, 2005
            My 1999 fuel gauge started getting erratic and finally died last year
            (2004). It ended up being the wire connector under the gas tank
            became loose. Unbolt the two screws holding the tank in place and
            check the wiring for a loose clip.

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Hastie" <ken@h...> wrote:
            > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Tony D." <dagostino5@v...>
            > wrote:
            > > After 26K faithful miles my fuel gage went a bit crazy by
            swinging
            > the
            > > needle between E & F before giving up the ghost (now burried on
            E).

            > > I know there are some posts regarding faulty fuel sending units
            > and/or
            > > gages but I have some difficulty locating them so if anyone has
            any
            > > ideas for trouble shooting and repair
            >
            > I missed this post because I was in Denmark. I have repaired my
            fuel
            > gauge sender unit. I did it a few years ago now, and it still
            works!
            > The problem is that the unit is open, and submerged in petrol
            within
            > the tank, and the resin used to bond everything together
            deteriorates
            > in time, and is no more than a sticky mess after a few years. I
            > removed the fuel tank, then removed the sender unit by undoing the
            > four screws holding it in place. (Location is near the rear of the
            > tank).
            >
            > Although the manual says replace the gasket, I re-used it without a
            > problem.
            >
            > You will see the resistance wires, and it is probable (like mine)
            that
            > a wire has snapped going from the windings to a terminal. Mine was
            > still long enough to reach the terminal, where I re-soldered it.
            >
            > Guess I should say at his point that you need to be aware of the
            > dangers of fuel vapours, but hell, if you're that stupid you will
            only
            > kill yourself some other way anyhow 8:)
            >
            > After I re-soldered it, I couldn't find any overpriced Triumph
            brand
            > quick dissolve resin 8:), so I picked up my 2-part Araldite resin
            > tubes where it prudly displayed 'petrol resistant' in the small
            print.

            > I applied the resin over my repair and stuck it back into the tank.
            As