[TriumphTrophy] Re: Brake Rotors

  • Randall Rolling
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      "The 'Busa calipers went on tonight, never mind the
      ridge on the rotor. They bolted right on, as
      advertised. The pads are the ones that came with
      calipers,"

      Steve,

      Where did you get your Busa calipers?

      Randy

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
      http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Steve Wassenich <wassensf@e...>
        wrote:
        > 358 for a pair is simply astonishing. When I go back
        > Friday, I'll ask them to double-check it.
        >
        > Steve W.

        Steve,
        Don't wait to order them at that price; if you are planning to keep the
        bike, you will need them eventually!
        Tom
        PS: Try not to perform to many stoppies...
      • Steve Wassenich
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          Randall Rolling asked:

          > Where did you get your Busa calipers?

          eBay. Cost was 85 bucks and change for the pair, including shipping.

          There are usually one or two sets available at any given time.

          Steve W.
        • Steve Wassenich
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
            Wal_THO wrote:

            > I have only bought a replacement rear rotor from EBC.
            > It cost $50 USD less than triumph, approx. $140 USD,
            > however the replacement looks like crap, functions
            > fine but looks cheap. However the cost works out buy
            > the Triumph replacement.

            Thanks for the warning; I'll probably get the Triumph rotors.

            Steve W.
          • irbdfx
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
              My front brake rotors need replacing - according to the service limit
              in my Haynes manual. Anyone found a good cheap source?

              Also, I just finished a major service but was stymied when it came to
              dismantelling the steering head. It has a pair of 39mm locknuts - well
              beyond any wrenches I have around - and you need two of them! Has
              anybody undertaken this task?? Must be right up there in popularity
              with the swing arm lube.

              Ian
            • rickh1001
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 27, 2008
                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "irbdfx" <Ian_Bardsley@...> wrote:
                >>... Also, I just finished a major service but was stymied when it
                came to
                > dismantelling the steering head. It has a pair of 39mm locknuts - well
                > beyond any wrenches I have around - and you need two of them!

                Ian,

                Yup - you need two of them. They are just simple flat steel pieces,
                about 1/8" thick. They are more or less standard items, although I
                think I purchased my set from Triumph. They are worth having around
                the the shop, or you can borrow a pair from someone. You could also
                cut your own out of flat steel without too much trouble.

                I found that when adjusting the steering head, after you get it just
                right, back it off about another 1/8th of a turn or so, then tighten
                the 2nd locking nut. When you tighten the top cap nut, you will find
                it tightens up the bearings a little bit. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3
                tries before the whole assembly ends up with the desired pre-load.
                The forks should swing side to side with no resistance, but they
                shouldn't be loose either. It's a job well worth doing, and taking
                some time with, as it obviously has a real effect on handling.

                Anyway, the wrenches are a good investment, I think, and any large
                bike shop should stock them.

                Rick Hartwick