Replacement Seats

  • Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Holidays
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 8:44 AM
      We've used both the Corbin and Triumph gel seats for our Trophys. Most of
      our guests have preferred the Triumph Gel seat and I have to say I was not
      impressed with the fit of the Corbin or the price. If you are a shorter
      rider, the Corbin does have the advantage of a lower seat high due to dense
      foam.

      Passenger comments have been very positive on both seats over the stock.
      Looks wise, the Triumph seat is also much better. We've stopped buying the
      Corbin seats because they wear out around the area where the seat meets the
      tank. They seem to only last 2-3 seasons before they fray on the front
      corners.

      We've had better success with Corbin seats on Speed Triples, but all in all,
      not worth the money over the gel seat unless you're looking to lower your
      ride.

      All the Best,

      Mike Ciebien
      Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Holidays
      www.rockymtnmoto.com
    • vintagesailor
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 31, 2012
        After my 800 mile trip, my old Corbin seat is about shot. Can anyone suggest what brand seats I should consider regarding price for quality etc....
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 31, 2012
          Howdy Friend,
          When regarding one's most delicate situation a-la derri�re, I say
          "spare no expense, and leave no stone unrolled! Personally I have had
          four Corbin Saddles. Two of which I had a ride in appointment. I
          can't recommend this highly enough. Getting Mike's men to build a
          seat to exacting proportions to fit your own butt is shear heaven. I
          made an appointment for 8;30 AM on a Tuesday. They began by mounting
          the standard foam to your seat-pan, and by using varying densities of
          foam in layers, and having you ride it on your bike, they are able to
          make it a perfect fit. I've had saddles from many makers, and I
          suppose the Saddleman was about the closest to second best! That's if
          you're into second best! The most common gripe I have heard is that
          it really does take 3K miles to break it in. I didn't notice it
          myself, and I rode it on a 2K mile trip to break it in. NICE!!! Also
          "Sergeant" makes up a seat with a "gel-pack" insert. I believe that
          they all do now including Triumph. I haven't had the opportunity to
          test one on a motorbike yet, but, I have one on my bicycle, and WOW!
          no more "Monkey-Butt"!
          P>S> Their newest shop is still in the same area (Castroville?) or
          Gilroy I think.
          On Jul 31, 2012, at 6:53 AM, vintagesailor wrote:

          > After my 800 mile trip, my old Corbin seat is about shot. Can
          > anyone suggest what brand seats I should consider regarding price
          > for quality etc....

        • PaulB
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1 3:48 PM
            I concur with Jack, even though I only have two off the shelf Corbin seats. One was on the bike when I bought it; vinyl, cracked and torn and crudely repaired. The other is leather, nice shape, found on Craig's List locally for a reasonable price. Both are a bit too high at the front (or too low in the seat pocket) for me, with very firm seat padding. I'll be making or buying a little pad to build that area up and add some cushion and airflow (sheepskin). On a 250 mile ride last weekend I got a bit sore, especially where the front edges hit the backs of my legs.

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Byers <jackbyers@...> wrote:

            > Howdy Friend,
            > When regarding one's most delicate situation a-la derrière, I say
            > "spare no expense, and leave no stone unrolled!
            <snip>
            > Kindest regards,
            > Poppa Jack
          • Greg
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1 6:31 PM
              Hi Paul, I found that the AirHawk R I used on my 7,000 plus mile trip saved my ass from a lot of pain. It worked.
              Greg Andrews
              92,000 smiles

            • ldwolfe@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2 2:25 AM
                Paul,
                I found that the Corbin that came with my Spd Triple was very hard and unforgiving. I bought a Saddlemen before the current economy pushed the price up by almost double. It is soft, comfortable & a joy to both the Muse and my self on the longer trips.
                LDW

                From: "Greg" <gandrews@...>
                Sender: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 01:31:32
                To: <TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Replacement Seats

                Hi Paul, I found that the AirHawk R I used on my 7,000 plus mile trip saved my ass from a lot of pain. It worked.
                Greg Andrews
                92,000 smiles

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "PaulB" <pdb@...> wrote:

                > I concur with Jack, even though I only have two off the shelf Corbin seats. One was on the bike when I bought it; vinyl, cracked and torn and crudely repaired. The other is leather, nice shape, found on Craig's List locally for a reasonable price. Both are a bit too high at the front (or too low in the seat pocket) for me, with very firm seat padding. I'll be making or buying a little pad to build that area up and add some cushion and airflow (sheepskin). On a 250 mile ride last weekend I got a bit sore, especially where the front edges hit the backs of my legs.
                >
                > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Byers <jackbyers@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Howdy Friend,
                > > When regarding one's most delicate situation a-la derrière, I say
                > > "spare no expense, and leave no stone unrolled!
                > <snip>
                > > Kindest regards,
                > > Poppa Jack

                ------------------------------------

                List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2 4:34 AM
                  CANDYASSES! <POPPA
                  On Aug 2, 2012, at 2:25 AM, ldwolfe@... wrote:

                  > Paul,
                  > I found that the Corbin that came with my Spd Triple was very hard
                  > and unforgiving. I bought a Saddlemen before the current economy
                  > pushed the price up by almost double. It is soft, comfortable & a
                  > joy to both the Muse and my self on the longer trips.
                  > LDW

                • Mike Stephenson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2 5:56 AM
                    I guess I am a candy ass as well - corbin that my bike came with was simply
                    shaped wrong for me, and to hard. biggest issue was the way the passenger
                    portion cups around the back end, effectively loosing some useable seat
                    length for the passenger. As my wife has long legs, she wanted the added
                    room offered by being able to scoot all the way back.

                    So I had a stock seat modified by Spencer (google spencer seat mod to find
                    their web site. ) Love it so far. No issue with downward slope up front
                    (ie no nutt cracker!). Seems comfy to me. Wife loves it to. Plus, the
                    stock seat puts passenger slightly higher, adding more leg room vs Corbin,
                    in addition to full length being useable. Very fast turn around, and low
                    cost If I recall correctly, was around $70 including their upgraded foam
                    "supra core" or some such thing.

                  • PaulB
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2 10:03 AM
                      Hey Poppa, I resemble that remark.

                      Just one additional data point for those who care. I also bought a stock '95 saddle in very nice condition, and it seems to fit my '96 just fine (same Corbin part # for both years). Today I tried it for the first time on my ride to work. Comparing to the Corbins the seat has a lot more padding, seems lower somehow (possibly an illusion caused by being narrower), feels like the step is closer to the tank (less roomy), and slopes toward the front. I banged my knee on the back edge of the fairing at one stoplight. For a short 40 minute commute it was fine, I'm not sure how it would be on a longer ride, especially seeing how my backside has softened over the past 22 years (last Iron Butt was in 1990). I'll look into the AirHawk. Thanks Greg for the suggestion!

                      - Paul

                    • nort75mk3@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2 11:09 AM
                        I have a dual canyon Corbin on one of my other bikes with 100K in that
                        saddle and it's still firm but comfy.

                        Tim

                        In a message dated 8/2/2012 6:35:20 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                        jackbyers@... writes:

                        CANDYASSES! <POPPA

                        (mailto:TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com)

                        (mailto:TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com)
                        (mailto:TriumphTrophy-owner@yahoogroups.com)

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        >

                        > ------------------------------------
                        >
                        > List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely
                        > add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to
                        > the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM,
                        > no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or
                        > commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/
                        > wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.
                        >

                        > Post message: _TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com_
                        (mailto:TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com)
                        > Subscribe: _TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com_
                        (mailto:TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com)
                        (mailto:TriumphTrophy-owner@yahoogroups.com)

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Kevin W. Dix
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2 11:12 AM
                          Look into spencer's seat rebuilding also, I love mine. Saved me the cost
                          for right now of the Mayer seat. KWD

                        • Bud Izen
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 2 11:37 AM
                            As I have posted numerous times, I've been riding a Rick Mayer custom
                            seat for quite a few years. I got the vinyl solo seat, and it has held
                            up wonderfully well. I actually made an appointment and dropped by. Rick
                            took pictures of me on the bike, as well as all kinds of measurements.
                            When I changed bars, I made another appointment and he redid the seat at
                            no charge. I understand since then that his prices (and popularity) have
                            gone up astromomically, but it's a great seat, and I have no problem
                            doing 600+ mile days without any saddle soreness whatsoever. There was
                            also no break-in period. The seat was comfortable from day one and still
                            is.

                            If you don't live within driving distance of his house, you can check
                            out his website, and send your measurements and seat pan to him. It used
                            to take him no more than 10 days to build and get your new seat to you.

                            Rick is a great guy and a major long distance rider himself. At the time
                            I was there, he had ridden his BMW from Redding CA to Bike Week at
                            Daytona FL in just five days.

                            Bud Izen
                            '99 Platinum 900
                            Eugene OR