Re: [TriumphTrophy] Trophy 900 or 1200

  • Steve Wassenich
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
      Gerard Louise wrote:

      > As I am looking to purchase a used Trophy and trade in my TBS-2000, I
      > am curious to see if some of the members of the groups may have some
      > suggestions if the 1200 (Beside the power) is a much better machine or
      > not.. Is there a noticeable handling difference between the 2
      > machines?

      The 1200 weighs a little more which, theoretically at least, should
      change the handling, but since the additional weight is about as low as
      it can be, I doubt it adds or detracts from the handling. The 900
      _might_ be a bit lighter at the controls, perhaps enough to make a
      difference if you spend a lot of time flinging it about. I've ridden a
      1200, though not aggressively, and didn't notice it.

      AFAIK, the engine is the _only_ difference between the two.

      As an aside, the '99 and later 900s seem to burn substantially less
      fuel than the earlier ones and all of the 1200s, if that's important to
      you. The only reason of which I'm aware is that the later 900s have
      Keihin carburetors; the earlier 900s (and all the 1200s) have Mikunis.

      Steve W.
      '01 900
    • Gerard Louise
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
        Tom; I am a 51 years old 5'10" rider and I ALWAYS ride alone. I love
        the Thurnderbird Sport but am looking at a more confortable ride for
        longer journeys. Power is important to me but not as much as it used
        to be. Feeling comfortable on a bike is more important than power...

        ~ Gerard

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <motoworld2001@y...>
        wrote:
        > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard Louise" <gerard@t...>
        wrote:
        > > As I am looking to purchase a used Trophy and trade in my TBS-
        2000, I
        > > am curious to see if some of the members of the groups may have
        some
        > > suggestions if the 1200 (Beside the power) is a much better
        machine or
        > > not.. Is there a noticeable handling difference between the 2
        machines?

        > > Thanks for any feed-back..
        > >
        > > Gerard
        >
        > Gerard,
        > You will need to provide the group with your intentions,
        > basically what are your riding parameters? Two-up, or single rider,
        > mountains, etc... The 1200 is my pick hands down, wouldn't want less
        > of a motor.
        > Tom D.
        > Let the flame war begin!!!!!!!!!!
      • Andrew Bell
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
          Given that, the 900 would be plenty. Plus with the 900 you get better
          mileage.

          Andrew
          '96 1200 Trophy

        • deweyb@orandelphi.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
            Oh no, not another 900 vs 1200 thread!

            My 2c

            Two up touring: 1200
            raw power:1200
            better mileage: 900
            weight: 900
            handling: ???????? other than less weight
            cool factor: 900 (I have a 900) ;)

            <<Brian>>
            96 Sprint 900 (Trophy Lite)

            PS The Sprint 900 is a great Sport/Touring Bike also. Plus you can pick them up cheap on Ebay.

            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
              wrote:
              > Tom; I am a 51 years old 5'10" rider and I ALWAYS ride alone. I love
              > the Thurnderbird Sport but am looking at a more confortable ride for
              > longer journeys. Power is important to me but not as much as it used
              > to be. Feeling comfortable on a bike is more important than power...
              >
              > ~ Gerard

              Gerard,
              A "properly tuned" 1200 is smoother than the 900 and against the
              thought of many of my fellow Trophy owners, the fuel mileage is not a
              factor either for 1999 and later 1200. Triumph gave it their last
              hurrah for the Trophy which improved the fuel mileage 10%+ so a legal
              speeds (~65 mph), 47+ mpg is achievable. I would suggest the 1200 for
              the comfort factor straight out, less shifting and once the suspension
              is upgraded, the ride is excellent.
              Tom D.
              PS: There is no replacement for displacement...
            • hairhead@att.net
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
                > Tom; I am a 51 years old 5'10" rider and I ALWAYS ride alone. I love
                > the Thurnderbird Sport but am looking at a more confortable ride for
                > longer journeys. Power is important to me but not as much as it used
                > to be. Feeling comfortable on a bike is more important than power...
                >
                > ~ Gerard

                Most of the boys on here will tell you the 1200 rocks cause it's got more motor. Point taken.

                But I test rode both the 1200 and the 900 extensively before I bought one. For me it came down to the 900 weighing 50lbs less (and you certainly can feel it, both in the parking lot and tossing it around at speed). Plus the triple gets significantly better mileage, which means more range on the same tank of go-juice.

                That and Triumphs are SUPPOSED to be triples!!! Once they kill off the never-could-compete Daytona 650/Speed-4, there will be nothing but the triples and twins in the line up, as the motorcycle gods intended.

                Oh, and triples sound cooler. Oh, oh, and really confuse the old ladies at DMV (Are you sure it's not a 4? Or a 2 cylinder?).

                And my wife only weighs 95lbs, so I don't need the extra pulling power... ;)

                -Jason
                99 900

              • Randall Rolling
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
                  "47+ mpg is achievable"

                  Maybe for some. I've heard this before, but the best I can get on 2001 1200 is about 33mpg. But, I'm about 6'0"/210 and mostly ride two up. I also rearly ride below 80 mph on the highway or open back roads. Maybe that's the difference. Never rode a 900, but love the way my 1200 handles. My wife and I have spent several long all day rides in the saddle. I don't see where you could go wrong with the 1200.

                  Randy

                  '01 Trophy 1200

                • Phillip Koken
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
                    47 mpg?

                    baahhahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

                    I feel better now-

                    ---------------------
                    Sent with ChatterEmail
                    True push email for the Treo Smartphone
                    www.chatteremail.com
                  • hsfarber
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
                      47 Miles per IMPERIAL gallon? Maybe?

                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Koken" <phil@k...> wrote:
                      > 47 mpg?
                      >
                      > baahhahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha
                      >
                      > I feel better now-
                      >
                      > ---------------------
                      > Sent with ChatterEmail
                      > True push email for the Treo Smartphone
                      > www.chatteremail.com
                    • Phillip Koken
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
                        Maybe the miles are shorter...

                        ---------------------
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
                          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Koken" <phil@k...> wrote:
                          > Maybe the miles are shorter...
                          >
                          > ---------------------
                          > Sent with ChatterEmail
                          > True push email for the Treo Smartphone
                          > www.chatteremail.com

                          For you Phil and that wanna-be fast Platinum Trophy, the miles would
                          have to be shorter so you would have half a chance at beating my BRG
                          BBBB in a power struggle!!!!!!!
                          Still and always will be, the fastest color!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Tom D.
                          (HA-HAAAA!)
                        • Gordon
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
                            --- >
                            > 47 Miles per IMPERIAL gallon? Maybe?
                            >
                            > --- > > 47 mpg?

                            No, not imperial gallons either - I'd be happy with 37 (per imperial
                            gallon) if I could get that at dual carriageway / motorway / autoroute
                            speeds (80 - 95 mph ?) I buy in litres, and only get over 8 miles per
                            litre (36.4 mpg) if speeds are kept below 80.

                            Cheers, Gordon.
                          • Tom
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
                              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@b...> wrote:
                              > --- >
                              > > 47 Miles per IMPERIAL gallon? Maybe?
                              > >
                              > > --- > > 47 mpg?
                              > > > > >

                              > No, not imperial gallons either - I'd be happy with 37 (per imperial
                              > gallon) if I could get that at dual carriageway / motorway / autoroute
                              > speeds (80 - 95 mph ?) I buy in litres, and only get over 8 miles per
                              > litre (36.4 mpg) if speeds are kept below 80.
                              >
                              > Cheers, Gordon.

                              Gordon,
                              If you are going to operate the machine at that rate of speed you
                              might consider getting a better sprocket combo. If the motor is
                              turning about 3500 rpm (~65 mph), your fuel consumption will be
                              excellent. My 1999 is turning 5000 rpm @ 90 mph and the fuel economy
                              is poor, but then again I also have California spec Daytona cams
                              installed with 19/40 sprocket combo.
                              Tom D.
                            • Brian Jones
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
                                wrote:
                                > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard Louise" <gerard@t...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > Tom; I am a 51 years old 5'10" rider and I ALWAYS ride alone. I love
                                > > the Thurnderbird Sport but am looking at a more confortable ride for
                                > > longer journeys. Power is important to me but not as much as it used
                                > > to be. Feeling comfortable on a bike is more important than power...
                                > >
                                > > ~ Gerard
                                >
                                > Gerard,
                                > A "properly tuned" 1200 is smoother than the 900 and against the
                                > thought of many of my fellow Trophy owners, the fuel mileage is not a
                                > factor either for 1999 and later 1200. Triumph gave it their last
                                > hurrah for the Trophy which improved the fuel mileage 10%+ so a legal
                                > speeds (~65 mph), 47+ mpg is achievable. I would suggest the 1200 for
                                > the comfort factor straight out, less shifting and once the suspension
                                > is upgraded, the ride is excellent.
                                > Tom D.

                                Hello Tom!!!!!!

                                Tom, you post such affable waffle. Properly tuned...is smoother? Bollocks
                                mate; complete bollocks. Fuel mileage is not a factor for you, from the
                                accounts I recall of your mods, it is for others....including me. In my case not
                                for economy, but for range. BTW 50+mpg (US) is achievable at highway
                                speeds. Mid 40s mpg at 85mph. - this is on a 99/900 Keihin carbed bike that
                                has been looked after - but then again, it did that from the day I got it over 40k
                                ago. You are the only 1200 owner that has claimed high 40s for the 1200. I
                                think you have made a miscalculation. Stop by in Philly any time you want to
                                prove me wrong.

                                The comfort factor? The two bikes share the same chassis/seat/suspenson
                                etc: you are clutching at straws here, Tom.

                                Less shifting? I am sorry, I thought shifting down and hearing that gorgeous
                                raspy roar is what this is all about. Oh, oh, sorry Tom - the raspy roar is only
                                heard from the tripples. I understand now...there's nothing to listen to on the
                                Kawi-clone four, so no point in shifting. Got it.

                                You know what? Maybe you guys that enjoy not shifting should take a look at
                                the new scooters. They have funky luggage, look quite stylish I'm told- -and no
                                gear shift. Magic!

                                Just twist and go!

                                Cheers all.

                                Brian

                                > PS: There is no replacement for displacement...
                              • mlw
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 1, 2005
                                  amen!!!!!
                                  >> Tom; I am a 51 years old 5'10" rider and I ALWAYS ride alone. I love
                                  >> the Thurnderbird Sport but am looking at a more confortable ride for
                                  >> longer journeys. Power is important to me but not as much as it used
                                  >> to be. Feeling comfortable on a bike is more important than power...
                                  >>
                                  >> ~ Gerard
                                  >
                                  > Most of the boys on here will tell you the 1200 rocks cause it's got more
                                  > motor. Point taken.
                                  >
                                  > But I test rode both the 1200 and the 900 extensively before I bought one.
                                  > For me it came down to the 900 weighing 50lbs less (and you certainly can
                                  > feel it, both in the parking lot and tossing it around at speed). Plus
                                  > the triple gets significantly better mileage, which means more range on
                                  > the same tank of go-juice.
                                  >
                                  > That and Triumphs are SUPPOSED to be triples!!! Once they kill off the
                                  > never-could-compete Daytona 650/Speed-4, there will be nothing but the
                                  > triples and twins in the line up, as the motorcycle gods intended.
                                  >
                                  > Oh, and triples sound cooler. Oh, oh, and really confuse the old ladies
                                  > at DMV (Are you sure it's not a 4? Or a 2 cylinder?).
                                  >
                                  > And my wife only weighs 95lbs, so I don't need the extra pulling power...
                                  > ;)
                                  >
                                  > -Jason
                                  > 99 900

                                  > Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments
                                  > are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use
                                  > of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

                                  > FAQs:
                                  > href="http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_PyLZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html"><font
                                  > color="#FF0000" size="3"><strong>FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions),
                                  >
                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Randall Rolling
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                                    Not shifting? I don't get it. Weather it's a 900 or
                                    1200, I thought shifting was just part of riding a
                                    motorcycle. For me it's not just a need to shift or
                                    not, it's part of the fun. If you don't have to shift
                                    gears then are you riding a motorcycle?

                                    Oh and for the record, I'm the heavy one not my wife
                                    she's only about 115.

                                    Randy

                                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                  • Richard Cortezzo
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                                      I'm a 63 year-old weighing about 209, I ride a 900
                                      Sprint Exe. no mods done. I also ride alone and am
                                      very happy with the 900. My old bike was a Honda
                                      Intercepter which I thougt was fast, could be wrong.

                                      Rich
                                      1998 sprint

                                      --- hairhead@... wrote:

                                      > > Tom; I am a 51 years old 5'10" rider and I ALWAYS
                                      > ride alone. I love
                                      > > the Thurnderbird Sport but am looking at a more
                                      > confortable ride for
                                      > > longer journeys. Power is important to me but not
                                      > as much as it used
                                      > > to be. Feeling comfortable on a bike is more
                                      > important than power...
                                      > >
                                      > > ~ Gerard
                                      >
                                      > Most of the boys on here will tell you the 1200
                                      > rocks cause it's got more motor. Point taken.
                                      >
                                      > But I test rode both the 1200 and the 900
                                      > extensively before I bought one. For me it came
                                      > down to the 900 weighing 50lbs less (and you
                                      > certainly can feel it, both in the parking lot and
                                      > tossing it around at speed). Plus the triple gets
                                      > significantly better mileage, which means more range
                                      > on the same tank of go-juice.
                                      >
                                      > That and Triumphs are SUPPOSED to be triples!!!
                                      > Once they kill off the never-could-compete Daytona
                                      > 650/Speed-4, there will be nothing but the triples
                                      > and twins in the line up, as the motorcycle gods
                                      > intended.
                                      >
                                      > Oh, and triples sound cooler. Oh, oh, and really
                                      > confuse the old ladies at DMV (Are you sure it's not
                                      > a 4? Or a 2 cylinder?).
                                      >
                                      > And my wife only weighs 95lbs, so I don't need the
                                      > extra pulling power... ;)
                                      >
                                      > -Jason
                                      > 99 900

                                      > removed]

                                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                    • Tom
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                                        Ok Brian,
                                        Pick your ears clean, and open your
                                        eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                        Read my inserted comments.

                                        Hello Tom!!!!!!

                                        Tom, you post such affable waffle. Properly tuned...is smoother?
                                        Bollocks
                                        mate; complete bollocks.

                                        Response: I have ridden both, the triple is buzzer especially at
                                        higher rpm's.
                                        END of STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        Fuel mileage is not a factor for you, from the
                                        accounts I recall of your mods, it is for others....including me. In
                                        my case not
                                        for economy, but for range. BTW 50+mpg (US)
                                        You are the only 1200 owner that has claimed high 40s for the 1200.
                                        think you have made a miscalculation.

                                        Response: You are obviously a part-time group participant; this
                                        matter was reviewed and commented on by several 1200 owners and they
                                        agreed that if you run the machine at "legal" speeds (60-65 mph) the
                                        later Trophy's with the 19 / 40 sprocket combo "WILL" give those
                                        numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                        Again, don't be a part time list member, have your self-prepped with
                                        historical information so you can back up your
                                        claim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                        Oh yeah, take a look at the dyno-chart that I up-loaded in the files
                                        section, it speaks for itself,
                                        slowpoke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        Stop by in Philly any time you want to prove me wrong.

                                        Response: I'll meet you half way, start
                                        talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

                                        The comfort factor? The two bikes share the same
                                        chassis/seat/suspension
                                        etc: you are clutching at straws here, Tom.

                                        Response: Again, Pick your ears clean, and open your eyes! I did
                                        mention that "after" the suspension's are upgraded the 1200 has an
                                        edge. The extra 50 lbs is less upset by the larger bumps in the road.
                                        Response: Yes, IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

                                        Less shifting? I am sorry, I thought shifting down and hearing that
                                        gorgeous
                                        raspy roar is what this is all about. Oh, oh, sorry Tom - the raspy
                                        roar is only
                                        heard from the triples. I understand now...there's nothing to listen
                                        to on the
                                        Kawi-clone four, so no point in shifting. Got it.

                                        Response: You have obviously not ridden with me at your side. If you
                                        had, that raspy roar you speak of would be muffeled by this Kawi-
                                        clone, as you ate a big mouth full of the 1200's exhaust. Once again,
                                        you know not what you say.
                                        Put your motor where your mouth
                                        is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                        Again, Meet you half way.

                                        You know what? Maybe you guys that enjoy not shifting should take a
                                        look at
                                        the new scooters. They have funky luggage, look quite stylish I'm
                                        told- -and no
                                        gear shift. Magic!
                                        Just twist and go!

                                        Response: Kind of reminds me of you, just twist your ear, and you
                                        make a lot of noise without much
                                        action!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        Cheers all.
                                        Brian

                                        Response:
                                        Double Cheer's
                                        all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                        Tom D.
                                        1999 BRG BBBB

                                        > PS: There is no replacement for displacement...
                                        --- End story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                      • Phillip Koken
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                                          That response really needed additional exclamation points IMHO.

                                          ---------------------
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 2, 2005
                                            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Koken" <phil@k...> wrote:
                                            > That response really needed additional exclamation points IMHO.
                                            >
                                            > ---------------------
                                            > Sent with ChatterEmail
                                            > True push email for the Treo Smartphone
                                            > www.chatteremail.com

                                            I thought so
                                            too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                            !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                          • Phil Smith
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Aug 3, 2005
                                              Remember that this CAN be done. I couldn't believe it either.
                                              I rode with a guy breaking in his bike and he didn't exceed 60 MPH and
                                              we rode for two hours. I actually got closer to 51 MPG US!

                                              To make up for it, I rode around the next day and didn't go past third
                                              and stayed as close to 100MPH as possible.
                                              32 MPG for an hour of fun. When you hit the sweet spot from 5-6K it
                                              feels so good that gas doesn't matter any more.

                                              Still smiling.

                                              Phil

                                              > 47 mpg?
                                              >
                                              > baahhahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha
                                              >
                                              > I feel better now-

                                            • Alex Diaz
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 3, 2005
                                                Hey, now you're just bragging dammit!

                                                ;-)

                                                BTW, I don't see how the BBBB can be more smooth than the 900, which of
                                                course has PERFECT primary balance. I would think the 4 would buzz
                                                more-or-less like any other rice-burner 4. Better than many maybe, but
                                                not as smooth as the BBB!

                                                Alex

                                                hairhead@... wrote:
                                                <SNIP>

                                                > And my wife only weighs 95lbs, so I don't need the extra pulling
                                                > power... ;)
                                                >
                                                > -Jason

                                                <SNIP>
                                              • Alex Diaz
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Aug 3, 2005
                                                  DAMMIT!!! Where are you people finding these women?!? They keep
                                                  telling me that "average" is a size 12 now!!

                                                  Oh, and less shifting? Jeez people, are you guys like those BMW posers
                                                  who must have the SMG gearbox because it changes gears in 20
                                                  milliseconds? Oh yeah, because that should cut their 10 mph average
                                                  commutes big time! Nobody drives a stick shift in this country for the
                                                  efficiency of it--like the rest of the world does--we do it for the joy
                                                  of it.

                                                  Alex

                                                  Randall Rolling wrote:
                                                  <SNIP>

                                                  > Oh and for the record, I'm the heavy one not my wife
                                                  > she's only about 115.
                                                  >
                                                  > Randy

                                                  <SNIP>
                                                • Phil Smith
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Aug 4, 2005
                                                    Isn't it BBBB versus BBBS?

                                                    > BTW, I don't see how the BBBB can be more smooth than the 900,
                                                    which of
                                                    > course has PERFECT primary balance. I would think the 4 would
                                                    buzz
                                                    > more-or-less like any other rice-burner 4. Better than many
                                                    maybe, but
                                                    > not as smooth as the BBB!
                                                    >
                                                    > Alex
                                                    >

                                                    > hairhead@a... wrote:
                                                    > <SNIP>
                                                    >

                                                    > > And my wife only weighs 95lbs, so I don't need the extra pulling
                                                    > > power... ;)
                                                    > >
                                                    > > -Jason
                                                    >
                                                    > <SNIP>
                                                  • Tom
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Aug 4, 2005
                                                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Alex Diaz <alexdz@c...> wrote:
                                                      > Hey, now you're just bragging dammit!
                                                      >
                                                      > ;-)
                                                      >
                                                      > BTW, I don't see how the BBBB can be more smooth than the 900, which
                                                      of
                                                      > course has PERFECT primary balance. I would think the 4 would buzz
                                                      > more-or-less like any other rice-burner 4. Better than many maybe,
                                                      but
                                                      > not as smooth as the BBB!
                                                      >
                                                      > Alex

                                                      BBBB "Twin" balance shafts...