Back in the saddle...

  • oldtriumphguy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3 8:35 AM
      Hi all,

      After many years of being away from motorcycles, I am now the proud
      owner of a 2001 sunset red bbbb with 5,500 miles on the odometer.

      My last bike was a 1969 Bonneville which I owned through 1975. It was
      a wonder, and I spent many adventureous and pleasant miles on it,
      including a long and very memorable trip through the southern
      Colorado rockies during the oil crisis of 1973. I had a duffle bag
      strapped to the front of a sissy bar (remember those) and a 2 gallon
      gas can strapped to the rear of the bar. Not smart, but I was young
      and gas lines were long. I sold the bike during a period of financial
      stress and always wanted another, but school, career development,
      home construction, marriage, kids, etc. all got in the way (some of
      you may know this drill). Also, the Bonnie was like owning a
      helicopter: it seemed I spent as many hours maintaining the thing as
      riding it! I was forever filing and adjusting the points and
      adjusting the carbs (the slides were worn and loose in the barrels).

      Anyway, my middle age crisis struck, and I began researching bikes to
      buy. This research convinced me that a TT was the way to go, and
      this group, which I have been following for a few months, helped me
      immeasurably in this effort. I bought mine sight unseen (in fact I
      had never seen a Trophy in person, only in pictures). My only
      lingering doubt concerns the worry about owning a helicopter again,
      something that postings from this group has not entirely alleviated.

      So, now I have this Trophy, and it is fantastic! Such power and
      smoothness! And beauty! I have wondered, though: why so many gears
      and so close together; four would have been plenty given the broad
      torque range. And who designed that seat? My child-producing days
      are behind me, yet I want to keep my jewels. Taking a suggestion
      from a member's post to this group, I'm leaning towards resculpting
      the foam to make it a little lower, flatter, and wider, and not lean
      forward. If that doesn't work I'll revisit past postings of this
      group and purchase an aftermarket seat. I have already installed
      Genmar risers. The stock windshield seems fine, as I am 5'10" and the
      wind blast hits me near the top of the helmet. I have never ridden a
      bike with a windshield before; it (and the fairing)is great.

      My only problem so far: the left front turn signal works
      occasionally, but not usually, even though the bulb is good. When it
      is not working, the left rear signal flashes twice as fast. Bad
      ground or supply water?

      Well, thanks for suffering through this long opening post. And thanks
      to all of you, through your prior postings, for your help.
    • malcpowe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3 11:35 AM
        Welcome to the fold !

        Malcolm

      • Steve Wassenich
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3 1:53 PM
          oldtriumphguy wrote:

          > After many years of being away from motorcycles, I am now the proud
          > owner of a 2001 sunset red bbbb with 5,500 miles on the odometer.

          Excellent! Welcome to the fold.

          > My only lingering doubt concerns the worry about owning a helicopter
          > again,
          > something that postings from this group has not entirely alleviated.

          It's a machine, and no machine is perfect. Those of us who don't have
          trouble with them don't say anything because we're afraid the bike
          might hear and get uppity!

          > The stock windshield seems fine, as I am 5'10" and the wind blast
          > hits me near the top of the helmet. I have never ridden a bike with a
          > windshield before; it (and the fairing)is great.

          Awhile back, a couple of years maybe, some of us came to the conclusion
          that Triumph designed the screen for the "average-size" male, who is
          5'10". If you're shorter than that, you get noise; if you're taller,
          you get noise and buffeting. Just think; you've saved yourself some
          money. The rest of us poor slobs have to buy something else or go
          deaf.

          Steve W.
        • Phil Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3 3:21 PM
            "oldtriumphguy" <oldtriumphguy@y...> wrote:

            Welcome to Trophy land.

            Try this with the turn signal.
            There are 2 wires to the front and the rear turn signals. At the
            connector to the main harness from the turn signal subcomponent,
            (under seat in the back cowling and under the front center fairing
            near the fork there is a small hole to route wire to the turn
            signal) there is a plastic quick disconnect. Where they separate,
            the metal pin connector on the rear signal on my bike sometime
            slides out the back of the plastic connector. Just check to see
            that the connection is a complete connection. Disconnected,
            corrosion, broken wire? The design is that if the front or back
            turn signal have a problem they both act up and they are linked
            together. The left does not link to right, unless hazard flashers
            are on.

            Phil Smith

            > My only problem so far: the left front turn signal works
            > occasionally, but not usually, even though the bulb is good. When
            it
            > is not working, the left rear signal flashes twice as fast. Bad
            > ground or supply water?
            >
            > Well, thanks for suffering through this long opening post. And
            thanks
            > to all of you, through your prior postings, for your help.
          • David Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3 6:30 PM
              My 1998 TT's rear turn signal was doing the same thing. Mine wound up being the connector under the seat. I put a zip cord on it and it corrected the problem.
              Not the most technical fix, but it works.

[...]

              Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

              FAQs:

            • Richard
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3 9:55 PM
                Welcome home. My last bike was a '70 TR6 and there are many other
                Meriden owners here who can empathize with your position. I too bought
                my TT sight unseen and rode it home 1270 miles. Wonderful machines.
                They'll spoil you rotten.

                The biggest surprise for me was October. When everyone else put their
                bike away for the winter, the full fairing let me ride all winter. I
                had several 350 mile rides last winter in sub-40F weather. And loving
                every minute!

                Prepare to be spoiled.

                Richard Whatley
                Suwanee, GA