Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: helmets

  • jim schisler
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 30, 2005
      I started riding because I loved the wind whipping across my face. Made me
      feel like I was flying.
      The helmetless and low traffic days.
      Then one day I got hit at high speed by a bird or big bug that almost
      knocked me out and off my bike. Big bruise and lots of slime. Lesson
      learned. I'm not going to fall to necessarily need a helmet. Got my first
      street helmet.
      Years of riding and being moved into oncoming lanes, people running red
      lights, cell phone useage, ladies turned around in mini-vans yelling at
      kids, girls putting on make-up, people too old to be driving, kids searching
      for cd's, seeing accidents and the results of them has me in a full suit,
      full face helmet and riding boots or else I feel unsafe. Unfortunately
      wearing all this stuff takes away some of the 'fun' factor but keeps one
      safe for another days ride... although the fun factor has been somewhat
      balanced by the hp increase in bikes. 8^) -jims
      -----
    • Phil Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2005
        A bug or bird at 40 hurts a lot.
        A bug or bird at 100+ is KILLER.

        How 'bout that little rock that pops up from under a car or truck as
        you zoom down the road.
        Or the sandblasting behind that dirt hauler, before you blast past
        him as he slowly goes up that mountain grade without the passing
        lane.

        I've been "spotted" so many times with debris that I can't
        understand why they resist making full coverage a requirement to
        drive. Helmets won't let you live, in a high speed roll. They let
        you keep the inside stuff away from the outside stuff.

        As a former military pilot, with the Trophy, a wind screen might
        survive that bird strike but if you look at airstrikes in airplanes,
        many pilots don't survive and they are wearing "better than
        snell/dot" protective gear. The horror I've seen with tfoa and
        airstrikes...

        Phil Smith

        > Then one day I got hit at high speed by a bird or big bug that
        almost
        > knocked me out and off my bike. Big bruise and lots of slime.
        Lesson
        > learned. I'm not going to fall to necessarily need a helmet. Got
        my first
        > street helmet.
        > Years of riding and being moved into oncoming lanes, people
        running red
        > lights, cell phone useage, ladies turned around in mini-vans
        yelling at
        > kids, girls putting on make-up, people too old to be driving, kids
        searching
        > for cd's, seeing accidents and the results of them has me in a
        full suit,
        > full face helmet and riding boots or else I feel unsafe.
        Unfortunately
        > wearing all this stuff takes away some of the 'fun' factor but
        keeps one
        > safe for another days ride... although the fun factor has been
        somewhat
        > balanced by the hp increase in bikes. 8^) -jims
        > -----
      • Harold
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2005
          > I've been "spotted" so many times with debris that I can't
          > understand why they resist making full coverage a requirement to
          > drive.

          Following that logic to its inevitable conclusion, it's difficult to
          understand why they resist requiring all of us to sit at home, on the
          couch, cowering in front of the weather channel.

        • J .Mick. Ormerod
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1, 2005
            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Harold <hallmc@e...> wrote:
            > > I've been "spotted" so many times with debris that I can't
            > > understand why they resist making full coverage a requirement to
            > > drive.

            They do in the UK.

            Mick,Lancs,UK.
          • Alex Diaz
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 1, 2005
              Dude! Are you crazy?!? Don't you know TV's can explode, showering you
              with high velocity shards of broken glass!

              And sure as hell don't go take a shower, that's the most dangerous
              activity in the house!

              It's not safe anywhere!

              ;-)

              Alex

              Harold wrote:

              > > I've been "spotted" so many times with debris that I can't
              > > understand why they resist making full coverage a requirement to
              > > drive.
              >
              > Following that logic to its inevitable conclusion, it's difficult to
              > understand why they resist requiring all of us to sit at home, on the
              > couch, cowering in front of the weather channel.

              <SNIP>

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 1, 2005
                > Harold <hallmc@e...> wrote:
                > > > I've been "spotted" so many times with debris that I can't
                > > > understand why they resist making full coverage a requirement to
                > > > drive.

                I didn't write that.

              • Harold
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 1, 2005
                  > And sure as hell don't go take a shower, that's the most dangerous
                  > activity in the house!

                  Not if you have a granny-government mandated and approve helmet on your
                  head, assuming (of course) you have a government approved haircut.

                • Alec Gore
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 1, 2005
                    No, they don't. You only need to be covered for 3rd party
                    injury.

                    Regards

                    Alec

                    > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Harold <hallmc@e...>
                    wrote:
                    > > > I've been "spotted" so many times with debris that I can't

                    > > > understand why they resist making full coverage a
                    requirement to
                    > > > drive.
                    >

                    > They do in the UK.
                    >
                    > Mick,Lancs,UK.
                  • Phillip Koken
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 1, 2005
                      I like chicken.

                      Phillip Koken
                      http://www.koken.org/
                      Sunnyvale, California

                      AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
                      YM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
                    • Alex Diaz
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 1, 2005
                        And thus ended the helmet thread of Summer, 2005. Amen.

                        Alex

                        Phillip Koken wrote:

                        > I like chicken.
                        >
                        > Phillip Koken
                        > http://www.koken.org/
                        > Sunnyvale, California

                        <SNIP>

                      • Harold
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 2, 2005
                          > You only need to be covered for 3rd party
                          > injury.

                          Interesting. Could you elaborate a bit -- you mean that cyclist has to
                          be helmeted as a prerequisite to recovering damages from a third party?

                        • Phil Smith
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 2, 2005
                            Glad to see that we aren't too serious today