Pilot Powers, the first 280 miles

  • Phillip Koken
    Message 1 of 21 , May 1, 2005
      I went out and did some "testing" yesterday of my new Pilot Powers, and I am
      impressed.

      http://www.koken.org/phillip/triumph/tire_testing.jpg

      These tires are the best tires I have ever ridden on any motorcycle-

      There is no shortage of traction available with the new tires, and turn in
      is a quite a bit quicker than with the Avons (which were quicker than the
      BT020) and initially that bothered me. At the beginning of the ride I felt
      like I was learning the bike again, as I would overdo my steering inputs
      making for wavy lines through corners. Within 50 miles I got it all figured
      out, and now I really like the way the bike handles- almost effortless
      (which is saying a lot for a Trophy!). Road feedback from the Pilot Powers
      is different as well, they are a much softer tire and you feel this when you
      are riding, road cracks and surface irregularities don't feed back to the
      bars. This lack of "Road Texture" feel does not mean that the tires are
      numb, they just feel differently~ I had no issues with lack of feedback, and
      I certainly won't be complaining about the smoother ride!

      After 280 miles the tires do not look worn, merely "Scuffed" but time will
      tell if the mileage will be acceptable- I really like these tires and I
      would be willing to make the tradeoff of less mileage vs. higher
      performance. I believe that these are actually a safer tire for the way that
      I ride, as I did not manage to make them slide once yesterday, this would
      not have been the case had I been on the Avons.

      Phillip Koken
      http://www.koken.org/
      Sunnyvale, California

      AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
      YM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
    • Phil Smith
      Message 2 of 21 , May 1, 2005
        I went to look at these wonders and see why you like them. If you
        get ANY decent mileage then they will be VERY popular in this
        forum. I was surprised how much more groove and rubber are on there
        for traction to the very edge.
        Very sticky feeling and grooved down to the belts.
        What size did you mount?
        Also the local Honda guy had the rear 180/55/17 for $135. No front
        in stock.

        Phil

        Message 3 of 21 , May 1, 2005
          Stock Trophy Sizing / 120 & 170 I could have done a 180... But why?

          BTW, you CAN beat that price!

          Phillip Koken
          http://www.koken.org/
          Sunnyvale, California

          AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
          YM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
        • John Elliott
          Message 4 of 21 , May 2, 2005
            Phil,
            I totally agree about the initial "turn in" being quick. But, once I got used to it (just like you....50 miles) everything seemed to fall into place (so to speak).

            As far as "road feedback" you are right on. On familiar road yesterday, I rode across some of those nasty little cracks etc. and found the bike just gliding over them with minimal feedback.

            Out of curiousity what PSI are you sticking with?
            Front: 36
            Rear: 41

            Hopefully, we will be getting a gazillion miles out of this set of Pilot Powers (hey, a guy can wish...right?)

            John E.

            95, BRG, BBBB
            Castro Valley, CA

            snip

            Message 5 of 21 , May 2, 2005
              I decided to scrub them in at 36F 42R with my mind set on testing 40F now
              that they are broken in... If it feels weird I'll drop back down a bit at a
              time until find the highest front pressure I can use without sacrificing
              traction.

              The turn in really is a LOT different than any other tire I have ridden on,
              very very fast- However now that I am used to it, I think that this kind of
              handling is much better than what I had previously. The bike is still ROCK
              stable, and I experimented with hands off of the bars at many different
              speeds to see if I could get any shake going~ nothing happened except
              straight and true tracking. Be aware if you run these tires that the first
              few corners are going to be interesting :)

              Here is a picture of a hands off stability test in action
              Two thumbs up!
              http://urltron.com/UD

              Phillip Koken
              http://www.koken.org/
              Sunnyvale, California

              AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
              YIM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
            • Tom
              Message 6 of 21 , May 2, 2005
                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Koken" <phil@k...> wrote:

                > The turn in really is a LOT different than any other tire I have
                ridden on,
                > very very fast- However now that I am used to it, I think that this
                kind of
                > handling is much better than what I had previously. The bike is
                still ROCK
                > stable,
                > Two thumbs up!
                > http://urltron.com/UD
                >
                > Phillip Koken
                > http://www.koken.org/
                > Sunnyvale, California
                >
                > AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@k...
                > YIM: philkoken ICQ: 456807

                Phil,
                I really enjoy reading your posts about the tires, suspension,
                etc. But what I am really waiting for, is for you to install a PENSKE
                rear shock. Once you have the dampening fully adjusted, the words you
                will be able to write will read like a fantastic short story about
                your favorite character!!!! The difference that it made on my machine
                was unbelievable. Talk about a machine that is compliant in the
                twisties.
                Tom D.
              • John Elliott
                Message 7 of 21 , May 2, 2005
                  Phil,
                  Keep me informed about how this goes. I'm going to stick with the 36F and the 41R for now. I'm interested as to what your findings with the 40F will be.
                  Thanks,
                  John E. 95, BRG, BBBB
                  Castro Valley, CA

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 3, 2005
                    ---------------------
                    Sent with Chatter Email
                    True push email for the Treo Smartphone

                    Message 9 of 21 , May 8, 2005
                      Hi Phil, I thought that you may also be interested to know that I am
                      currently using exactly the same tyres on my 1982 GPZ1100 Post Classic
                      race bike. Incredibly quick to grip from cold, excellent levels of grip
                      with absolutely no problems at all and wear is surprisingly minimal
                      considering the type of use. I did find your comments on the rate of
                      turn in interesting, mine feels very similar.
                      Cheers
                      Graeme

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 8, 2005
                        Tires still look new, I took the advice of the FJR owner who is running
                        Pilot Powers and raised the front pressure to 40psi - So now I am running
                        40F and 42R.

                        After 200+ miles of twisties yesterday I detected no loss of grip, there is
                        slight penalty in ride quality... But if I didn't tell you about it I doubt
                        you would be able to sense it. The tires still ride better than the Avons
                        with 36 up front even with the higher pressure.

                        The experiment continues...

                        Phillip Koken
                        http://www.koken.org/
                        Sunnyvale, California