Re: [TriumphTrophy] Legend ?

  • Steve Wassenich
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      Phil Smith wrote:

      > A friend just bought a 1999 Legend 900...
      > I've looked around and can't seem to find much info on this bike.
      > It looks like the trophy motor (900) in a sit up cruiser.

      Not sure what the "TT" means, but it's basically a less-cruiserish
      Thunderbird, sort of a cross between a regular T-Bird and the T-Bird
      Sport. It's tuned softer than the Trophy/Daytona/Speed
      Triple/Trident/Sprint, has 17-inch wheels front and back, single-disc
      front brake.

      I suppose you could think of it as a "standard" bike, more
      classically-styled than the '95-'98 (in the U.S.) Trident.
      Nice-looking bike, just didn't sell very well.

      Steve W.
    • adeux60@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24 11:45 AM
        I think it is an attractive bike - and less top heavy than the trophy

      • avu3
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24 12:15 PM
          I bought a 99 a few months back.  It was an impulse purchase because it was inexpensive and came with a load of spares.

          The triumphrat forum has a good history on them, but not much currently active since they've been out of production so long.

          They are very similar to the other "T3" Triumphs.  Closest to a Thunderbird, not as close to a Thunderbird Sport.

          I need to rework the carbs, they're dirty from sitting, so I can't comment too much on performance.
          The controls and key are surprisingly lower quality than my 96 Trophy.  Maybe that's just cost cutting in production, maybe it was specific to the Legend.

          The rear shock is horrible.  There's a common upgrade using Kawasaki Ninja zx9r parts.

          The tune on the motor is different from the Trophy.  No where near as quick.  Carbs and Exhaust have some of it, but I think the cams are also different.

          5 speed gear box.

          It doesn't have a center stand, and the center stand is unique to this model.  Good luck finding one, or you can order one from Sprint Manufacturing.

          The tanks seem to rust easily and clogged fuel filters and carbs seems common.

          They have a traditional fuel tap, not the one the Trophy has.

          I have not read any complaints about vaccum lines on the tanks.

          Same problems with Coils.

          I have not been able to find an exhaust for mine.  I don't like the upswept reverse cone that came factory.  I also don't like how it sounds.  I want open pipes that run parallel to the ground like the newer Bonnevilles.  I may have to make my own.

          Scott