Trophy / Concours

  • Keith Ley
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
      >5. The Triumph Trophy has a high low flicker switch on the left
      >handle bar that you can flash the on coming traffic. This is
      >particularily a good idea, especially entering an intersection where
      >vehicles are making a left hand turn. By flickering the lights, they
      >seem to become more aware to you as you the on coming traffic.
      >Kawasaki does not have this option, as I feel this is an excellent
      >safety item.

      Rick,
      I'd be very careful using this feature in this manner. In some areas of the
      country (northern New Jersey where I grew up) a high beam flash is taken as
      an indication that you are giving the other driver at an intersection the
      right of way to go first. It is a signal that is most often used at night
      and at 4-way stop signs or in parking lots or what not but I wouldn't trust
      it not to be misinterpreted under some circumstances.

      Keith
    • Richard (Rick) MacPherson
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
        Keith,

        Good point and one that I never gave any thought to!

        Rick MacPherson, alias b25bsaboy

        >5. The Triumph Trophy has a high low flicker switch on the left
        >handle bar that you can flash the on coming traffic. This is
        >particularily a good idea, especially entering an intersection where
        >vehicles are making a left hand turn. By flickering the lights, they
        >seem to become more aware to you as you the on coming traffic.
        >Kawasaki does not have this option, as I feel this is an excellent
        >safety item.

        Rick,
        I'd be very careful using this feature in this manner. In some areas of
        the
        country (northern New Jersey where I grew up) a high beam flash is taken
        as
        an indication that you are giving the other driver at an intersection the
        right of way to go first. It is a signal that is most often used at night
        and at 4-way stop signs or in parking lots or what not but I wouldn't
        trust
        it not to be misinterpreted under some circumstances.

        Keith

        Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments
        are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of
        the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

        FAQs:
        href="http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_
        PyLZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html"><font

      • Dean Barger
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
          Gary Nixon and Triumph motorcycles roared to the top of the American racing scene together in the 1960s, so it's appropriate that the two-time AMA Grand National Champion and 1967 Daytona 200 winner will serve as grand marshal for the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association's Daytona Bike Week festivities as the vintage-racing organization debuts the Triumph Thruxton Cup Challenge.

          Daytona International Speedway will host two full days of AHRMA roadracing, Monday and Tuesday, March 7 and 8, for rounds two and three of the 2005 Progressive Suspension Historic Cup Series for motorcycles racing from the 1930s to the 1980s, as well as modern singles, twins and triples.

          Running for the first time during Bike Week is the Triumph Thruxton Cup Challenge, a spec class for the new retro caf� racer Triumph Thruxton 900. Triumph Motorcycles (America) Ltd. and AHRMA have posted a $4,500 points fund for the 2005 series, and the champion also will win a trip to the Triumph factory in England and British-motorcycling landmarks including Ace Caf� and the National Motorcycle Museum.

          In motorcycle-racing history, Gary Nixon and Triumph will be forever linked. Of Nixon's 19 AMA Grand National wins between 1963 and 1974, the first 15 came on Triumphs, including his Daytona win. Triumphs carried Nixon to his two Grand National titles, in 1967 and �68, and the vast majority of his more than 150 national finishes.

          Through his career, Nixon was a versatile racer, but his best performances came on pavement. His first AMA national win, 1963 at Windber, Pennsylvania, was a roadrace, as were 10 more of his national victories. He competed in the Daytona 200 a total of 16 times between 1960 and 1978 and finished in the top 10 on six occasions, including his 1967 win. After parting ways with Triumph before the 1972 season, Nixon went on to roadrace for Kawasaki, and only international politics kept him from being named the 1976 Formula 750 world champion. He also competed on Yamahas and Suzukis before retiring from professional racing in 1979.

          Nixon, 64, was inducted into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 1998, and these days is found competing several times a year at AHRMA events. At Daytona he'll race a Triumph triple in AHRMA's Formula 750 and Formula Vintage classes.

          Joining Nixon in the AHRMA action � including autograph sessions at the speedway at during registration and tech-inspection day on Sunday, March 6, just west of Daytona Beach in DeLand � will be roadrace luminaries Doug Polen and Rob North.

          Polen is a two-time World Superbike champion (1991, 1992), amassing 27 wins in his four seasons contesting the series. In AMA Superbike he earned the 1993 series title and 13 victories between 1988 and 1993. Polen will compete at Daytona on one of two factory-backed machines being fielded in the Triumph Thruxton Cup Challenge.

          North, meanwhile, is synonymous with making factory Triumph/BSA roadracers � especially the in-line triples � handle properly during the late 1960s and early �70s. Several Rob North-framed machines compete today with AHRMA, and North is expected to take several parade laps on one of these motorcycles during Tuesday's activities at the speedway.

          For a complete AHRMA Bike Week schedule, visit www.ahrma.org.

        • Barry Rhodes
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
            Why not just run your high beam at all times,and slow down for intersections,assuming that the silly buggers are going to turn in front of you,that they are drunk,and you are invisible?Works for me.Paranoia is a wonderful quality when you ride motorcycles.

            The Other Barry

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
              Again, another good point, but from experience a flashing light gets more
              attention that a high beam. As a caution, I always slow down coming into
              intersections because I know the on coming traffic turning left don't always
              see you coming, especially motorcycles!

              Rick MacPherson, alias b25bsaboy

              Good point and one that I never gave any thought to!

              Rick MacPherson, alias b25bsaboy

              >5. The Triumph Trophy has a high low flicker switch on the left
              >handle bar that you can flash the on coming traffic. This is
              >particularily a good idea, especially entering an intersection where
              >vehicles are making a left hand turn. By flickering the lights, they
              >seem to become more aware to you as you the on coming traffic.
              >Kawasaki does not have this option, as I feel this is an excellent
              >safety item.

              Rick,
              I'd be very careful using this feature in this manner. In some areas
              of
              the
              country (northern New Jersey where I grew up) a high beam flash is
              taken
              as
              an indication that you are giving the other driver at an intersection
              the
              right of way to go first. It is a signal that is most often used at
              night
              and at 4-way stop signs or in parking lots or what not but I wouldn't
              trust
              it not to be misinterpreted under some circumstances.

              Keith

              Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations &
              comments
              are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use
              of
              the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

              FAQs:
              href="http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeB
              qkZ_
              PyLZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html"><font

              Service.

              Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations &
              comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor.
              Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the
              reader!

              FAQs:
              href="http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqk
              Z_PyLZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html"><font

              Service.

              Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments
              are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of
              the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

              FAQs:
              href="http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_
              PyLZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html"><font

            • Randall Rolling
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2005
                I've seen a number of sport bikes with the slider pegs
                on the side, to protect the bike in case the bike is
                laid down. Some cruisers have the crash bar with their
                cruise pegs and some have bars over the side bags as
                well. Has anyone seen anything like these items that
                can be used on the Trophy?

                Randy
                03 Honda CRF230

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Phillip Koken
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2005
                  Yes! The Trophy comes equipped with disposable slider turn signals!

                  Phillip Koken
                  http://www.koken.org/
                  Sunnyvale, California

                  AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
                  YIM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2005
                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Koken" <phil@k...>
                    wrote:
                    > Yes! The Trophy comes equipped with disposable slider turn signals!
                    >
                    > Phillip Koken
                    > http://www.koken.org/
                    > Sunnyvale, California
                    >
                    > AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@k...
                    > YIM: philkoken ICQ: 456807

                  • Randall Rolling
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2, 2005
                      LOL! That is so true. Wish I didn't already know this.

                      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250