Re: Choke Cable Fix

  • Brian Jones
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1 1:45 AM
      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Tony D." <dagostino5@v...> wrote:

      > <SNIP> I would have to add a step 2A to remove
      > (at least partially) the plastic tail piece in order to get my tank
      > off.

      Tony - you're right. It will work just unpopping the front end, but safer to
      remove it. I forgot that. Its still an quick job, with another 6 fasteners/bolts.

      Brian
    • Dave Daniel
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1 10:04 AM
        > ...know of any good sites where i can look up after market
        windscreens and seats?

        Ron,
        I'm not Tony, but here's some places to start for your windscreen
        search:

        Gustaffson Windscreens: http://www.bikescreen.com/
        Clearview Windscreens: http://www.clearviewshields.com/
        MRA Windscreens: http://www.mra.de/English/PRODUCTS.HTM
        (available through
        http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/143/)

        I have a Gustaffson +4 which works well, but turbulent air still hits
        the helmet with the resulting noise (not much improvement over stock.
        Had a Clearview that I was ok with until a bird took it out. I
        recently bought the MRA touring screen. It's shorter than stock, but
        with the upturned lip at the top it provides a very nice ride. I
        think of all 3, I'm happiest with the MRA.
      • kcmotornut
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 1 9:05 PM
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Koken" <phil@k...>
          wrote:
          > I'll come and pick it up, just let me know your contact info and
          I'll be
          > right over!
          >

          > Phillip Koken
          > http://www.koken.org/
          > Sunnyvale, California
          >
          > AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@k...
          > YM: philkoken ICQ: 456807

          Any interest in selling that top box?
        • htdb33
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 2 9:51 AM
            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Jones" Its still an
            quick job.

            cluck, cluck, cluck.

            I hear what you are saying, but its just not sinking in. If removing
            the tank is so easy, why all the whining about the air filter. Also,
            it seems to me that I have many times read warnings about the fuel
            lines under the tank getting pinched, cracked or otherwise screwed up
            during tank replacement. I believe I will leave my choke as it is.
            Triumph should have put the knob on the side anyway.

            John the big chicken
            2002 1200
          • Phillip Koken
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 2 9:59 AM
              > I hear what you are saying, but its just not sinking in. If removing
              > the tank is so easy, why all the whining about the air filter.

              Because you have to remove the fairing & the carburetors to remove the air
              filter! THIS is not a 'quick job'!

              > I have many times read warnings about the fuel
              > lines under the tank getting pinched, cracked or otherwise screwed up
              > during tank replacement.

              If you are careful about the routing, this won't happen- Since I have
              replaced my fuel lines with high pressure fuel injection hose they are
              almost 'unkinkable' anyway-

              You should remove the tank to replace your fuel lines & vacuum hose- clean
              the microscopic fuel filters etc... It's part of general maintenance!
              Otherwise you may discover yourself removing the tank in some
              less-than-ideal location to fix one of the above issues in the future.

              If you are truly 'afraid' of doing this type of work, at least take the poor
              bike to a mechanic and have them do it~

              Phillip Koken
              http://www.koken.org/
              Sunnyvale, California

              AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
              YIM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
            • Brian Jones
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 2 1:38 PM
                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "htdb33" <htdb33@y...> wrote:

                > I hear what you are saying <snip>
                > John the big chicken
                > 2002 1200
                John: nothing chicken about it at all. Just take on what you are
                confortable with. Lifting the tank lets you check your fuel/vac
                lines for cracking etc, doesn't cause it. The airfilters are awkward
                to replace. Much more fiddly than lifting the tank.
                If you saw it done once, you'd be fine.
                Cheers, Brian