Re: [TriumphTrophy] Any GPS (Sat nav) recommendations?

  • towman85@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
      garmin street pilot will not leave home without it its awesome.....that is
      the one I used first...now I use the street pilot 2620 it has all 50 states
      programmed in and works well...just came back from Florida for a 6 day rest it
      new every street and how to get back to my condo my son used it on his
      honeymoon and he was on the west cost this thing is really awesome..street pilot
      must be programmed by you and your computer takes time and patience limited map
      space but I do be live that the street pilot 3 is the more weather tight of
      the pair.towman85 at for now

    • Greg Andrews
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
        Andy,
        I have a garmin 176C, the C means color. It is awesome, but it is
        also expensive. It is meant to be used on boats,immune to vibration
        and very waterproof. It can run on batteries and also an extension
        12 volt power cord to a cigarete lighter plug. I went to the 176
        because the screen is bigger than most. It already has programed
        into it most streets and roads in the US. I will trace where you've
        been so if you get lost you can get back. The screen can be divided
        into: map+data display,map only,or data only.There are about twenty
        different data displays you can choose from. Mine is set for current
        time of day,elevation,speed,and voltage. I used to have it display
        maximum speed traveled. The cop noticed it when it displayed 91 mph.
        Oops, should have turned it off. The trip mode keeps track of all
        kinds of info. Miles traveled, average mph, plus many more. The
        mounting bracket it great, very secure. There is an optional
        external antenna that could be mounted in the car, don't need it on
        the bike. There are all kinds of ways to mount it onto the bike.
        The trick was to mount it so the speedo and the tach aren't covered
        up. I ought to send in some pictures.
        Greg Andrews
        '96 900 BRG
        39,900 smiles

        "alchemymm" wrote:Hi all, I want to buy a GPS unit that I can use in
        both my car and trophy. Anybody suggestions? Thanks Andy
      • Phil Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
          For the pure portable I like my Garmin.
          Vista (there is a new color one) is pocket size and transfers from
          car to bike in 5 seconds. Also can take it on the hike in the
          mountains to return back original start.

          three years old and indestructable and water proof. 2 AA batteries
          last all day. Power adapter for cig lighter available.

          Since I use it to plan... it can get the routes uploaded from my PC
          and then use as REFERENCE.
          I can' ride and play the GPS at the same time.

          The larger ones are nicer and can better serve the talk to you and
          play as you ride, but this bike is a handful and I can use the GPS
          as a guide. Has nice features and can run as a map to drive or a
          data bank for MAX speed, avg spd, current speed, altitude, distance
          to destination and lots of others.
          Go with a garmin.
          phil

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "alchemymm" <awestphal@g...>