Crazy Idea for a Trip

  • Bud Izen
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 27, 2004
      Well, call me crazy (and a number of you probably will), but my wife
      has a convention to attend in early February in Atlanta Georgia, and
      I was considering meeting her there on my Trophy. This will be
      pretty much a complete cross country trip, considering I live in
      Oregon.

      I was thinking that the more south I go, the better the weather
      might be, but too south, too close to the Gulf, might not be too
      much fun.

      It is entirely possible that the entire journey will be no fun, in
      which case I won't go (not being too terribly masochistic and not at
      all suicidal).

      So, your advice is more than welcome. I have all next month to
      figure out the best route, if indeed there is one.

      I like out of the way routes and prefer curves and scenery to the
      boring Interstate system.

      I look forward to everyone's input.

      Thanks in advance.

      Bud Izen
      Keizer Oregon
      '99 Platinum 900
    • Tandems Ltd
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 27, 2004
        Bud, if you get into the SE, two places I can recommend to visit:

        1) Barber's Vintage Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, AL (www.barbermuseum.org)
        2) Wheels Through Time Musuem of American Transportation, Maggie Valley, NC.

        I'm a volunteer (Fridays only) at Barber's. Travel in the south starts to
        get better around Valentine's Day, but many of us (including me) ride all
        year. If you come through Alabama, give a yell. If it's lunch time or
        dinner time, I may even spring for a meal. (AL 25 is a great road around
        B'ham, and runs by 29 Dreams Motorcycle Campground.) If you do choose to
        come through Alabama, let me know your general route and I'll get specific
        for great roads all the way through the state. And when you get to Atlanta,
        you may want to drop south to Newnan, GA, home of TMA.

        At 01:46 PM 12/27/04, you wrote:

        >Well, call me crazy (and a number of you probably will), but my wife
        >has a convention to attend in early February in Atlanta Georgia, and
        >I was considering meeting her there on my Trophy. This will be
        >pretty much a complete cross country trip, considering I live in
        >Oregon.
        >
        >I was thinking that the more south I go, the better the weather
        >might be, but too south, too close to the Gulf, might not be too
        >much fun.
        >
        >It is entirely possible that the entire journey will be no fun, in
        >which case I won't go (not being too terribly masochistic and not at
        >all suicidal).
        >
        >So, your advice is more than welcome. I have all next month to
        >figure out the best route, if indeed there is one.
        >
        >I like out of the way routes and prefer curves and scenery to the
        >boring Interstate system.
        >
        >I look forward to everyone's input.
        >
        >Thanks in advance.
        >
        >Bud Izen
        >Keizer Oregon
        >'99 Platinum 900
        >

        >Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments
        >are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use
        >of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!
        >
        >Post message: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
        >Subscribe: TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        >URL to this page:
        >
        >FAQs:
        >href="<http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_PyLZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html>http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_PyLZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html"><font
        >color="#FF0000" size="3"><strong>FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions),
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ieu1j5/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705126259:HM/EXP=1104263210/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>
        >click here

        > *
        > <mailto:TriumphTrophy-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>TriumphTrophy-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > *

        Jack Goertz
        Tandems, Ltd
        2220 Vanessa Drive
        Birmingham, AL 35242
        205/991-5519 (voice)
        205/991-7766 (fax)
        e-mail: info@...
        http://www.tandemsltd.com

        Join the TCA!
        http://www.tandemclub.org

      • Dean Barger
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 27, 2004
          Bud,

          Check out the farmers almanact for weather forecast...
          hope you like riding in rain/snow/ice.
          http://www.farmersalmanactv.com/newsletters/november/nwsltr_11155_zone5.php

          For the best route -- http://www.miatadrives.com/ or
          http://www.motorcycleroads.us/ both have real good
          index of best back roads to try.

          The real long riders are on the Motorcycle Tourer's
          Forum....http://www.mctourer.com/index.html
          See what advice they have for you - you might even
          pick up a companion for part of the route.

          I am in Jackson, MS...today the high was 45 low
          25....by Friday it will be 70.. and a low of 40 at
          night...then rain all weekend.

          --- Bud Izen <bizen@...> wrote:

          > Well, call me crazy (and a number of you probably
          > will), but my wife
          > has a convention to attend in early February in
          > Atlanta Georgia, and
          > I was considering meeting her there on my Trophy.
          > This will be
          > pretty much a complete cross country trip,
          > considering I live in
          > Oregon.
          >
          > I was thinking that the more south I go, the better
          > the weather
          > might be, but too south, too close to the Gulf,
          > might not be too
          > much fun.
          >
          > It is entirely possible that the entire journey will
          > be no fun, in
          > which case I won't go (not being too terribly
          > masochistic and not at
          > all suicidal).
          >
          > So, your advice is more than welcome. I have all
          > next month to
          > figure out the best route, if indeed there is one.
          >
          > I like out of the way routes and prefer curves and
          > scenery to the
          > boring Interstate system.
          >
          > I look forward to everyone's input.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Bud Izen
          > Keizer Oregon
          > '99 Platinum 900

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • Tony D.
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 27, 2004
            Bud,

            I'm in south Florida with the family on vacation and the weather is
            great but the drivers are down right dangerous! Just the other day,
            I saw a Lincoln going down route 1A and appeared not to have a
            driver?!? A closer look revealed some knuckles on top of the
            steering wheel and a bit of blue hair. As much as I'm missing my
            Trophy tucked away with a foot of fresh snow in New England, I would
            be very afraid of riding in anything that closely resembled a
            retirement community. Be careful to steer clear of them which ever
            route you choose.

            Have a safe trip,

            Topny D. '01 1200
          • Brian Jones
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 27, 2004
              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Bud Izen" <bizen@c...> wrote:

              > Well, call me crazy (and a number of you probably will), but my wife
              > has a convention to attend in early February in Atlanta Georgia, and
              > I was considering meeting her there on my Trophy. This will be
              > pretty much a complete cross country trip, considering I live in
              > Oregon.
              <snip>

              Bud - I'm the last person to put a downer on what could be a great ride, but
              you - or rather Oregon - is one side of the rockies, and Geogia is the other,
              and it'll be February when you go?

              Hell - even Houston just had 12" snow (first in living memory). I hate to think
              what the mountains can drop?

              Maybe if you head down route 1 to s.Cal., and then east across Texas, you'll
              be OK.

              Or pick a different time of year...

              Best ,

              Brian
            • Greg Andrews
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 28, 2004
                Bud,
                Yes, you are crazy. That's a long ride even in the best of seasons.
                However, it might be possible IF the roads are dry. Yesterday's
                Kansas City weather was good for riding. Low 30's-50's. I started
                the day with the my Widder electric vest, arms and gloves, as the
                day warmed up I turned the thermostat down to off. Electric heated
                clothing would be a must for your trip. The Gallup,New Mexico area
                is about 6,000 ft. in elevation, its going to be cold. Back to dry
                roads. Crossing the Rockies even as far south as I-40 would be
                questionable. Are you prepared to wait in a motel for days and let
                the roads dry off. The curvey scenic roads you like are not
                maintained very well in the winter. Wet spots will be icey and
                falling down in the middle of nowhere is tough on the body and the
                bike.
                Now on the positive side, If you come through Kansas City you are
                welcome for a night's stop over for sleeping and bike maintenance.
                Wouldn't that be something if you had invites all across this great
                country. Good luck, and may God be with you.
                Greg Andrews
                '96 900 BRG
                39,900 smiles

                Sorry group, for invoking God. I don't mean to be getting religious.
                But anybody trying to cross the Rocky mountains twice, and not
                wanting to go too far south, in the middle of winter is going to
                need devine intervention for good weather.

                Bud wrote:
                Well, call me crazy, I was thinking that the more south I go, the
                better the weather might be, but too south, might not be too much
                fun. So, your advice is more than welcome. I have all next month to
                figure out the best route, if indeed there is one. I like out of the
                way routes and prefer curves and scenery to the boring Interstate
                system.
              • Phillip Koken
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 28, 2004
                  I think this trip can be done, simply stay South! Down through California,
                  across Arizona and Texas etc~ There is no reason you have to ride a straight
                  line across the country.

                  There are a lot of very nice roads that could be rolled into this journey,
                  sounds like fun to me!

                  Phillip Koken
                  http://www.koken.org/
                  Sunnyvale, California

                  AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
                  YIM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
                • Barry Rhodes

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 28, 2004
                      Pick your route through the mountains carefully. You want south,
                      and low elevations. I was inland from San Diego last February, and
                      found snow by the side of the road, and ice running across the road
                      at Mount Polomar (6,500 ft.) in the late afternoon.

                      Larry
                      '97 900 BRG

                      > I think this trip can be done, simply stay South! Down through
                      California,
                      > across Arizona and Texas etc~ There is no reason you have to
                      ride a straight
                      > line across the country.
                    • Dean Barger
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 31, 2004
                        Prescott, Arizona | Red Rocks Raid
                        First Year Event...
                        Fm: 4/15/2005
                        To: 4/17/2005

                        Birmingham, Alabama | East Coast RAT Rally
                        Our first ever National Rally!...
                        Fm: 4/29/2005
                        To: 5/1/2005

                        Osage Beach, Missouri | Ozarks Raid
                        Join us for the first Ozarks Raid...
                        Fm: 5/13/2005
                        To: 5/15/2005

                        British Columbia/Alberta Canada | Western ...
                        See Torque, North American Issue 33 for details...
                        Fm: 5/29/2005
                        To: 6/6/2005

                        Big Bear Lake, California | Big Bear Raid
                        Join RAT for the 2nd annual...
                        Fm: 6/10/2005
                        To: 6/12/2005

                        Quinault, Washington | Olympic Peninsula Raid
                        Tour the breath taking land scape...
                        Fm: 6/24/2005
                        To: 6/26/2005

                        Parry Sound Raid | Parry Sound Raid
                        Rugby Songs, block parties, parades, kilts...
                        Fm: 7/6/2005
                        To: 7/10/2005

                        Nelson, British Columbia | Kootenay Raid
                        The best riding at any RAT raid...
                        Fm: 7/21/2005
                        To: 7/24/2005

                        Steamboat Springs, Colorado | West Coast RAT ...
                        Steamboat got so big we had to call it a RAT Rally instead of a Raid...
                        Fm: 7/29/2005
                        To: 7/31/2005

                        St Mary's, Pennsylvania | Allegheny Raid
                        The 5th Annual Allegheny Raid...
                        Fm: 8/12/2005
                        To: 8/14/2005

                        Stowe, Vermont | New England Raid
                        The 2nd annual New England Raid has a new location...
                        Fm: 8/19/2005
                        To: 8/21/2005

                        Crystal Bay, Nevada | Tahoe Raid
                        Will the Tahoe Raid be the biggest rookie event of the year?
                        Fm: 9/9/2005
                        To: 9/11/2005

                        Robbinsville, North Carolina | The Dragon Raid
                        The Dragon. 318 corners in 11 miles...
                        Fm: 9/23/2005
                        To: 9/25/2005

                        Hot Springs, Arkansas | Hot Springs Raid
                        Join us for the 2nd annual Hot Springs Raid...
                        Fm: 10/7/2005
                        To: 10/9/2005

                        Bud Izen <bizen@...> wrote:
[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT